Avernum Let's Play!

Lets Play Avernum

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic
Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 6,380
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:42 AM #1 Avernum Let's Play!

After finishing my Let's Play of Nethergate: Resurrection and Geneforge, my quest to do all the Spiderweb Software games takes me to AVERNUM!  Gonna be a while to get through all these, but this should hopefully be good, and I hope you guys enjoy it!

Behold the first episode below!  Let me know how you enjoy the vids, and if you guess who the party characters are named after, you win cookies!

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:32 AM #2 Avernum Let's Play!

With this short episode, we step outside into the caves of Avernum!  And yes I am aware of how odd "Outside into caves" sounds.  Gonna have to get used to it.

Spoiler

ottakoi ottakoi

Citizen

• Member ID: 6,516
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:41 AM #3 Avernum Let's Play!

Agree with you that the lack of a quest journal is hugely annoying. The Take Note button might be useful in keeping track of quests though.

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,537 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:17 PM #4 Avernum Let's Play!

I made a side quest list a few years ago that may help.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Aerukai Aerukai

Citizen

• Member ID: 12,382
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:47 PM #5 Avernum Let's Play!

Entertainment for the summer. Thanks.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:17 AM #6 Avernum Let's Play!

Aye, Take Notes is what I'm using for now... though I'm considering grabbing a pen and paper to write them down.

And aye Aerukai, entertainment for the summer.  And likely for the next year as well, considering how long the 5-game-long Geneforge Series went.

Either way, here's a two-parter as we explore Fort Duvno, locked doors, and BRIGANDS!!!!

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:21 AM #7 Avernum Let's Play!

Yanno I find it interesting whenever a group of bandits manage to secure their own fort.  Not something you'd really expect them to have like this, now that I think about it.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,773
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:14 AM #8 Avernum Let's Play!

It is probably an abandoned Avernum Army fort or whatever. The law is a bit weak in this part of the kingdom too.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:27 AM #9 Avernum Let's Play!

I suppose that makes a little sense.  You wouldn't really think Avernum has been around and together THAT long to be able to have abandoned forts like that, but then again it may have gotten lost in the Nephilim war at some point and they never got it back or something.

Either way, this episode we do a bit of wandering and the like.

Spoiler

Earth Empires Earth Empires

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,661
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:11 AM #10 Avernum Let's Play!

there's nephil outpost near and towns near that fort are bit far from eachothers each with their own probs and also are bit unmanned and unequipped.

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,448 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:37 AM #11 Avernum Let's Play!

View PostIshad Nha, on 06 July 2014 - 03:14 AM, said:

It is probably an abandoned Avernum Army fort or whatever. The law is a bit weak in this part of the kingdom too.

Isn't there text in one of the games that actually says this is what happened? It was built on a hill for defensive purposes and then got overrun. Pretty sure it trades hands a lot over the course of the series.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:33 AM #12 Avernum Let's Play!

True enough about the fort, I suppose I just didn't expect it to happen so soon.  Then again I ALSO don't know how old Avernum is at this point.

Either way, into an unfinished dungeon.  COOL!

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:31 AM #13 Avernum Let's Play!

An exploration of the city of Cotra and the environs to the north.  Not much to say beyond that.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:51 PM #14 Avernum Let's Play!

Two-parter episode as we free guards, kill Nepharim, and try desperately to end the episode!

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:21 AM #15 Avernum Let's Play!

I figure the most powerful party has two pure warriors and two pure spellcasters. The Priest majors in Priest spells and minors in Mage spells, and vice versa. Spellcasters go for Endurance and Intelligence to a lesser degree. My warriors take one level in Priest and one in Mage, this provides quick healing while the spellcasters dish out proper spell damage.
I figure Spiderweb games reward devotion to only one pursuit, melee or spellcasting.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:35 AM #16 Avernum Let's Play!

View PostIshad Nha, on 10 July 2014 - 02:21 AM, said:

I figure the most powerful party has two pure warriors and two pure spellcasters. The Priest majors in Priest spells and minors in Mage spells, and vice versa. Spellcasters go for Endurance and Intelligence to a lesser degree. My warriors take one level in Priest and one in Mage, this provides quick healing while the spellcasters dish out proper spell damage.
I figure Spiderweb games reward devotion to only one pursuit, melee or spellcasting.
I tend to do devotion as well, but in a different way.  One pure mage, one pure priest, one pure warrior, and one primary warrior who also focuses on the lockpicking.  I've generally given my spellcasters a bit of skill in bowmanship to make up for when their spells are not effective (What use is the mage's damage when a fireball doesn't work and Ice Lances are too expensive to be worth the situation?).

Either way, onwards with the next episode, where we check a fort, decide where we'll next go......and I add a bit of something for the viewers to see.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:21 AM #17 Avernum Let's Play!

I chose the (Nephar) Underground Fort as my first dungeon, Ice Lances is the thing for clearing out groups of Nephar. Mass Healing is the thing for dealing with the damage they do.
A few levels of Mage spells is handy for a Priest as Bolt of Fire is a good damage spell.

Heart of Avadon

• 4,211 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:19 AM #18 Avernum Let's Play!

all chars in my party are always decent (max boughtable bow-skills and few skillpoints) bowshooters, sometimes its better to save manapoints and use bows instead.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:54 PM #19 Avernum Let's Play!

You can restore mana by walking outdoors, recharge while exploring. Some spells can target more than one enemy at once. My spellcasters use bows a bit but don't spend many points on them, they are only a new party.

A lot of the A1 skills have Base values, this is a relic from the original version of Nethergate. Ditto the lack of a list of quests.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:41 AM #20 Avernum Let's Play!

I admit, the main reason I never give my pries a point in mage spells is because I don't want her tossing out fireballs, only to run low on energy when I NEED the healing.  Likewise the mage, tossing out healing spells when I NEED the damage power.  The warriors though, I may consider.

Either way, onwards to Formello which... I admit, whenever I think of Avernum, Formello is the city I always think of.  I'm not sure why, I just like it.  Maybe I should build a summer home there...

Spoiler

Heart of Avadon

• 4,211 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:50 AM #21 Avernum Let's Play!

View PostIshad Nha, on 10 July 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

You can restore mana by walking outdoors, recharge while exploring. Some spells can target more than one enemy at once. My spellcasters use bows a bit but don't spend many points on them, they are only a new party.

Yea but in dungeon or xxx's lair its better to save mana for big baddies than on minions.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:17 PM #22 Avernum Let's Play!

Your maximum number of spell points is 4 * (INT + MAG + PRI). Hence it does not matter if you take a level of Priest spells or a level of Mage spellls, your spell energy ration is the same either way.

Your first three levels of Priest spells costs a total of 13 skill points. By the time a PC reaches level 16 in Mage spells, 13 points will only yield 1 extra level in that skill.

"Yea but in dungeon or xxx's lair its better to save mana for big baddies than on minions."
In some dungeons you are free to leave the place and go back to town, you will often need to go sell some junk. You can recharge mana while doing that.

Linear games get a bad press, the game is linear like a railway line that only goes from Point A to Point B. A1 is not like that, you can roam anywhere. Flip side is that you may run into a wandering encounter that is just too tough for your low-level party.

If you are being followed by a wandering encounter that is too tough for you and you can't shake it off, use a Recall Crystal.

Edited by Ishad Nha, 12 July 2014 - 02:46 AM.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:21 AM #23 Avernum Let's Play!

That information on energy points and how they're calculated is news to me.  Until now I always thought Energy Points were solely based on Intelligence, while Mage/Priest points simply governed which spells you could use.  Definately something I'll keep in mind.

Anyway, onwards into the Nephilim Fortress, to kill everything and find a necklace.  Should be fun!

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:33 AM #24 Avernum Let's Play!

All skills and stats have descriptions. Click on Useful Skills then click on Spell Energy...

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:36 AM #25 Avernum Let's Play!

A two-parter here, as we finish up the Nephilim Fortress, slaying their leader, their priesthood, and recovering a necklace for the Formello mayor.  Simple enough.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:31 AM #26 Avernum Let's Play!

We explore the caverns north of Formello, and visit the Great Dragon Mortax.  Not much to say beyond that I think.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:08 PM #27 Avernum Let's Play!

In Nethergate: Resurrection the core exploration spells are all laid on for a Celt party:
you can start the game with Piercing Sight and Pass Portal.
In the Goblin Pits you can rapidly acquire Hovering Feet.
Once you finish the Ruined Hall you can go to the Stone Circle and learn Break Barrier. Wise use of skill points will soon give you level 7 in Craft Circle which you need to actually cast the spell.
There are no spell levels, once you have the spell it is yours.
By contrast, A1 is trickier. Level 3 in Safe Travel is needed to cross lava without doing a Mass Healing every other move. (You must find where that is located.)

Some or all of the Dragonskin items may keep the damage within reasonable limits.

Edited by Ishad Nha, 15 July 2014 - 01:50 AM.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:32 AM #28 Avernum Let's Play!

Another fort, this time fully prepared for war... despite it probably being the furthest FROM the wars.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:53 AM #29 Avernum Let's Play!

Unlike BoA, you are never told how many of a given item are stocked in a given shop. Common items usually never run out, the rarer the item the more likely that there is only 1 instance of it for sale.

I don't worry about Hardiness or Defense for my spellcasters. High powered spells mean the enemies don't normally live long enough to do serious harm.

I whipped up a quick list of the potions and what they need:
Spoiler

Mandrake is needed all too often.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:26 AM #30 Avernum Let's Play!

Hello!  Hi!  You're cute!

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:25 AM #31 Avernum Let's Play!

From one spider extreme to the other in one episode flat.  Well that didn't take long.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:23 AM #32 Avernum Let's Play!

You really need to spend the money and skill points on higher level spells: Mass Healing, Divine Fire, Lightning Spray... By level 11 you should have them.
I think the difficulty of the game is based upon the expectation of spellcasters spending most of their points on either Priest Spells or Mage Spells.

Edited by Ishad Nha, 17 July 2014 - 03:29 AM.

Heart of Avadon

• 4,211 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:32 AM #33 Avernum Let's Play!

div. fire costs alot to cast so priest should get mage skill until can cast lightning spray.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:36 PM #34 Avernum Let's Play!

Divine Fire usually does thin out the ranks of the enemy though... This saves spell points on healing.
Lightning Spray is good for Fire Lizards, Smite lacks punch generally.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,610 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:39 AM #35 Avernum Let's Play!

Sailing down a river, and then let's seen how well these slith can stand against Avernum stee- er, iron.

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lets Play, Avernum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users