keira

With the help of Tridash, I was able to get CBoE compiled for 64-bit windows! Probably not too much in the way of a point, but native 64-bit binaries for a game released in 1997 isn't too bad :p

I dinked around and didn't notice any errors, but it's best to be considered experimental. Download the game (with 64-bit boesounds) here.

Next up: Getting ScenEdit and CharEdit to compile at all on my new system :|

From a more practical standpoint, getting 64-bit down will go a long way towards future-proofing BoE. Most machines nowadays are 64-bit. Linux is overwhelmingly 64-bit, and I rarely see 32-bit versions of Vista or Win7 floating around (some casual research suggests the same with OSX). With XP officially unsupported, there's no real encouragement for MS/Apple to continue supporting 32-bit software. Eventually we will need to have native 64-bit builds, simply because 32-bit libraries will begin to disappear or become unsupported.

Thankfully, it shouldn't be too difficult to get the code tidied up. Tridash and I (mostly Tridash) got 64-bit BoE compiled in about an hour's worth of work. I'd imagine abstraction utilities like Wx make this even easier.

Most machines nowadays are 64-bit. Linux is overwhelmingly 64-bit, and I rarely see 32-bit versions of Vista or Win7 floating around (some casual research suggests the same with OSX)

Yes. OS X supported 64-bit applications since 10.5. 10.6 a 64-bit kernel, (Although it also had a 32-bit kernel for not 64-bit CPUs.) and 10.7 and up are 64-bit only (Kernel-wise, anyway. They still run 32-bit apps.)

Pretty sure the builds I posted were also 64-bit builds. Also, it's 10.8, not 10.7, that went to a 64-bit-only kernel. I'm on 10.7 but running a 32-bit kernel for some reason, even though my computer is 64-bit (I think I tried booting the 64-bit kernel and it wouldn't let me).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...