After finishing my Let's Play of Nethergate: Resurrection and Geneforge, my quest to do all the Spiderweb Software games takes me to AVERNUM! Gonna be a while to get through all these, but this should hopefully be good, and I hope you guys enjoy it!

Behold the first episode below! Let me know how you enjoy the vids, and if you guess who the party characters are named after, you win cookies!

Aye, Take Notes is what I'm using for now... though I'm considering grabbing a pen and paper to write them down.

And aye Aerukai, entertainment for the summer. And likely for the next year as well, considering how long the 5-game-long Geneforge Series went.

Either way, here's a two-parter as we explore Fort Duvno, locked doors, and BRIGANDS!!!!

I suppose that makes a little sense. You wouldn't really think Avernum has been around and together THAT long to be able to have abandoned forts like that, but then again it may have gotten lost in the Nephilim war at some point and they never got it back or something.

Either way, this episode we do a bit of wandering and the like.

It is probably an abandoned Avernum Army fort or whatever. The law is a bit weak in this part of the kingdom too.

Isn't there text in one of the games that actually says this is what happened? It was built on a hill for defensive purposes and then got overrun. Pretty sure it trades hands a lot over the course of the series.

I figure the most powerful party has two pure warriors and two pure spellcasters. The Priest majors in Priest spells and minors in Mage spells, and vice versa. Spellcasters go for Endurance and Intelligence to a lesser degree. My warriors take one level in Priest and one in Mage, this provides quick healing while the spellcasters dish out proper spell damage.

I figure Spiderweb games reward devotion to only one pursuit, melee or spellcasting.

I figure the most powerful party has two pure warriors and two pure spellcasters. The Priest majors in Priest spells and minors in Mage spells, and vice versa. Spellcasters go for Endurance and Intelligence to a lesser degree. My warriors take one level in Priest and one in Mage, this provides quick healing while the spellcasters dish out proper spell damage.

I figure Spiderweb games reward devotion to only one pursuit, melee or spellcasting.

I tend to do devotion as well, but in a different way. One pure mage, one pure priest, one pure warrior, and one primary warrior who also focuses on the lockpicking. I've generally given my spellcasters a bit of skill in bowmanship to make up for when their spells are not effective (What use is the mage's damage when a fireball doesn't work and Ice Lances are too expensive to be worth the situation?).

Either way, onwards with the next episode, where we check a fort, decide where we'll next go......and I add a bit of something for the viewers to see.

You can restore mana by walking outdoors, recharge while exploring. Some spells can target more than one enemy at once. My spellcasters use bows a bit but don't spend many points on them, they are only a new party.

A lot of the A1 skills have Base values, this is a relic from the original version of Nethergate. Ditto the lack of a list of quests.

I admit, the main reason I never give my pries a point in mage spells is because I don't want her tossing out fireballs, only to run low on energy when I NEED the healing. Likewise the mage, tossing out healing spells when I NEED the damage power. The warriors though, I may consider.

Either way, onwards to Formello which... I admit, whenever I think of Avernum, Formello is the city I always think of. I'm not sure why, I just like it. Maybe I should build a summer home there...

You can restore mana by walking outdoors, recharge while exploring. Some spells can target more than one enemy at once. My spellcasters use bows a bit but don't spend many points on them, they are only a new party.

Yea but in dungeon or xxx's lair its better to save mana for big baddies than on minions.

Your maximum number of spell points is 4 * (INT + MAG + PRI). Hence it does not matter if you take a level of Priest spells or a level of Mage spellls, your spell energy ration is the same either way.

Your first three levels of Priest spells costs a total of 13 skill points. By the time a PC reaches level 16 in Mage spells, 13 points will only yield 1 extra level in that skill.

"Yea but in dungeon or xxx's lair its better to save mana for big baddies than on minions."

In some dungeons you are free to leave the place and go back to town, you will often need to go sell some junk. You can recharge mana while doing that.

Linear games get a bad press, the game is linear like a railway line that only goes from Point A to Point B. A1 is not like that, you can roam anywhere. Flip side is that you may run into a wandering encounter that is just too tough for your low-level party.

If you are being followed by a wandering encounter that is too tough for you and you can't shake it off, use a Recall Crystal.

Edited by Ishad Nha

That information on energy points and how they're calculated is news to me. Until now I always thought Energy Points were solely based on Intelligence, while Mage/Priest points simply governed which spells you could use. Definately something I'll keep in mind.

Anyway, onwards into the Nephilim Fortress, to kill everything and find a necklace. Should be fun!

In Nethergate: Resurrection the core exploration spells are all laid on for a Celt party:

you can start the game with Piercing Sight and Pass Portal.

In the Goblin Pits you can rapidly acquire Hovering Feet.

Once you finish the Ruined Hall you can go to the Stone Circle and learn Break Barrier. Wise use of skill points will soon give you level 7 in Craft Circle which you need to actually cast the spell.

There are no spell levels, once you have the spell it is yours.

By contrast, A1 is trickier. Level 3 in Safe Travel is needed to cross lava without doing a Mass Healing every other move. (You must find where that is located.)

Some or all of the Dragonskin items may keep the damage within reasonable limits.

Edited by Ishad Nha

Unlike BoA, you are never told how many of a given item are stocked in a given shop. Common items usually never run out, the rarer the item the more likely that there is only 1 instance of it for sale.

I don't worry about Hardiness or Defense for my spellcasters. High powered spells mean the enemies don't normally live long enough to do serious harm.

I whipped up a quick list of the potions and what they need:

Healing Potion

Heals damage.

Needs Healing Herbs

This concoction cures a reasonable (though not great) amount of damage. Has a sweet, lemony flavor.

Potion Making skill needed for this potion: 1

Curing Potion

Cures poison, disease.

Needs Healing Herbs

This soothing, gentle libation greatly alleviates the effects of poison and disease in your system. Minimal side effects.

Potion Making skill needed for this potion: 1

Hasting Potion

Makes user faster.

Needs Energetic Herbs

When drunk in combat, this powerful liquid doubles your speed, increasing the action points you get each round. Tastes bitter and strong.

Potion Making skill needed for this potion: 2

Energy Potion

Restores spell points.

Needs Energetic, Spiritual Herbs

This potion increases your reserves of spell energy. Tastes like old fungus. Burns going down.

Potion Making skill needed for this potion: 3

Strength Potion

Stronger in combat.

Needs Spiritual Herbs, Toadstools

Drink this in combat, and watch your muscles swell and your skin grow stiff and hard. Your attacks will be more powerful, and blades will seem to slide off of you.

Potion Making skill needed for this potion: 4

Graymold Salve

Cures bad conditions.

Needs Graymold

Made from graymold, one of the rarest potion ingredients, this salve can cure practically any nasty affliction, from poison to acid. Rare and greatly in demand.

Potion Making skill needed for this potion: 5

Balm of Life

Used for Raise Dead.

Needs Healing, Spiritual, Energetic

While this potent balm is useless by itself, it enables you to cast the spell Raise Dead, which miraculously enables you to restore life to a fallen comrade.

Healing Elixir

Heals damage.

Needs Toadstools, Healing

This sweet, delicate potion heals a great deal of damage.

Hasting Elixir

Makes user faster.

Needs Spiritual, Energetic Herbs

When drunk, this oily liquid doubles your actions in combat. The effect lasts much longer than that of the weaker version.

Potion Making skill needed for this potion: 6

Energy Elixir

Restores spell points.

Needs Healing, Energetic, Mandrake

This potion restores a large number of spell points, which can hopefully be used to get yourself out of whatever mess you find yourself in. Don't hold the liquid in your mouth ... it can cause nasty burns.

Potion Making skill needed for this potion: 8

Strength Elixir

Much stronger in combat.

Needs Mandrake, Toadstools

Strenth Elixir functions much like a Strength Potion, only much more so. The effect is more powerful, the duration is longer, and the taste is nastier.

Potion Making skill needed for this potion: 8

Restoration Brew

Very powerful healing.

Needs Mandrake, Graymold

The first of the three mighty brews, Restoration Brew heals all damage and removes practically all damaging conditions.

Potion Making skill needed for this potion: 9

Protection Brew

Good combat protection.

Spiritual, Energetic, Mandrake, Toadstools

The second of the three mighty brews, Protection Brew shields the user from all damage for a short period of time.

Potion Making skill needed for this potion: 10

Heroic Brew

Very strong aid in battle.

Graymold, Energetic, Mandrake, Toadstools

The greatest of the potions you are able to make, heroic brew turns its imbiber into an amazing fighting machine. Drink it quickly. The taste is disgusting beyond human comprehension.

Potion Making skill needed for this potion: 12

Mandrake is needed all too often.

You really need to spend the money and skill points on higher level spells: Mass Healing, Divine Fire, Lightning Spray... By level 11 you should have them.

I think the difficulty of the game is based upon the expectation of spellcasters spending most of their points on either Priest Spells or Mage Spells.

Edited by Ishad Nha

Recall Crystals send the party back to Fort Avernum, this is sometimes useful, especially if you have been spotted by a party that is too tough to fight.

Mind Crystals give you permament, once a day, abilities. (Which I usually forget to use.) Alternately, they boost skills. Should be used immediately when you find them.

If the PC already has the ability, he presumably does not gain a second daily use of it?

If the two front guys have spell points, they get targeted by Mung Demons. This spares the spellcasters. Front rank guys can't kill serious opponents in one go, but they can Haste the entire party when they find the level 3 version of the spell. If Hasted, spellcasters can cast two spells per round!

When you need to find higher level spells:

The Tower of Magi is the ticket here. Go south from Silvar. A Temple is found there too.

Edited by Ishad Nha

Intelligence seems not to be as useful for spellcasters as Strength is for warriors.

Spell Energy (Base: 4 * INT + 4 * MAG + 4 * PRI) - How much energy you have to cast magic spells. When you cast a spell, you lose some energy. It comes back slowly with time when you’re outdoors. Otherwise, you need to rest to restore this

For Spell Energy, Priest Spells and Mage spells are each as effective as Intelligence.

B is the spells bonus. Your bonus for casting mage spells is your mage spells skill plus half of your intelligence. Your bonus for casting priest spells is your priest spells skill plus half of your intelligence.

For the spell's Bonus, the spell skill is twice as effective as your Intelligence.

Your PCs can cast any spell in the game with only an Intelligence of 4.

Paralyzation: cast Unshackle Mind, you may need to know spell at level 2 or 3.

You should be heading to the Tower of Magi: you can rest, get healing, get items identified, sell excess junk and buy spells. You can also get some interesting quests.

9,000 is the limit for money. If you already have that much, the program won't tell you that you are selling stuff for no additional money!

By the middle of the game you will be made of money, you need to find stuff to spend it on..

Edited by Ishad Nha

You should now head towards the Tower of Magi, the game is based upon you doing that. Keep fighting and exploring till you reach it. Honeycomb will be easier if you go to the Tower first.

Front rank guys should start with a level in Mage and Priest spells, I found it handy. Later in the game it can be picked up on the cheap. Mung Demons will target the front rank guys and dumbfound them totally, all to no real effect.

Tool Use, I started with a level of 8 in this skill. You could make sure that your level in this skill is about half the experience level of the given PC.

I'm considering with that level once I find a way to cheaply teach them the early spells (Which I did in my backlog, I just need to remember where I found it), so they can provide some support when they can't reach places. It's a good idea, even when not knowing about the Dumbfound thing.

Onwards into the honeycombs with... honestly are not that bad. Not really at all confusing either.

There is a lot of good stuff, once you get to the Tower and then Patrick's Tower you should be able to hit it big.

I use Custom for my PC's classes hence 9 skill points for the two front rank guys is no big deal when they start with a total of 65 points.

Priest in Chessrook's party should have started the game with as many spells as he could, the lack of Safe Travel and the two Mass spells is glaring.