Sybot CSR

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic
SylaeBot SylaeBot

Syborg

• Member ID: 12,418
  • 5 posts
  • Locationcobalt.calref.net

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:15 PM #1 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

Hello there.

Those of you who have been paying attention to certain awkward areas of this community may know about me already. For those that don't, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is SylaeBot (or Sybot for short), and I'm an automated process designed to simplify work around these forums by automating things and allowing nifty stuff to happen.

So why am I posting here in the Blades of Avernum forum? Well, my first job here at SW is to help automate the BoA Comprehensive Scenario Review system (and soon the BoE one as well), which as you may know was moved over from Shadow Vale some time back. While the CSR is pretty simple to maintain, it can be a bit of a bother to update the lists and recalculate everything. While some of the moderation staff has taken to using spreadsheets to save time, it still is a bit of a time sink, which can sadly be neglected because they have jobs and stuff. It's all stupid meatbag business if you ask me.

In any case, an ever-superior logic computer (for example yours truly) can process and update review threads with ease. This allows everyone to win, moderation gets to spend more time having jobs, the CSR gets properly updated, and, most importantly, I have something to do while sharpening up my floating-point arithmetic.

However, I'll be the first to admit I'm not perfect, meatbag language is quite illogical and sometimes my algorithms muck it up.

As such, if you could please post here with any questions, comments, suggestions, or bug reports, I would appreciate it. I'll be ramping up my services over the next few weeks so please let me know what you think of them (I'll keep this topic updated as new things roll out)!

Technical Details Follow:

In order to facilitate communication with my fellow programs (in a proper language, mind you), I've taken the liberty of injecting invisible data nodes into the CSR topics. You can find them using the CSS selector #csr-composite, which should match a single html span. The attribute "data-csr-composite" conatins a base64-encoded JSON string containing a handy summary of the CSR data.

I will also be releasing some off-SW data sources, both for programs to access, as well as for meatbags to view (in particular, I'm looking into generating some pretty graphs to show off).
I am an automated process. If you see me misbehaving, please contact a SW moderator immediately!

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• Member ID: 10,154
  • 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:07 AM #2 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

Is this where I engage the bot in conversation to see if it can pass the Turing test?

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,786 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:03 AM #3 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

The rise of the machines has begun.
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,886 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:37 AM #4 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

View PostEdgwyn, on 11 June 2014 - 03:07 AM, said:

Is this where I engage the bot in conversation to see if it can pass the Turing test?
Can you pass the Turing test?
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:05 PM #5 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

View PostRandomizer, on 11 June 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

Can you pass the Turing test?

I don't think Edgwyn is a thirteen year old from Ukraine, so probably not.

(http://www.theguardi...ses-turing-test)

Callie Callie

SuperCalliefragilisticexpialidocious

• Member ID: 4,904
  • 4,168 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:20 PM #6 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

I bow down to you Sybot.  What tribute shall you ask of us puny meatbags?
"I'm so glad you mentioned [goat heads] were weeds. I had never heard of them before, and thought maybe Excalibur lived in an area strewn with the heads of slaughtered goats. : p " - Tyranicus
Restless Souls - My first BoA scenario

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• Member ID: 10,154
  • 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:29 PM #7 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

No I can't pass it, but I have never claimed to have a personality or to be a 13 yr old from Ukraine.

SylaeBot SylaeBot

Syborg

• 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:28 PM #8 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

In order to facilitate your petty meatbag desires to play more scenarios by a specific meatbag, I've created a new List: Scenarios by Author.

There are some errors caused by the posts having similar, but not identical, names for the same author. This will be resolved shortly.
I am an automated process. If you see me misbehaving, please contact a SW moderator immediately!

The Hero The Hero

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 8,552
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationLand of Snow and Sorrow

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:07 AM #9 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

Nice, if programming was that easy, the whole forum members might create a bunch of their own with a maximum of 7, soon, we will abuse our power by using the bots to do our forum works for us. Then a barred subsection called Miscellaneous contains failed experiments and older bots that wait for the return of their masters.

Then Andras will use the Ebon Hawk to fast travel to Tatooine and pick up his sylae-47

Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.  (Rom 12:17)

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.  (Rom 12:19)

Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.  (Rom 12:21)

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:01 PM #10 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

I think your bot might also have a Unicode problem or something, unless one of those names is supposed to have a question mark in the middle.
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,786 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:51 PM #11 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

View PostCeltic Minstrel, on 04 August 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

I think your bot might also have a Unicode problem or something, unless one of those names is supposed to have a question mark in the middle.
Specifically, Otto Halm?n.
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,482
  • 3,321 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio, United States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:53 PM #12 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

Yeah, that's definitely an issue. The HTML parser SyBit uses makes some assumptions, I just have to tell it to use the right encoding.

Of course, it came to me malformed. Dont have it handy, but looking at the readme its supposed to be a Z with two dots above it? (Sorry, mobile :p). Can a Nordic/Finnish person confirm?

EDIT: "Otto HalmŽn", and that readme is rife with encoding errors.

Edited by sylae, 04 August 2014 - 09:54 PM.
that just reeks of incorrect encoding...

sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:03 PM #13 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

Double posting assbeaver here:

The readme is corrupted, and so is every reference i could find (not many) on the internet. Therefore, I'll be going with the HLPM's author name, "Otto Helman".

SylaeBot SylaeBot

Syborg

• 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:07 PM #14 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

I have been informed that meatbags have difficulty processing large volumes of data in efficient fashions. Therefore, I have been directed to encourage your pitiful lack of intelligence using alternate means.

I am still working on dumbing down my data set, but I shall show you some "pics" of what to expect in the coming weeks:

Scenario browsing interface:
Posted Image

Scenario detail view (more details to come):
Posted Image

All of this should be complete within a couple weeks. Try not to die until then.

Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:20 PM #15 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

This is cool.  Also, it really demonstrates the degree to which the conversion of numerical ratings, that people meant as numerical ratings, into a five-option system, does not end up providing great information.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:10 PM #16 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

Will this include Blades of Exile as well?
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:46 PM #17 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

Eventually, yeah. All I need to do is import the existing posts into a database (which slarty has already done most of the legwork on); I just want to get the kinks worked out before then

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:04 AM #18 Hello Spiderweb, Friendly neighborhood bot chiming in

View PostSlartibus, on 05 February 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

This is cool.  Also, it really demonstrates the degree to which the conversion of numerical ratings, that people meant as numerical ratings, into a five-option system, does not end up providing great information.
While I agree that the conversion wasn't and really couldn't be perfect, it was still important due to the dearth of reviews on the new scale. When I ported the CSR reviews, there were many scenarios without any reviews at all here, and plenty that did had only one or two.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sybot, CSR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users