A:EftP storyline - get back into the game after a 2 year hiatus

Hi all,

I last played A:EftP 2 years ago and I had racked in 47 hours of playtime. I'd like to get back into the game, however I don't want to start over. I'd like to continue playing where I left.

The issue is, of course, not knowing my bearings or what I'm supposed to do next. I have around 20 pending quests. So, the first course of action is going through my journal to learn the quests I was on etc.

Secondly, I'd like to read some backstory to refresh my memory on what is going on in Avernum.

Thirdly, and I don't know if this is possible, I'd like to read the main plotline up until the quest I'm currently on. I'll provide the quest name once I get back home.

Can any help me out with the second point until I post the quest name to get feedback on the third point?

Thanks very much!

Well, the Empire rules the surface world, and they use the vast underground cave system called Avernum as a prison colony for criminals, malcontents and misfits. That's you.

Beyond merely surviving in the harsh environment, while fighting off an assortment of monsters, bandits, and Nephilim (cat-like people also exiled from the surface), Avernites have several major obstacles:

1. Slithzerikai - These intelligent but savage lizard people are apparently native to the caves. They were here first, and for some reason don't want to share their scarce resources with invaders. They mostly express this reluctance with pointy sticks.

2. Demons - This is more of a long-term threat, but in addition to the usual assortment of imps and such, there are some seriously bad demon dudes down here, who would be only too delighted to kill you all for their own amusement. The powerful mages of Avernum seem to have these guys more or less contained. For now...

3. The Empire - Seriously, what a bunch of jerks. First they throw you down here with nothing but a dagger, not caring whether you live or die, then they still try to boss you around and manipulate your leaders. Okay, so they're not so much an immediate threat, but it sure would be nice to get back at them somehow...

I think I can summarize most of the quests and items

Collection Quests - these are ones where you just have to drop off items to certain NPCs.

Aranea Fangs - Alchemist in Fort Draco wants these. I think she gives 50g per fang

Mushroom Meal - Jan in Formello wants these to feed the townsfolk. She gives you 15g per bag, and collects up to 50 total.

Iron Bars - I think this was the blacksmith in Blosk. She gives you 20g per bar I think, and collects up to 42

Fort Draco Wine - Bill and Bill in Fort Draco want the wine. They'll give you 10g per bottle

Alequest - A guy in Spire wants Ale. He gives you 10g per bottle, up to 30 total.

Bars and Hammers - The smith in Silva wants 3 iron bars and 3 hammers. After this, he'll ask for 3 pincers and tongs, I think (check the job board after handing them in)

You also seem to be missing a collection quest from Benth in the Castle. You have a Crown Token, so you can enter the Castle without a problem.

Major Quests (ones directly related to beating the game, I won't spoil anything)

The Castle (just go inside and talk to the King).

The Empire Orb - You've met an anti-Empire group called Scimitar. To join them, they want you to destroy a communication device that the empire is using.

Erika the Archmage - You need to talk to her for one of the main quest lines. You can't get to her unless you have the North Seas boat or the Orb of Thralni

Banish Adze-Haakai - You've spoken to Solberg, a former leader of the Tower of Magi. He's concerned because a demon was summoned in the Tower. He recommends reforging Demonslayer before trying to fight it (it looks like you have 2/3 pieces of it). This quest needs to be completed because it gives a particular item that you need for a later quest.

Orb of Thralni - I don't know if you've finished this quest or haven't received it yet (check your inventory for it). The item is required for all of the endings, I believe.

Other Quests

Murdering Mentta - Dexter in Almaria wants you to kill him for some reason (I think he was cheated in a deal or something). You can kill him in Dharmon without the guards attacking you, but your reputation will suffer: Dexter isn't exactly a law-abiding citizen.

The Wisdom of Khoth - A priestess in Formello wants to see if the dragon Khoth has a scroll that she wants to read.

Pyrog's Papers/Knowledge - 3 different people want these papers, and you can only give them to one of them. They are Evyss in Kyass, Rita in Patrick's Tower, and Thrantia, an empire agent under Formello. The dragon Pyrog has them, and won't give them up without a fight.

Message - Shaynee - Shaynee runs a Bazaar near Fort Spire. Leith in Blosk wanted you to deliver a message to her.

Recruitment: Abyss Mage - You've spoken to Kyass of Kyass, who is recruiting mages for his new city. This particular one was sent to the Abyss, and you can find him in Fort Spire.

Black Drake Fang - An alchemist near Bargha wants a black drake fang. You can find it in the north seas (you probably don't have access to that boat yet.)

Ethridge's Ghosts - A trainer in Bargha has ghosts that are haunting her. They're NW of the city, and if I recall, they're a bit difficult.

The Walking Dead - Mayor Vicky in Blosk wanted the undead destroyed before they attack a town and get out of control. I think they're near the scree pits, but the location should be marked on your map.

And finally, the items:

Crown Token - The mayor of Formello gave this to you. It is required to enter the Castle, the capital of Avernum

Blessed Athame - You took this from the Tower of Magi. It's a dagger so sharp that it can cut anything, but the blade is too small to be used in combat.

Silver Circlet - You conned the leader of Spire out of her most prized possession. No one really knows what it does, but you might find a use for it later on.

Lost Message - Not sure... I think maybe this is what you're supposed to give to Shaynee

Demonslayer parts - You have 2 out of 3 of them. Check the map for where the last one is, I think the one you're missing is in the Nephar prison. They're parts to Demonslayer - a powerful artifact brought down from the surface.

Drath's Spellbook - A lich's spellbook, which you took when you killed Drath (or injured him enough to let him escape). 3 NPCs will end up wanting this, but not until you've done Pyrog's Papers.

Graymold Salve Recipe - You found this in an abandoned hut. This lets Kai in Patrick's Tower make Graymold Salve.

Brooches - These are found in various locations. At this point you don't know what they're for.

Keys - Various keys that open doors. One that I noticed you're missing is the Gold Key. If you've helped Patrick out in the Tower (his quest isn't in your quest log so I think you have), then he'll tell you to check his journal out in his room. That journal gives you the password to open a gate in the Castle which allows you to get the Gold Key.

Wow, thanks a lot man! You know Avernum like the back of your hand. That's seriously helpful, I appreciate it. Once I get to continue playing it (I'm on the last quest in Avadon II) I'll read everything I can and hopefully I can get back into the game like I left off yesterday.

No problem. Enjoy the game!

I'll ask here so that I won't have to clutter the forum with another thread:

Fetch quests, such as mushroom meal - don't they ever go away? Or do I need to bring, say, 50 bags of meal for the quest to be struck off my journal? I just find a large quest list annoying. Wish I could filter it.

Also, where can I find 2 hammers? I only have one!

No, they never go away.

There are plenty of hammers to be found in Ft. Draco, I believe. Probably some in the Nephilim fortress. I think I remember one in the Bandit outpost, and you can steal one in Ft. Duvno if you're really desperate. Really they're all over the place. You'll find dozens of them when you're not looking for them anymore. :p

Filters, mainly. I like customisability. Off the top of my head:

- Filtering by location (town/area)

- Filtering by objective (hunting/messages/fetch quests/discovery)

- Filtering by importance (main quests/side quests)

- Ability to hide quests from the quest list

- Ability to jot down notes on each quest entry (and the ability to write down notes on the area map (perhaps not the world map))

No, they never go away.

Actually, most of them do go away. If you give Jen at least 50 bags, then ask her if she needs any more, she'll say no, and the quest will be removed from your list. The only ones that can't be removed, I think, are Aranea Fangs and Works of Magery. Although in the actual game, I've never managed to get enough iron bars or wine to remove those two quests from the list.

As for hammers, I remember there was a good number of them in an early dungeon... the Goblin Caves or Bandit Fort maybe. They also had a number of pincers and tongs for the following delivery quest.

Mechalibur is right, the only fetch quests that don't disappear are Aranea Fangs and Works of Magery. I think simply because you don't find enough of these items to fill the quota?

As for the hammers:

The smith in Silvar needs 3 hammers, 3 bars of iron, 3 picks, 3 shovels, 3 pincers, and 3 tongs.