XdN - How many sides does the dice have?

Jemelby

In conversations about the merits of various bows, the Heartstrike bow is universally touted as the "best" bow for the experienced archer. I understand how this can be true if the dice configuration is considered. What I would like to know is how do you determine the dice configuration?

I thought that spiderweb games used a fixed sided dice and only adjusted the number of rolls - or was it the other way around?

Anyway, if the dice configuration isn't obvious, and is determined by delving into the data files of the game, perhaps someone could point me to a list of tabular data for the various weapons in the game (playing on an iOS). It'd be great to know what weapons are REALLY best for my min/max toons.

In general, you can tell the die size of a weapon by looking at the base damage rating and dividing the maximum damage by the minimum damage. Heartstriker's die size varies between games: I think it's d7 in Avernum 4 and d4 in Avernum 5 and 6, compared to d2 or d3 for other bows.

On the desktop versions of the games, you can pull up an item's statistics by mousing over it. On iOS I'm not sure; try tapping it, I guess.

Thanks for the reply, Lilith. On the iOS version, you only get base damage (min/max) and effects. Not the dice size. I understand how important the difference is between, say, a 1d20 (average 10) and a 4d5 (same) when you get to apply all your toons skills to each roll. Seems like critical information that should be considered for the next game to be ported for iOS.

could you or someone possible tell me which bladed weapons have to best dice for a min/max DW meleer?

Thanks for the reply, Lilith. On the iOS version, you only get base damage (min/max) and effects. Not the dice size. I understand how important the difference is between, say, a 1d20 (average 10) and a 4d5 (same) when you get to apply all your toons skills to each roll. Seems like critical information that should be considered for the next game to be ported for iOS.

Like I said, divide the maximum damage by the minimum damage and you'll get the die size. For example, if a weapon is listed as doing 10-40 base damage, then the die size is d4 (40 divided by 10 = 4). If it does 8-24 base damage, then the die size is d3 (24 divided by 8 = 3).

could you or someone possible tell me which bladed weapons have to best dice for a min/max DW meleer?

Anything that's called a shortsword has d2 base damage, and anything that's called a broadsword has d3. Most of the high-end unique swords count as broadswords, but there are some exceptions. For polearms, spears have d3 base damage and halberds have d4.

The most effective way to do damage in melee is by dual-wielding two broadswords. However, there are only a few broadswords that are light enough to wield in the off-hand: they have to weigh 7 pounds or less. (Your main-hand weapon can be as heavy as you like, though.)

1d20 averages a 10.5 and 4d5 averages a 12.