The "Goblin Mine" Crystals

Almny

Early in Avernum 6 the party encounters a collection of supposedly rare, large crystals in the goblin occupied cave. This *seems* like an important find, especially given the importance of a rare, large crystal at the end of the story. However, my party never did ended up using (or even telling anyone about) the crystals.

Did I miss something in my play-throughs?

Was this a potential path for the last quest that ultimately was left on the cutting room floor?

We may be talking about the same thing. I took a screenshot of the crystals and their location, but I'm having trouble finding a way to embed it in the post. The in-game text states:

There are five natural crystal spires, glowing dimly with natural magic. All nearly flawless, all waiting for someone to extract them and take them to the Tower Colony. Sadly, as they weigh tons, you won't be able to claim them.

I really expected there would be more to these crystals (especially what happens to the Great Portal and the end game quests).

Ok. I guess the purpose of the discovery was just to demonstrate how desperate the situation in Avernum had become that people were just leaving nearly priceless treasures unclaimed.

Not necessarily. Those crystals are potentially very useful if the wizards at the Tower Colony can transport them without damaging them, and if they get appropriately enchanted without anything going wrong, which would be a lot easier if the wizards aren't focused on the little matter of the demon prince hanging out in their upstairs. And all this would take months, where the situation in Avernum 6 occurs over the course of a few weeks. (Assume that one day passes every time you visit a city or settlement, and you still won't add up to more than thirty days, I'm pretty sure.)

Ok. I guess the purpose of the discovery was just to demonstrate how desperate the situation in Avernum had become that people were just leaving nearly priceless treasures unclaimed.

Not necessarily. Those crystals are potentially very useful if the wizards at the Tower Colony can transport them without damaging them, and if they get appropriately enchanted without anything going wrong, which would be a lot easier if the wizards aren't focused on the little matter of the demon prince hanging out in their upstairs. And all this would take months, where the situation in Avernum 6 occurs over the course of a few weeks. (Assume that one day passes every time you visit a city or settlement, and you still won't add up to more than thirty days, I'm pretty sure.)

Maybe Avernites just don't like crystals? There's a perfect crystal formation with purported magical powers near Cotra in every Avernum game that takes place in the main caves. I've sure several NPCs comment on it, and your party definitely travels to it, and yet it's never studied or claimed or anything of the sort. :p

• 1 month later...
There's a perfect crystal formation with purported magical powers near Cotra in every Avernum game...

I think it's a kind of a quasi-secret, if my memory serves me correctly. Somehow I recall that it's not exactly a known location and that there are people who seek the magical crystal cavern. Could be that many a adventurous soul doesn't wish to risk his or her life in search of a place that may or may not be there. EDIT: For example in the first game there's a guy, a wizard, in the Darkwyrm Inn who gives you a hint of the crystal cavern after you finish a quest for him, almost as though it was a mighty reward for a heroic deed. That'd certainly imply towards the rarity of the knowledge of this cavern. (Or maybe it wasn't a quest... maybe you had to mention someone's name before he would divulge the hint.)