What have you been watching recently?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic
Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:15 PM #36 What have you been watching recently?

View PostJerakeen, on 03 August 2015 - 01:12 PM, said:

I'm also watching Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell on TMNgo. It's a long time since I read the book, so I'm not sure how faithful it is, but I'm very much enjoying it.
I just watched that last week. It's great.

I'm currently watching A Young Doctor's Notebook because Netflix rightly suggested I would like it. I've also been watching new episodes of Dark Matter, Halt and Catch Fire, The Last Ship, and Ballers as they come out this summer.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,482
  • 3,321 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio, United States

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:31 PM #37 What have you been watching recently?

I recently rewatched Fargo (the film), which is just as lovely as I remember, and added on a binge-watching of the TV series. Highly recommended for anyone who liked the movie; it's set in the same fictional universe and the Coen brothers do a great job of a crime drama that doesn't revolve around CSI-style "Enhance! Enhance!" pseudoscience. Really looking forward to s02.

Before that I binged on the recent Orange is the New Black season, which is certainly better (and has less gratuitous lesbian sex scenes! yay!).

Also watched Akira, which Nalyd summed up nicely. Speaking of Nalyd, a few weeks ago he suggested Nightcrawler which is a lovely film about what happens when you give a psychopathic autist a camera (at first I thought the guy was just a horrible actor, but then I realized that he was just playing the character spot-on).

More recently, I've been rewatching From the Earth to the Moon, which is lovely. I'll probably tack on a rewatch of The Wind Rises.

Edited by sylae, 03 August 2015 - 11:33 PM.
Also ponies and top gear.

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:22 AM #38 What have you been watching recently?

Hannibal continues to be excellent. Not as excellent as it was in series one, but satisfying all the same.

diclobcid diclobcid

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:58 PM #39 What have you been watching recently?

I can say that A Young Doctor's Notebook truly speaks to the terrors of the newly minted doctor to the point that I find it a little bit uncomfortable to watch. I can manage an episode at a time, and only after good days.

—Alorael, who has not yet been physically and mentally humiliated by his future self. Give it time.

Karan S'jet Karan S'jet

seiðmaðr

• Member ID: 3,440
  • 4,253 posts
  • LocationInvisible Cities

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:04 PM #40 What have you been watching recently?

Watched The Usual Suspects, Changeling, Jodorowsky's Dune, and Tom at the Farm over the past couple days.

The Usual Suspects is very good, of course. It's in the pantheon of cinema. Nothing I need to say about it.

Changeling was okay. It's based on true events, but it goes way out of its way to portray them as perfectly just-so stories with eminently righteous heroes and wretched villains. Not even compared to real life, but to fictional movies. It's not bad, but it's super unsubtle.

Jodorowsky's Dune is a neat documentary. After watching it, I'm not sure I would have liked the movie that never was, but I am convinced that it was important.

Tom at the Farm is a French-language Quebecois movie. Tom's boyfriend Guillaume dies, and he stays with Guillaume's family at their farm for the funeral. Guilaume lied about his sexuality, and his family is creepy farm people. Tom has a bad time. I liked it a lot.
The mutilation of the self is the only path towards real personal growth.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE
TELL ME. . .
WHAT AM I?
I CANNOT SEE

Karan S'jet Karan S'jet

seiðmaðr

• Member ID: 3,440
  • 4,253 posts
  • LocationInvisible Cities

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:24 AM #41 What have you been watching recently?

Just watched Blue Ruin. It's good! It's a mostly straightforward movie about a schmucky homeless guy that has to take revenge for the murder of his parents when the murderer is released from jail, and how doing so drags both of their families into it. Nicely paced, good shot design, nice contemplative mood, the violence is both graphic and understated. There's a little bit of comedy to it. I recommend it. It looks like it actually won some kind of award at Cannes? If you care about that sort of thing.
The mutilation of the self is the only path towards real personal growth.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE
TELL ME. . .
WHAT AM I?
I CANNOT SEE

Arch-Mage Solberg Arch-Mage Solberg

Tinkermage

• Member ID: 252
  • 722 posts
  • LocationIn the Ether!

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:29 PM #42 What have you been watching recently?

Been buying Doctor Who DVD's online. I have the entire NuWho except for the second half of season 9 and a few specials. I also have 6 Classic serials. Will be getting more of those over the next few months.

Post # 712 :cool:

Solberg has been kept alive for many years by pure magic. Magic that infused every particle of his being. He tapped into all of that energy, letting it pour forth, to fight the slithzerikai. And now it is gone. Archmage Solberg, hero of Avernum, fearless defender of your homeland since the earliest days, is gone.

Solberg Percival McGangor  Born 742 Died 882  140 years

sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,482
  • 3,321 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio, United States

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:10 AM #43 What have you been watching recently?

Reviving this topic.

I watched RWBY, then sucked the entire household into watching RWBY as well. Very good show (see if you can guess who my favorite is from my rotating avatar collection :p).

I also have been watching Designated Survivor, which is eh, The Grand Tour, which is fantastic, and some other stuff I cannot remember. Oh! and new sherlock :)

Earth Empires Earth Empires

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,661
  • 4,190 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:58 PM #44 What have you been watching recently?

grand tour is great show unlike new macgyver which is total crap.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:15 PM #45 What have you been watching recently?

Sherlock season 4 is quite a bit depressing, but it has plenty of foreshadowing of events in the previous seasons that finally happen.

Dirk Gently was 8 episodes to show things are really interconnected. A total blast with plenty of fun references to Douglas Adams past works with the best part was Dirk saying "Don't Panic" as he runs through a crowd.

The new Macgyver has been fun, but the science is becoming totally garbage. Powering a satellite phone with a Leyden jar where you don't know if you have the right voltage means either not enough or too much and you just fried the circuitry.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users