The First Orian Quest Is Giving Me Fits

UniversalWolf

I've so far spent over two hours (two boring hours) following this guy around, and nothing happens. I tried going back to Eye What's-Her-Name in the castle to tell her nothing happens, but there is no new dialogue. I checked posts about this quest in this forum, read the FAQ, followed the instructions, re-read the FAQ, tried again. I tried staking out all three of Orian's campsites. I let him enter and stop three, four, five times...nothing happens. I follow him from one campsite to the next. Nothing happens. I talk to him, then try again. Nothing happens. He never does anything suspicious.

I would appreciate it if someone could give me utterly precise, unmistakably exact instructions.

I was rather enjoying the game, but if I can't get this to work I'm going to quit. It's too annoying to keep flailing away, and even more annoying to skip it.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Are you getting the message about him looking around for something and not finding it? If not, you're not close enough.

When following him, do you see any messages about him noticing you? If so, then you're too close.

The simplest method is to do what I recommend on the Annotated Maps (link in my sig, or use the Beraza Pits link from the faq). Stand on the spot I marked with an orange X, and wait there until he shows up and the message appears. Then when he leaves, follow at a safe distance and catch him at the eastern site.

Are you getting the message about him looking around for something and not finding it? If not, you're not close enough.

Sounds like not close enough is the answer.

Thanks.

I will update this post if I succeed so you won't have spend eternity wondering.

UPDATE: Following the lead of the annotated map I stood a bit closer, and the rest of the quest triggered normally. Pretty touchy scripting on that one. Orian's demise was fractionally more satisfying as a result.

Thanks again.

Edited by UniversalWolf