Normally if you can't get through a door, you can't get through a nearby wall. Occasionally there are exceptions...

Adze Haakai is mid-range dangerous, you can always try to see how far you get. Now you have Haste at level 3 you can haste the entire party.

Far Sight at level 3 can be cast outdoors, just the thing for exploring.

I am trying to decode the item data array, in Town.dat, to see what each item actually does. Item descriptions don't give a lot of hard information.

You can replace existing PCs with people you meet in Cotra and Silvar. I am doing a playthrough with the default party, party is playable I suppose.

Edited by Ishad Nha

Recall Crystals send the party back to Fort Avernum, this is sometimes useful, especially if you have been spotted by a group of monsters that is too tough to fight.

Not only may the Crystals save your party from an unwinnable fight, they may avoid the need for a beaten-up party to use a whole lot of expensive Energy Potions and Elixirs.

Edited by Ishad Nha

Recall Crystals send the party back to Fort Avernum, this is sometimes useful, especially if you have been spotted by a group of monsters that is too tough to fight.

Not only may the Crystals save your party from an unwinnable fight, they may avoid the need for a beaten-up party to use a whole lot of expensive Energy Potions and Elixirs.

I don't think I ever used a recall crystal in ANY of my many games (both Nethergate and Avernum). They might be cool, but they're really not an essential item by any means.

My party fought their way through the Gremlin's Gold maze today. It had its annoying moments but it was not too bad.

Party explored in exploration mode then entered combat when they saw a Gremlin. Front two PCs attempted melee when they could reach the Gremlin(s) in one round. Gremlins did not live that long once the spellcasters could target them.

Spellcasters blazed away with missile weapons and fire spells.

Unshackle Mind removes the confusion effect completely.

The meaning of the Brooches will become clear later on...

Underground Fort, the one with all the Nephilim that is north of Cotra:

taking the Dagger from the altar leads to the party being dumbfounded, then they face a nasty fight with three Demons. Solution is to have one Restoration Brew in the inventory of the Priest. When the Priest uses the potion it will end his/her dumbfounding and enable the Priest to cast Unshackle Mind on the Mage. Then the two spellcasters can cast normally.

(In the A1 Template this is town #6. For the Template see:

http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/10981-avernum-1-template)

Gremlin Cave fight was winnable for my party...

This is a must-win fight to complete one of the main missions.

Everybody in my party can cast Haste at level 3, as well as Slow. Mage has Fireblast.

Try a different approach like Control Foes, it might work to a degree. Make sure everyone is fully healed before combat.

Edited by Ishad Nha

Gremlin Cave fight was winnable for my party...

This is a must-win fight to complete one of the main missions.

Everybody in my party can cast Haste at level 3, as well as Slow. Mage has Fireblast.

Try a different approach like Control Foes, it might work to a degree. Make sure everyone is fully healed before combat.

I actually decided to instead wait until I'm further along in the endgame to try it, considering how difficult it was at my level.

Either way, now we move on into the Crypt of Drath, a tomb filled with undead to re-kill, and possibly a special reward at the end.

Demonslayer Pommel was found after a fight that you found too tough, in an earlier dungeon.

Where Healing level 3 is found.

Healing level 3 is found near Bolt of Fire level 3, use Far Sight.

List of spell and town names, just the thing for recording where you found a spell.

Bolt of Fire

Light

Call Beast

Bind Foe

Haste

Slow

Ice Lances

Unlock Doors

Create Illusions

Far Sight

Lightning Spray

Dispel Barrier

Summon Aid

Beast Ceremony

Fireblast

Arcane Summon

Arcane Shield

Arcane Blow

Healing

Curing

Battle Rage

Shielding

Repel Spirit

Smite

Summon Shade

Safe Travel

Unshackle Mind

Mass Healing

Mass Curing

Sanctuary

Divine Fire

Control Foes

Return Life

Divine Warrior

Divine Restoration

Divine Host

Names of the towns in Avernum 1 Template:

0 Silvar

1 Fort Avernum

2 Fort Duvno

3 Brigand Fort

4 Goblin Caves

5 Cotra

6 Underground Fort

7 Cave of Motrax

8 Formello

9 Nephilim Fortress

10 Upper Nephilim Fort

11 Under Nephilim Fort

12 Spider Cave

13 (Empty Town)

14 Fort Draco

15 Mertis

16 Spiral Pit

17 Athron's Lair

18 Ogre Cave

19 Tower of Magi

20 Shattered Fort

21 Hidden Tower

22 Island Fort

23 Swamp City

24 Fort Dranlon

25 Aranea Cave

26 Aranea City

27 Slith Temple

28 Upper Slith Temple

29 Almaria

30 Slith Castle

31 Upper Slith Castle

32 Slith Fort

33 Foul Cavern

34 Lair of Pyrog

35 The Castle

36 Slith Fortification

37 Gremlin Cave

38 Crypt of Drath

39 Crypt of Drath, L2

40 Crypt of Drath, L3

41 Stagnant Tunnels

42 Giant Castle

43 Giant Basement

44 Hidden Island Tower

45 Fort Emerald

46 Gnass

47 Blosk

48 Tower of Patrick

49 Ruined Bandit Lair

50 Bandit Lair

51 Fort Spire

52 Spire

53 Bargha

54 Below Bargha

55 Lair of Khoth

56 Black Spire

57 Tower of Barriers

58 Fort Saffron

59 Dharmon

60 Fort Remote

61 Fort Remote Ruins

62 Gremlin's Gold

63 Skarragath

64 Skarragath Ruins

65 Prison of Grah-Hoth

66 Erika's Tower

67 Ruined Fort

68 Strange Cave

69 Grah-Hoth Fortress

70 Pit of the Drake

71 Tower of Sulfras

72 Final Gauntlet

73 Strange Cave

74 The Royal Spire

75 Bat Cave

76 Ancient Crypt

77 Lost Bahssikava

78 Bahssikava Tunnels

79 Bahssikava Deeps

Now is a splendid time to explore the Waterfall Warrens

Where Healing level 3 is found.

Healing level 3 is found near Bolt of Fire level 3, use Far Sight.

Amusingly enough I don't remember where THAT spell is either. I admittedly just took a quick look in the annotated maps above just to get a reminder.

Either way, on to clear out a fort... and then take care of a demonic presence.

Crypt of Drath level 2, I think you missed a few doors in the east of the map.

Slith Fort:

Normally if you can't get through a door, you can't get through a nearby wall. Occasionally there are exceptions...

Unlock Doors level 3 will take a while to be found...

Demonslayer Pommel:

Fort north of Cotra

Healing, Bolt of Fire at level 3

Top floor of the Nephilim Fort west of Formello. Use Far Sight on the East side of the fort.

My spellcasters had all their spells when they were the same level as yours. Mine concentrate mostly on spell skills, their weapon skills are weak. Potion Making is left to the first PC.

Money for spells comes from vacuuming every dungeon for every thing that is more valuable than a cloak. Waterfall Warrens will be helpful here...

Increasing your front rank PC skill in Mage spells means that Mung Demons will target them not the spellcasters.

Edited by Ishad Nha

Unlock Doors, level 3, you don't just find it someplace. You have to run around a bit, clear out a certain dungeon then commute between three towns.

I think the Ring of Exposure is cursed and useless, hence its low monetary value.

Demonslayer, you are looking for a forge where the sword can be re-forged.

Curing level 3

Town 6, Underground Fort, where you found the Pommel of Demonslayer.

Edited by Ishad Nha

There is a problem in Below Bargha that can totally mess up one of the three main game quests. I don't understand its cause. Fixing it requires resetting all towns!

You might want to make a new save game every day, if you are not doing so already, until we can figure out what is wrong here.

It has hit someone else too, see the topic Scimitar Ambush.

Use the Orb to practice flying when on land, that tells you what its range is, not all that much. If you do this when on land you won't drown when it runs out of power. You can't use it when you are already flying.

You can use the Orb of Thralni to fly around Almaria, no need to enter the town unless you actually want to.

Stagnant Tunnels, the dungeon where you found the Orb, you missed some secret doors in the NE part of the map.

If you need the level 3 Unlock Doors you probably are missing a key or you failed to spot a secret door!

Some skills can be obtained by paying an NPC trainer in a town or by a Mind Crystal:

Mind Crystal - Blademaster

Mind Crystal - Anatomy

Mind Crystal - Gymnastics

Mind Crystal - Magery

It seems that no NPC can ever increase your skill beyond a value of 5. So you increase it to 5 via the NPC, then use a Mind Crystal if you have one.

Your party seems short of money because you don't clear out a dungeon the way I do, you may not be able to afford all the money for buying skill levels.

Edited by Ishad Nha