Avernum 2 Let's Play!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Robe is armor enough.

If the armor encumbers the Mage, he/she won't be able to cast any Mage spell beyond Slow! (Unless the Mage has the Natural Mage trait.)

As for experience found between Fort Draco and Formello, Chessrook is not using a party of Custom characters... Nor has he bought any spells or spell levels yet.

Edited by Ishad Nha

Ishad is correct. And my mage DOES have the Natural Mage trait. Each member has a trait in fact (Though Talia has two, one being a penalty trait, and Recksss has none, being a Slith). So that said, it is probably just too much armor since I'm trying to protect her.

ANd as for missing the experience... I'd never miss the experience! I want ALL the experience!

That said again, let's wrap up a little cleanup and prepare for more exploration.

Today I finished A2 and I feel that A2 is tougher than A1. You will sometimes need Control Foes to get the monsters at each other's throats. Bind Foe is needed a lot.

Cave Slime can be beaten with a party full of level 8 Custom characters. Start the fight as soon as you see the Slime, Haste the Mage, Slow the Slime and use ranged weapons. It probably won't get acid on anyone.

Edited by Ishad Nha

You won't get Level 3 Curing for some time, hence it is a good idea to bring down Cave Slimes before they hit you with the acid. Said acid takes a while to wear off.

Healers can tell you if an item is cursed, you will see the Uncurse Item entry for a given PC's healing-required screen. Apart from cursing, no item ever has any negative effects so you can wear it immediately.

Uncursed never did anything to make the item useful when I tried it in A1, it does enable the item to be dropped.

Chapter 1 takes place in an area that is roughly 2x2 outdoor sections in size. Hence Chessrook can walk or boat to Formello right now, when he wants new spells or Identification of items. Walking or boating will also restore health and spell energy.

(If he has not played Exile 2 or Avernum 2 before, the Chapter 1 area is bounded by those cubic magic barriers.)

Spellbook you can't read, you need an item that you won't get till Chapter 4.

Ent Bel Tor, you will learn what this means later on.

Alice mentioned other libraries, check all unexplored edges of the map, you will find a concealed room...

The Clearing that Rose mentioned, you would call it a "difficulty spike", I would call it a death trap.

Edited by Ishad Nha

easy? keep dreaming.

when I played A2 I needed to do those even I had done preliminaries (probably).

Well two out of three of them were easy. The Test of Battle? The problem there is my characters are either focused on melee combat and do lots of damage there, or focused on ranged combat and powerful there but limited on amount of attacks.

Either way, this time we check out another town, then another Vahnatai resting facility.

That is the Test of Speed for sure...

You can always come back later to do the Test of Battle, you are doing it voluntarily not because you need to. Other two tests are easy enough.

Test of Battle can be passed without hassles if you use wise tactics.

Stockpile wands, scrolls and potions.

Make sure only one opponent can attack you at any one time.

Bless, Haste and Shield yourself, if you can.

Use healing pools.

(You can flee at least some of the fights and still pass the test.)

Edited by Ishad Nha