A:EftP - Are hybrid characters viable in this game?

Hello,

I created a hybrid party and played for a while until I found this forum.

Then I saw I have already invested too much skill points into Arcane Lore and to First Aid, which is considered to be a waste.

So far so good - I started a new party, but then, again, I am not seeing any hybrid characters here.

So my question is - are they a viable build?

I am talking about:

fighter - archer/throwing

priest - archer/throwing

mage - fighter

Obviously such builds require one to spread his stat and skill points thin as It won't be solely focused on STR/END, but let's say STR/DEX/END. Also - dmg skills will be less focused.

So, do I risk getting into a situation where my dmg output or hit chance is too low because I have not maxed Skills/Stats?

Should I reset or can I continue?

p.s. played Av4 and Av5 but always had my chars be 100% dedicated (Tank, archer, mage ...) I want to try something new.

As you say, the problem with hybrids is that you have to invest in two primary attacking stats, so they'll generally be at a disadvantage compared to more focused builds. But if by "viable" you just mean whether you can complete the game with a party of characters like that, then the answer is yes, especially if you're playing on Normal difficulty or lower. Remember that you can adjust the difficulty at any point during the game if you feel like you've run into a brick wall.

You can actually do quite a bit more variety than just the ideal builds (pumping a single primary attack stat), and still beat the game - even on torment. For example, check out RBD's play-through, where he beat the game on torment with a party where no character had more than half their points in any of the primary stats (str/int/dext/end):

http://spiderwebforu...torious-heroes/

• 1 month later...

Well, I recently finished torment with a somewhat hybrid party. What I've found out is that you can branch out your character in terms of stats and skills, but you shouldn't expect to have a character that's equally good with weapons and magic. There's very little point to it; if you have two modes of attack, you should just stick to the one that's the most powerful. My party had two mages and a priest in it, and they had 10 points in melee or ranged. The point of this, however, wasn't to have a backup attack option, but instead to put points toward adrenaline rush and either hardiness or gymnastics.

I only ended putting up around half of my points into the primary stat (int for my 3 casters, strength for my warrior), while the rest went into dexterity for the warrior and one of the mages (it was extremely important for outdoor battles, since total party dex decides who goes first), and endurance for the other mage and the priest. In fact, the priest ended up being the tank. It worked out very well having her in front, especially since the penalty to attack from all her armor didn't end up mattering much.

You *can* beat the game with pretty much any party, especially on normal, but specializing in one attack type is usually for the best.