Easiest way to get Exile games working in Windows 8?

TogashiDeckard

freedos is free and its ms-dos compatible and you don't need older Windows than XP to run 16-bit progs (Windows 3.11 is other option but not that easy to get anywhere except on ebay maybe unless wants to trust on abandonware-sites (can't give links since those are against forum rules) and quick proper search gives you links).

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried the Avernum games, and really they just didn't catch my interest at all like the Exile games did, which I LOVED. I know they can be played on 64 bit systems, but what's easiest? Assuming it takes a process to get it working, can I get a walk-through? Thanks!

I feel the exact same way. Exile is just better than Avernum.

I've tried doing this before only to quit in frustration, but I finally got the exile games to install and run on dosbox with perfect graphics and sound after hours of failures using windows 3.1. This may sound sad, but this is the best day in a long time for me! Time to go nerd out :D

—Vexivero, who still recalls that Sunday in July when he finally got Exile to play on Dosbox. After multiple failed attempts, it was extremely gratifying, and one month later he is still playing them.