Avernum Let's Play!

Lets Play Avernum

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic
Earth Empires Earth Empires

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,661
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:29 AM #36 Avernum Let's Play!

View PostIshad Nha, on 17 July 2014 - 08:36 PM, said:

Divine Fire usually does thin out the ranks of the enemy though... This saves spell points on healing.
Lightning Spray is good for Fire Lizards, Smite lacks punch generally.

yea div. fire was only well enuf effective spell against those Sliths near Horned Gate and Formello in Avernum 6.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 6,380
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:45 AM #37 Avernum Let's Play!

If there is one thing I cannot abide or tolerate, it is this.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,773
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:54 AM #38 Avernum Let's Play!

Recall Crystals send the party back to Fort Avernum, this is sometimes useful, especially if you have been spotted by a party that is too tough to fight.
Mind Crystals give you permament, once a day, abilities. (Which I usually forget to use.) Alternately, they boost skills. Should be used immediately when you find them.
If the PC already has the ability, he presumably does not gain a second daily use of it?
If the two front guys have spell points, they get targeted by Mung Demons. This spares the spellcasters. Front rank guys can't kill serious opponents in one go, but they can Haste the entire party when they find the level 3 version of the spell. If Hasted, spellcasters can cast two spells per round!
When you need to find higher level spells:
Spoiler

Edited by Ishad Nha, 19 July 2014 - 04:41 AM.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,575 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:30 AM #39 Avernum Let's Play!

More slith, more killing.  This time an entire village.  I'm starting to feel a bit bad about it...

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:26 AM #40 Avernum Let's Play!

Intelligence seems not to be as useful for spellcasters as Strength is for warriors.
Spell Energy (Base: 4 * INT + 4 * MAG + 4 * PRI) - How much energy you have to cast magic spells. When you cast a spell, you lose some energy. It comes back slowly with time when you’re outdoors. Otherwise, you need to rest to restore this
For Spell Energy, Priest Spells and Mage spells are each as effective as Intelligence.

B is the spells bonus. Your bonus for casting mage spells is your mage spells skill plus half of your intelligence. Your bonus for casting priest spells is your priest spells skill plus half of your intelligence.
For the spell's Bonus, the spell skill is twice as effective as your Intelligence.

Your PCs can cast any spell in the game with only an Intelligence of 4.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,575 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:30 AM #41 Avernum Let's Play!

I just want to say, I named this episode "Rigor Mertis".  I'm not sure whether the city name was meant to be a stealth pun or not, considering all the undead it deals with.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:26 AM #42 Avernum Let's Play!

Paralyzation: cast Unshackle Mind, you may need to know spell at level 2 or 3.
You should be heading to the Tower of Magi: you can rest, get healing, get items identified, sell excess junk and buy spells. You can also get some interesting quests.

9,000 is the limit for money. If you already have that much, the program won't tell you that you are selling stuff for no additional money!
By the middle of the game you will be made of money, you need to find stuff to spend it on..

Edited by Ishad Nha, 21 July 2014 - 04:29 AM.

Heart of Avadon

• 4,184 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:57 AM #43 Avernum Let's Play!

View PostChessrook44, on 19 July 2014 - 03:45 AM, said:

If there is one thing I cannot abide or tolerate, it is this.

what exactly? warning signs or what?

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,575 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:16 PM #44 Avernum Let's Play!

View PostEarth Empires, on 21 July 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

what exactly? warning signs or what?
Slavery.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,575 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:33 AM #45 Avernum Let's Play!

A short episode, as we deal with a curse.  Or try to.  I'm sure this curse will NEVER bother Mertis again!

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:36 AM #46 Avernum Let's Play!

You should now head towards the Tower of Magi, the game is based upon you doing that. Keep fighting and exploring till you reach it. Honeycomb will be easier if you go to the Tower first.

Front rank guys should start with a level in Mage and Priest spells, I found it handy. Later in the game it can be picked up on the cheap. Mung Demons will target the front rank guys and dumbfound them totally, all to no real effect.

Tool Use, I started with a level of 8 in this skill. You could make sure that your level in this skill is about half the experience level of the given PC.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,575 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:34 AM #47 Avernum Let's Play!

I'm considering with that level once I find a way to cheaply teach them the early spells (Which I did in my backlog, I just need to remember where I found it), so they can provide some support when they can't reach places.  It's a good idea, even when not knowing about the Dumbfound thing.

Onwards into the honeycombs with... honestly are not that bad.  Not really at all confusing either.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:20 AM #48 Avernum Let's Play!

You need Safe Travel at level 3 to handle lava. Which you will find later in the game.
At the least you need to have Mass Healing, and every Dragonskin item you can find.

Repel Spirit at level 3 enables you to attack both undead and demons with the same spell. Imps die quickly with this spell.

Heart of Avadon

• 4,184 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:42 AM #49 Avernum Let's Play!

Avernum 1 remake has place which teaches all early spells but its a bit late on game so it prolly is in A1 too, dunno how hard it actually is since I cleaned that place with late game party.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:59 PM #50 Avernum Let's Play!

There is a lot of good stuff, once you get to the Tower and then Patrick's Tower you should be able to hit it big.
I use Custom for my PC's classes hence 9 skill points for the two front rank guys is no big deal when they start with a total of 65 points.
Priest in Chessrook's party should have started the game with as many spells as he could, the lack of Safe Travel and the two Mass spells is glaring.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,575 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:28 AM #51 Avernum Let's Play!

You say that Ishad, but now with our visit to the Mage's Tower we'll be picking up a lot of those spells you say we need... and more!

Though I wonder why mages always mess around with things best not messed with...

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:58 AM #52 Avernum Let's Play!

The nine official classes all have no spellcasting ability or only half the ability of a Custom character. The four default classes are bad news in the spellcasting area.
If you are using the default party the idea is to head south, to the Tower of Magi, as soon as you can.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,880 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:08 AM #53 Avernum Let's Play!

View PostChessrook44, on 24 July 2014 - 02:28 AM, said:

Though I wonder why mages always mess around with things best not messed with...
This is answered in Avernum 6 by the Castle representative in the Mage Colony.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,575 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:30 AM #54 Avernum Let's Play!

Fighting some ogres and finding some towers.  Not much to say beyond that.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:36 AM #55 Avernum Let's Play!

Normally if you can't get through a door, you can't get through a nearby wall. Occasionally there are exceptions...
Adze Haakai is mid-range dangerous, you can always try to see how far you get. Now you have Haste at level 3 you can haste the entire party.
Far Sight at level 3 can be cast outdoors, just the thing for exploring.

I am trying to decode the item data array, in Town.dat, to see what each item actually does. Item descriptions don't give a lot of hard information.

You can replace existing PCs with people you meet in Cotra and Silvar. I am doing a playthrough with the default party, party is playable I suppose.

Edited by Ishad Nha, 26 July 2014 - 02:08 AM.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,575 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:33 AM #56 Avernum Let's Play!

Almaria, city of Wine.  I feel low-class just being here.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:38 PM #57 Avernum Let's Play!

Recall Crystals send the party back to Fort Avernum, this is sometimes useful, especially if you have been spotted by a group of monsters that is too tough to fight.
Not only may the Crystals save your party from an unwinnable fight, they may avoid the need for a beaten-up party to use a whole lot of expensive Energy Potions and Elixirs.

Edited by Ishad Nha, 26 July 2014 - 07:40 PM.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,575 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:44 AM #58 Avernum Let's Play!

At long last we've reached The Castle, home of King Micah.  I am sure we will learn much here.

Spoiler

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:39 PM #59 Avernum Let's Play!

View PostIshad Nha, on 26 July 2014 - 07:38 PM, said:

Recall Crystals send the party back to Fort Avernum, this is sometimes useful, especially if you have been spotted by a group of monsters that is too tough to fight.
Not only may the Crystals save your party from an unwinnable fight, they may avoid the need for a beaten-up party to use a whole lot of expensive Energy Potions and Elixirs.

I don't think I ever used a recall crystal in ANY of my many games (both Nethergate and Avernum). They might be cool, but they're really not an essential item by any means.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:20 PM #60 Avernum Let's Play!

They are cool, especially when you need to go back to the starting area to complete a quest or whatever.
They really add to the magical feel of the game.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,575 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:41 AM #61 Avernum Let's Play!

GOD DAMN COWS!  Oh and apparently we find a tower or something.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,575 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:07 PM #62 Avernum Let's Play!

Early post due to two-parter as we look at a fort and a village, furthering our explorations.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:43 AM #63 Avernum Let's Play!

Even if only one person has a Crystal Shield you can still win a fight against a lot of Basilisks.
Have the guy with the Crystal Shield move between the party and the Basilisks, they will all target him, even when spellcasters blaze away at them.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,575 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:32 AM #64 Avernum Let's Play!

And now we visit a small farming town, Blosk.  Jeez there's a lot of cities in the Great Cave here... least it seems mostly secure.

Spoiler

Heart of Avadon

• 4,184 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:27 AM #65 Avernum Let's Play!

yea its secure besides bandits and other things.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,575 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:33 AM #66 Avernum Let's Play!

View PostEarth Empires, on 30 July 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

yea its secure besides bandits and other things.
I did say MOSTLY secure.

These guys... of all the creatures in all the games, these are my most HATED.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:39 AM #67 Avernum Let's Play!

My party fought their way through the Gremlin's Gold maze today. It had its annoying moments but it was not too bad.
Party explored in exploration mode then entered combat when they saw a Gremlin. Front two PCs attempted melee when they could reach the Gremlin(s) in one round. Gremlins did not live that long once the spellcasters could target them.
Spellcasters blazed away with missile weapons and fire spells.

Unshackle Mind removes the confusion effect completely.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,575 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:18 PM #68 Avernum Let's Play!

Another two-parter because this episode just wouldn't end.  Checking out a fort, a city, and doing various errands.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:15 PM #69 Avernum Let's Play!

The meaning of the Brooches will become clear later on...
Underground Fort, the one with all the Nephilim that is north of Cotra:
taking the Dagger from the altar leads to the party being dumbfounded, then they face a nasty fight with three Demons. Solution is to have one Restoration Brew in the inventory of the Priest. When the Priest uses the potion it will end his/her dumbfounding and enable the Priest to cast Unshackle Mind on the Mage. Then the two spellcasters can cast normally.
(In the A1 Template this is town #6. For the Template see:
http://spiderwebforu...rnum-1-template)

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,880 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:23 PM #70 Avernum Let's Play!

Also if you can have your party in the northeast corner of the room at the start of the fight you have a better defensive position.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lets Play, Avernum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users