Best class for a playthrough?

adc.

BEST CLASS  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Best class

Self-explanatory.

But I would like your opinion guys, what is the best class that you've chosen? From Geneforge 1-5, I've always chosen Shaper because they call you "Shaper" regardless of what you choose, plus the story revolves around the shapers.

Achtung! Unnecessary ranting below v.v

I've always got that feeling that a class in games, no matter how non-linear it is must be that and nothing else. Confusing I know, a good example is in Skyrim, where you are free to choose a race, but I feel forced to play a Nord since, hello, it is Skyrim, home of the Nords. And in Oblivion, I feel forced to play as an Imperial because Cyrodiil. Same goes for Geneforge 4, I choose lifecrafter because that's what they call you, it kinda feels awkward to play as a servile whilst being called a lifecrafter. Geneforge 5 is somewhat improved because as a servile, you truly feel like a servile having access to options no other classes can.

I've played Shaper in Geneforge 1, but I die in one to four hits. I've rarely played guardian and never played agent.

It depends what class you are good at playing.

Shaper can be the easiest class with lots of intelligence for an essence pool. Then hang back and let the creations do all the killing. But the downside is herding them and keeping them alive in a dangerous environment zone.

"Best" can depend somewhat on the game. For example, the new Parry ability made Guardians much more powerful in G2 than they are in any other game. On the other hand, one doesn't have to read to the Strategy Central threads for long to realize most classes in most games have reasonably powerful builds. They do tend to require somewhat different tactics, though.

I've played all three classes in G3, and all can be quite quite powerful. I played a Shaper in G1 because I wanted to experience some of the unique aspects of how shaping worked in that game. I played a Guardian in G2 for similar reasons. In G4 I used a Servile.

I suppose, if I had to choose one class, the G1 Shaper might be my favorite, but that's because of the original style shaper robes more than anything else. Shaper fashion got less interesting starting in G3.

It depends what class you are good at playing.

Well, it does seem like there's no best class

"Best" can depend somewhat on the game. For example, the new Parry ability made Guardians much more powerful in G2 than they are in any other game.

THIS is the answer I'm looking for.

Well thanks guys, I think I'm going to stick to being a pure-blooded Shaper, but Guardian in G2

If you're looking for the classes the receive the most advantages due to the varied mechanics in each game:

G1 - Shapers (with anything, due to disposable creations)

G2 - Guardians (with Parry, due to Parry being OP)

G3 - Shapers (with Vlish, due to creation level up mechanics)

G4 - Shapers (with disposable Wingbolts or Drayks)

G5 - Shapers (with Battle or Magic Shaping)

Agents (and Serviles in G4 only) are also pretty good in G3-G5 due to Daze spells, but not quite up to the ease of Shapers.

In G5, the three loyalist classes (Shaper, Guardian, Agent) receive significant bonus resistances, which put them above the other options.

If you're looking for the classes the receive the most advantages due to the varied mechanics in each game:

G1 - Shapers (with anything, due to disposable creations)

G2 - Guardians (with Parry, due to Parry being OP)

G3 - Shapers (with Vlish, due to creation level up mechanics)

G4 - Shapers (with disposable Wingbolts or Drayks)

G5 - Shapers (with Battle or Magic Shaping)

Agents (and Serviles in G4 only) are also pretty good in G3-G5 due to Daze spells, but not quite up to the ease of Shapers.

In G5, the three loyalist classes (Shaper, Guardian, Agent) receive significant bonus resistances, which put them above the other options.

SHAPERS FTW!!! Now this is some answer I'll keep in mind. So I do what in GF2? Spend all my skill points on parry? I was deciding to play on hard-torment, so I'd need every advantage I could scourge from the forums, but only the basic ones, as I want to explore the others myself.

Almost to 1k posts *heavy breathing*

The Agent, who else am I suppose I pick :p . Agents feel stronger to me, and I also like going solo in many of my games. I just hate micromanaging 7 creatures when playing Shaper, and I don't like running up the big bad Battle Alpha just for my Guardian to get hit next turn. Btw, I'm telling this from a non game mechanical point of few. I'll let you Spidweb fanatics decipher what class is best for min maxing optimized gameplay. Also, you left out the G4-G5 classes, so I'm assuming you are only referring to G1-G2-G3 playthroughs.

BTW, this is my opnion on the matter. I think they all "the best," since really when you pick a class, all you are doing is deciding how you want to play the game. When you pick Shaper, you create an army of beasts, but do minimal battling yourself, and only act as support. When you pick Guardian, you melee and parry (with the occasional body guards), and with Agent you play with magic and do some melee when needed, but your weak when it comes to making that Drayk. Of course, you can be one of those that plays the no Shaping Shaper on torment difficulty, but I've never been crazy enough to do that.

~RainbowDashRadical

I always like the shaping-heavy classes. They feel like the best embodiment of what Geneforge is really all about. Serviles, too, to a lesser extent.

—Alorael, who is just disappointed that no one, rebel or Shaper, ever calls you out for your use or abuse of creations. No one cares if you have drakons in tow. No one cares if you beat your drayks and then absorb them. No one cares if you snuggle your vlishes. Cruel, jaded world.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only played up to 3, but my vote is Agent. I played a shaper in 1 and sucked atr it-- granted, I didn't know what I was doing.

A lot of it is personal preference-- I like to be the spellslinger AND dextrous character in games, and my style of gameplay in general also caters to such a character-- (my preferred weapons are bows/projectiles and polearms-- man it would be cool if we had more than just swords and knives...)

I found creations to simply be too much of an investment, and the Guardian just doesn't appeal to me or my style of gameplay (love Alwan, though)