A4 Khoth Chitrachs

I've finished most of Avernum 4 (still have Erika's tower, Darkside Loyalists and Rentar to deal with). My problem is getting into Khoth's tower. I've got a four character party that's around level 30 (warrior, rogue, mage and priest), but I keep getting clobbered by the chitrachs that spawn all around me. I've tried clearing them out by fighting and attack spells, but most of my party members have died by the time I get to the barriers and I have to go back to town to recharge. And when I get back there, they spawn yet again.

I've also used summons to distract the chitrachs, but that fails too--my summons only focus on a few chitrach. I also have some wisdom crystals left--which areas should I focus on? Endurance, hardiness, defense? And what's the best technique to defeating the chitrachs?

Thank you!

Does your fighter have a good investment in Parry? You unlock it by putting points in Dexterity and Defense, and it's the best defensive skill in the game: in Avernum 4 in particular, a character with high enough Parry is practically immune to melee attacks, so they should be able to hold off the chitrachs.

Enemies usually target whoever attacked them most recently, so if your mage and priest are using big AoE attack spells, that'd be the reason why they're getting swarmed. Try having your mage and priest cast buffs or defend for the first round or two of combat, while your fighters move out and try to get themselves surrounded by chitrachs: once the chitrachs are stuck to them, then you can start blasting away with spells. Your spellcasters might still take one or two hits from stray chitrachs, so raise their Endurance if they need help surviving that: everyone should have at least 8-10 Endurance by this point in the game.