(A5) Never killed Dervish Tholmen, but it doesn't recognize?

Vexivero

Anybody else had this problem? I'm doing it on torment, so I wanted to get every advantage I could and this really pissed me off when I realized I couldn't convince Ruth to leave even though I never killed Tholmen. My plan was to use the Darkside trainers cause they buff you up with some good stuff and then slaughter everybody there, but now I can't.

I am wondering if this is the issue??

http://postimg.org/image/evfkut6mt/

During the fight, I holed my fighters up in this little corner so I wouldn't have to use any potions cause everybody kept rushing me. I am wondering if that was too far away from when Tholmen escapes that it doesn't register?? Or maybe there is some other prerequisite that I failed. I only wanted to play this through twice, but I am strongly considering doing a third runthrough and if I do I want to make sure I know everything.

I had the same problem with the game thinking I had killed him. I don't know if it was a bug or file corruption.

I wound up giving Ruth a special item to keep on the good side with the Darkside Loyalists and then eventually editing a script to give me back the item. I don't remember how I did it at the time, but there are examples of how to give yourself a reward and finding out item numbers.

Thanks a lot; I will have to look into that cheat then. Solberg's papers never even crossed my mind

Wow, I read that thread. You are crazy for even trying a torment singleton, but major props for finishing! I'm good with just beating it on torment, much less using one character.

Btw, do you remember what your strategy was for beating Moref the shade??? I've looked up how to beat him and people say "look for the flashes of light", but I can't even see those, and am unsure as to what you're supposed to look for. Plus, my screen doesn't cover the entire cavern by one or two spaces so I cannot see all of the shades at once. I went back with a level 28-29 party and still was getting killed. That may be because I was unwilling to let it drag out by using potions, but still that is a quest for characters half that level

Moref is hard and with one character I could usually see a flash at the start of the shades' actions. Otherwise use an area effect spell on a group and watch for the one that takes damage. Then have the rest attack that one shade. Also watch for the message that Moref moves to a new shade so you don't waste time on the old one.