Which game to start from the series?

xuerebx

I think I'll be purchasing the whole series from Steam. :) But, realistically speaking, I don't have time to play them all. I barely get 4 hours a week for gaming (hence I've been playing Avadon for ages).

Should I start from G4, and perhaps read through what happened in the first 3 games online?

Obviously ideally I'd play them all, but I have to be realistic. I don't have the time but I'd like to experience these highly esteemed games.

Thank you

I'd start with Geneforge 1. If you find the engine too clunky, try the next game. In general I'd say G1 is kind of the basis for a lot of stuff and has a really great story, Geneforge 2 and 3 are probably the least necessary and you can play either one to get an idea of what's going on, and Geneforge 4 and 5 are both highly worthwhile.

—Alorael, who might pick G3 over G2. You get an introduction to a couple of rather important characters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I'll be purchasing the whole series from Steam. :) But, realistically speaking, I don't have time to play them all. I barely get 4 hours a week for gaming (hence I've been playing Avadon for ages).

Should I start from G4, and perhaps read through what happened in the first 3 games online?

Obviously ideally I'd play them all, but I have to be realistic. I don't have the time but I'd like to experience these highly esteemed games.

Thank you

I would strongly recommend you get the Geneforge series from Gog.com and NOT from Steam (unless you have some love for DRM and having to deal with 3rd party clients that force you to go through tons of crap just to play the games).

Gog games have NO DRM and do not require you to have or use any 3rd party client.

I would strongly recommend you get the Geneforge series from Gog.com and NOT from Steam (unless you have some love for DRM and having to deal with 3rd party clients that force you to go through tons of crap just to play the games).

Gog games have NO DRM and do not require you to have or use any 3rd party client.

There was a big sale over on GOG a few weeks ago. The Geneforge series was something like €6. However, I did not purchase the games as I actually want my games in one repository (Steam). I don't find the DRM intrusive at all. Just load up Steam when I turn on the computer and that's that. Find it very handy when I format my computer or move around.

There was a big sale over on GOG a few weeks ago. The Geneforge series was something like €6. However, I did not purchase the games as I actually want my games in one repository (Steam). I don't find the DRM intrusive at all. Just load up Steam when I turn on the computer and that's that. Find it very handy when I format my computer or move around.

Yeah I know that a lot of people have no problem with Steam. For me personally it did not accomplish anything good and every time I tried to use it to play any of the games I bought through Steam it was a series of delays and intrusive buggery. Auto-patching, followed by some sort of conflict or problem, asking me to sign in again (and root around for my Steam account information etc. A very Rube Goldberg-ian scheme. I much prefer just double clicking a shortcut to the game I want to play and then playing it right away, rather than go through a series of hurdles and problems with their client and such.

Coincidentally, spiderweb's games are all on sale today till December 2nd I believe.

I was going to buy the geneforge series....but instead I opted for ALL spiderweb games :D. I've got all the geneforge games, the second avernum trilogy, EftP (I already owned this), and both avadon games.

Get them while they're hot!

Realistically I won't play them all, but it's nice to own the whole collection now :)

I have you beat I think. Not only do I have all of the SW games that GOG has (which is not all of SW's games unfortunately) but I also bought ALL of SW's games from Humble Bundle's sale, plus I bought the registered BoE and BoA when they first came out from Spiderweb. Plus I am pretty sure I own the Geneforges and maybe the Avernums again through Steam (which I have not used in a few years and won't use again of course). ;)