New spells/abilities? Spell upgrades?

Strategy Central is a good place to look for places with topics on where you can go to get training, maps, and lots of spoilers on where things are located. Basically talk to every named character in town for quests, training, or hints about the game because some things won't happen until you talk to the right person or go to the right spot.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door so you can view the game in the right frame of mind. :)

To answer your question more directly, try speaking to Carol in Fort Duvno for some priest spells She's in the NE corner if I recall correctly.

For mage spells, you'll need to head up to Formello. You'll have to go there fairly early anyway, to do the quest for the Mayor, so speak to Mother Claudette for any more priest spells you're missing, and hit up Miles (in the library to the south of Claudette) for your mage spells. I'd recommend buying from Carol before Claudette because Carol is cheaper, but it's not that big a loss if you just do everything in Formello.

(I found the information here, which is linked from the Strategy Central thread: http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/16401-trainers-avernum-escape-from-the-pit-spoilers/)