Question: increasing skills with coins?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
Cdherr Cdherr

New Arrival

• Member ID: 13,217
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:12 PM #1 Question: increasing skills with coins?

How does one do this? I am playing the first two games. Next to where the skill point cost is for each skill is listed a cost to increase it with coins, but I cant seem to figure out how to train my characters in this way. Help! Am i misunderstanding or missing something? Thanks! Absolutely loving the series by the way :)

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,914 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:46 PM #2 Question: increasing skills with coins?

This changes in the later games, but in the early games you need to go to a trainer and go inside the room to talk to him or get the train button in the roster.  For the first game the trainer is in the northeast part of Silvar.  Later games in the second trilogy let you train anywhere.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software.  Please leave your sanity at the door.  Right next to the fluffy turtles that are feeding on sanity.  :)
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:35 PM #3 Question: increasing skills with coins?

View PostRandomizer, on 22 October 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

For the first game the trainer is in the northeast part of Silvar.

The FIRST trainer is in the northeast corner of Silvar. There are plenty of other trainers too, so don't mistakenly think you have to keep travelling back to Silvar to train!

Cdherr Cdherr

New Arrival

• 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:19 PM #4 Question: increasing skills with coins?

Thank you guys for the quick replies, but I think I may not have been clear in my question. I am in the training screen while in the training room in Silvar, and I have no idea what I click or do on the training screen to raise my stats or skills (for example cave lore) in exchange for the given number of coins. The fact that i cannot raise them using skill points is unsurprising given that i've none left over after my last level, but shouldn't I be able to raise them using the number of coins listed? I have over 100 at this point and yet I can't raise a single skill even in the training room....?

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,914 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:23 PM #5 Question: increasing skills with coins?

The early games require money and skill points from going up a level.   There are some NPCs that will raise a skill for just money.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Cdherr Cdherr

New Arrival

• 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:24 PM #6 Question: increasing skills with coins?

I think i understand now actually -- the # of coins listed is ALSO paid when training in addition to the skill point, so they are not exclusive..?

Agitproprioception Agitproprioception

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:31 PM #7 Question: increasing skills with coins?

Training a skill requires skill points AND money, yes.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Cdherr Cdherr

New Arrival

• 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:07 AM #8 Question: increasing skills with coins?

Ah, thank you for confirming that for me -- I must admit, I felt rather silly when i realized it was not an either/or kind of thing, but thank you guys so much for the help! Still absolutely loving the series so far, though, and I haven't had so much fun playing a game like this since I went through the Might & Magic series :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users