Level 7 Spells

jimbob

Hello again, everyone. I have recently downloaded Blades of Exile after it became freeware, and am playing high-rated (4.5+ in the list of "Solid" scenarios on this website) scenarios for high to very high level parties. My group finished the first three scenarios that came with the game. As anyone who has played them knows, they don't have very many of the level 7 spells (none of the offensive ones, anyways). Does anyone know which of the scenarios that are highly rated for high level parties have the level 7 spells, either for purchase or for a reward? I tried opening up the scenarios in the editor to find out, but they are password-protected. It sucks when your priests are still stuck with flamestrike instead of divine thud and avatar. Thanks in advance!

It's kinda-sorta cheating, but the utility scenario New Market City makes available all spells.

Barring that, I'd recommend using the CBoE editor to look at it, which can bypass passwords (they never did any encryption of the exs file, which seems rather silly because it meant any script kiddie with a hex editor could bypass the protection). For Windows, there's a full installer available here. There's a few CBoE mac builds floating around, but the only one with a scenario editor iirc is Tridash's build for Intel mac.

• 6 months later...

Alright, thanks sylae! It takes a bit of work, but doing a text dump and searching for specific terms does the trick. Beats New Market Town (might as well use the editor instead, if I was going that route).

After reading this thread I took a look at New Market City. It's not "kinda sorta cheating" it's cheating. :) A big part of the game is finding your way to merchants for better gear. Put better merchants all in one place, with no particular combat to overcome to get to it, and it's absolutely cheating. I've tried to talk myself into letting myself use it, but I just can't. Way back when just starting pc gaming I figured anything games let you do, was perfectly fine and would have had no problem with this. But after a lifetime of gaming I realize stuff like this is cheating pure and simple.

Have discovered something the map's good for though: if curious if a big hard hitting one-hander is better than 2 lighter weps, can use the golem trainer thing in the map to rapidly level up, set stats, and find out if it's better. Short answer, it's not. Have done the maths and there's just no comparing two 1h'ers with 1 2h'er. I thoght maybe a slith with pole weapon would shine getting some bonus but even using that giant staff with 1-25+1 enchanted with flaming and max stats and assassinate, the damage is noticeably lackluster. Dual-Wielding is the way to go for tanks. And two 1-13+5 (+8 with Rubacus +3 augment) swords from Falling Stars, and the Katana 1-14+5(+8)from "The Magnificent Six" map is the best I've found legitimately so far.

Avatar, Divine Thud are as yet not in Blades afaik. Kinda redundant really, by the time you might need them your priest's gonna be doing other things than wasting mana nuking or mixing it up meleeing. If 5 years of Everquest clericing taught me anything it's if you wanna be a cleric, be a cleric. If you wanna nuke, be a wizard. :)

Scenarios like New Market City can be used for cheating. They can also be used for creating a party of level higher than 1, for the purpose of playing a high-level scenario. That said, I don't know how New Market City works specifically; it might not be optimal for that sort of thing.

Scenarios like New Market City can be used for cheating. They can also be used for creating a party of level higher than 1, for the purpose of playing a high-level scenario. That said, I don't know how New Market City works specifically; it might not be optimal for that sort of thing.

What I will say positive for NMC is the prices are reasonable. Not so low it's a gimme in other works. But about what they should be for the gear. But it reminds me of the bazaar in Everquest way back. Once they put that in it unbalanced the game since now newbies could twink chars with gear much better than they should have (when crap gear was meant to teach how to actually use a character's abilities and the value of teamwork, not turn low-level chars into Rambo.) :) Same again here with very good, very powerful gear available with nothing to overcome to get to it. Be cool if the NMC was part of FS or other high-level scenario way the heck out int he middle of nowhere with some major battles to get past to reach. Sitting on it's own though it's a total exploit if not actually 'cheating.' I'd differentiate cheating from exploiting where an exploit is everything 'in line with a map or the game,' and cheats are anything bypassing the normal functioning of the game. Like shift+W or whatever to refresh merchants, or using the editor for pretty much anything. Only time I use the edito is for Shadow of the Stranger exiting since there doesn't seem to be one like other scenarios have. Presumedly if you finish the scenario it then exists you but you're stuck there otherwise?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Playing through Falling Stars, Demon Island, and started Demon Island II, I've found in Falling Stars the Death Arrows, Shockwave, Mindduel, and whatever the 4th spell was. Wont say where, try and minimize the spoilers here. :)

Get hit by Divine Thud and see Avatar getting cast the demons in Demon Island though. Kinda hoping it's available in there, but I"m kinda stuck scratching my head right now in the scenario. Can't figure how to get through the locked red magical door to the north, or the SW dungeon past that statue. :) No hints please. :)

Currently have a great party going (after the ast 'great party' got wiped unexpectedly, need to quit playing when tired and not thinking optimally hehe,) maxxed out Runesword from FS, Lightning Sword from Demon Island, and party stomping around and even making the Seraphins in FS quake with fear. That said, I cast Scry Monster rather a lot too, especially on New Things which is a good habit when you get to Demon Island II and see how hard those 'just a normal ogre' can hit for. :)

• 5 years later...