What have you been watching recently?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic
Duck in a Top Hat Duck in a Top Hat

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 6,265
  • 514 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:43 PM #1 What have you been watching recently?

I don't know if there's ever been a film counterpart to the "What have you been reading recently?" thread, but it strikes me that there should be one. I haven't been reading a lot lately, but I've been discovering increasingly profound stories in television and film, so maybe it's time we talked about some of those.

I just finished watching Joss Whedon's newest movie, In Your Eyes. It's a touching supernatural romance, and you can rent it online. Its characters were well-developed and relatable. I really recommend it.

And I'm currently watching quite a few old TV shows. I finally discovered The Wire at the start of this school year, and at my slow pace I've now almost reached the end of the fourth season. It's an incredible show.

I watched the first season of Twin Peaks and really enjoyed it, but got sidetracked with everything else.

I've also started Mad Men. The characters really pull me in and the show paints such a detailed and fascinating picture of the '60s. I love how the show makes you feel emotions that facts in a history textbook just can't convey.

So, what have you been watching recently?

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,913 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:55 PM #2 What have you been watching recently?

Reruns of The Big Bang Theory, The Simpsons, F-Troop, Batman (1966-8), and whatever seems good.  I'm somewhat nostalgic for the shows I grew up with from the 1960s and 70s.

Later when it really heats up I'll start watching DVD sets of cable series like Burn Notice, Psych, and Warehouse 13.  After it goes up another 10 degrees I only go out to get food.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Callie Callie

SuperCalliefragilisticexpialidocious

• Member ID: 4,904
  • 4,168 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:23 PM #3 What have you been watching recently?

I've been watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the third time (such a great show!).  I've also been watching the spinoff Angel for the first time.

IIRC, the last film I saw was Wolf of Wall Street back in January.
"I'm so glad you mentioned [goat heads] were weeds. I had never heard of them before, and thought maybe Excalibur lived in an area strewn with the heads of slaughtered goats. : p " - Tyranicus
Restless Souls - My first BoA scenario

sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,482
  • 3,336 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, United States

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:19 PM #4 What have you been watching recently?

I've lately been watching Bleach, Top Gear reruns, and Space Brothers (christ almighty that show drags on)

Hannibal, Pony, Sherlock, and the Doctor are also shows I watch, although to be honest I haven't seen the Doctor in like nine months.

Mistah Q Mistah Q

Soldier

• Member ID: 10,052
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:51 PM #5 What have you been watching recently?

I most recently watched Third Rock from the Sun and Coach on Netflix. But it's been a while now.

I watched the documentary "Fat Head", which is sort of a response to "Supersize Me".  And sort of a thing of its own.  Hard to explain, worthy watch.

When I'm home alone I might sneak in an episode of Fullmetal Alchemist or Pokemon or Gundam Wing.  I'm a professional in my early 30s so most people consider this strange, and it isn't my wife's favorite thing to watch either.  I tried to make her watch Escaflowne once and it just didn't go well.  I don't have terribly much time to watch TV anyways.  Come this fall I'll probably make time to catch the Steelers games, even though I've pretty well soured on sports over the years.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,311
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:12 AM #6 What have you been watching recently?

I've been watching Star Trek: The Next Generation again on Netflix. I forgot how great that show is.

I've also been watching a number of programs from ABCFamily, and look forward to the next season of Pretty Little Liars (returning next week).

The last movie I saw in the theaters was "Noah" - which is good if you just take it as a movie along the lines of a mythology story.

The Hero The Hero

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 8,552
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationLand of Snow and Sorrow

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:49 AM #7 What have you been watching recently?

None, because I don't like movies?

Well, if anime are included, I still don't watching. My last anime was Strike the Blood which I watched three months ago.

Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.  (Rom 12:17)

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.  (Rom 12:19)

Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.  (Rom 12:21)

Student of Trinity Student of Trinity

Interloper

• Member ID: 2,306
  • 6,622 posts
  • Locationthe big Hilbert space

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:07 PM #8 What have you been watching recently?

I never turn the TV on to watch something for myself, but I sometimes see something that someone else in the family is watching. So I've seen some things lately, but I wouldn't say I've "been watching" anything at all for years.

It's not that I think nothing on TV is worthwhile, but I always found that watching TV for an hour was like eating one peanut. If I sat down to watch something, it somehow put me into a passive frame of mind in which I just kept watching for an hour or two more than I really wanted. Even when that first hour was something great, hours two and three usually weren't good enough, for the time they consumed.

I can't say that I've taken all that time that I would have wasted on mediocre TV and done great things with it. I've found other ways to waste time. I don't think those other ways of wasting time have been quite as effective at time-wasting as TV would have been, however. I think I've made a substantial profit in good use of time, by skipping TV.

For somebody who can just find a couple of great shows and watch them every week, and that's it, I can't see anything wrong with TV. If a lot of TV is mediocre at best, well, a lot of everything is mediocre at best. If anyone else is like me, though, and finds that any TV becomes too much TV too easily, I can report that it's really not hard to live without TV. I've really never missed it.
As long as entropy is doing what we want, we take it for granted, but as soon as it starts killing us, we go all whiny.

Questionably Legal Questionably Legal

Watcher

• Member ID: 9,862
  • 198 posts
  • LocationThe Last Frontier

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:32 PM #9 What have you been watching recently?

Attack on Titan!
Posted Image

If you don't watch anime, make an exeption for this.  If you do, and still haven't seen it, are you living under a rock?!

Ore wa Kaizoku-o ni naru otoko da!

. . .Tabun.

Trenton. Trenton.

Eye of Avadon

• Member ID: 7,180
  • 2,623 posts
  • LocationRiften

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:47 PM #10 What have you been watching recently?

View PostQuintessentially Lazy, on 01 June 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

snip
I... I love you.

Does television online count? Ponies, then.
And I don't really watch much television. Family Guy and Rick and Morty occasionally if it's late and I'm not doing anything. See also: King of the Hill. I'm more of an internet guy.
-~-Finished SW games-~-
(all demos for all games), Exile III: Ruined World, Avernum IV, Geneforge 4+5+3
-~-Games that have a current play through-~-
Geneforge 2, Avernum: CS, Avernum 5
-~-Owned Games yet to have a started playthrough-~-
Geneforge 1, Avernum VI, Avernum: EFtP Nethergate

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,537 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:49 PM #11 What have you been watching recently?

View Postsylae, on 31 May 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

although to be honest I haven't seen the Doctor in like nine months.
You're barely behind then.  There have been two specials in the past 9 months, but that's it.

Shows still in production that I watch include but are probably not limited to Archer, Black Sails, Boardwalk Empire, CSI, Californication, Castle, Continuum, The Daily Show, Doctor Who, Downton Abbey, Elementary, Falling Skies, Foyle's War, Game of Thrones, Hell on Wheels, Last Week Tonight, Mad Men, Masters of Sex, Mr. Selfridge, NCIS, The Newsroom, Once Upon a Time, Orphan Black, Ripper Street, Royal Pains, The Simpsons, Sons of Anarchy, Top Gear, Under the Dome, Vicious, The Walking Dead, and White Collar.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Agitproprioception Agitproprioception

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,777 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:33 PM #12 What have you been watching recently?

View PostExcalibur, on 31 May 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

I've been watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the third time (such a great show!).  I've also been watching the spinoff Angel for the first time.
Me too, actually!  Second time for Buffy, first for Angel.  Just finished 6/3.  Has been interesting.  PM me if you have any interest in long commentaries.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

fenzil fenzil

Citizen

• Member ID: 12,494
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:57 PM #13 What have you been watching recently?

This thread is super relevant to me right now, because I just started watching movies, pretty much for the first time in my life. Right now I'm working my way through some top 10 lists. I've watched The Matrix, Akira, Apocalypse Now, The Expendables 3, and Postal.

The Matrix: Good movie, but the first half where Morpheus explained the matrix over and over dragged a bit.

Akira: After watching it I feel like I know less about it than I did before watching it. I can't really decide if I liked it. I probably won't watch it again though.

Apocalypse Now: I found it incredibly boring and didn't understand the hype at all. Later I found out I'd watched the redux version, which adds a bunch of scenes that were cut from the original. A lot of people say the scenes ruin the movie and were better left out. So I guess I'll watch the original cinematic release at some point.

The Expendables 3: Kind of disappointing. I watched it because everyone on the internet said it was non-stop mindless action, but there actually wasn't much. I'm not going to do a detailed comparison but I think this movie had less action than any of the other movies on this list. That's pretty bad for a movie that's supposed to be all about action. I wouldn't mind if there was a good plot, but its plot is a standard dull action movie plot.

Postal: It's not for everyone but I loved it. It carries a lot over from the games and has the same nutty feel Postal 2 (the game) has.

As for TV, I just started season 2 of Justified. I'm a bit put off by how dark the show suddenly got, but I'll keep watching because I think Raylan Givens is an awesome character.

(Sorry if this is considered a necro post, it's giving me a warning but this thread is still on page one of the general forum.)
wotsat spell? lods of emone

Callie Callie

SuperCalliefragilisticexpialidocious

• Member ID: 4,904
  • 4,168 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:29 AM #14 What have you been watching recently?

I recently finished the second season of Orange is the New Black; it's such a great show!

I also saw Guardians of the Galaxy last night.  It's lackluster in terms of plot, but manages to provide entertaining action sequences (I'm not easily entertained that way).
"I'm so glad you mentioned [goat heads] were weeds. I had never heard of them before, and thought maybe Excalibur lived in an area strewn with the heads of slaughtered goats. : p " - Tyranicus
Restless Souls - My first BoA scenario

Jerakeen Jerakeen

Runcible Pastrytarian

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,477
  • 2,519 posts
  • LocationThree Sheets to the Wind house, in Sinshan

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:25 PM #15 What have you been watching recently?

I saw GotG last night too. Amusing enough that I will probably watch it again when it comes out on Netflix or whatever.

Currently working my way through season two of Hell on Wheels (good, but how do they find time to build a railroad in between all the murdering? Seriously, there are only like two characters I can think of who haven't murdered anybody yet), and season one of The Killing (good so far, but the incessant rain is so depressing that I'm not tempted to marathon it).

A less presumptuous name. A less presumptuous name.

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 5,324
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:31 PM #16 What have you been watching recently?

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy as well. I really enjoyed it, but then again, I didn't go in expecting a sensation plot. It was a very fun movie, and for that reason, I enjoyed it.

In other news, I'm roughly halfway through my trek of watching the entire Star Trek franchise (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise). It's been over a year already.

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,448 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:59 PM #17 What have you been watching recently?

I'm working my way through Parks and Recreation because somebody mentioned I reminded them of April. It was accurate. It's an alright show, and it beats doing dumb things like reading or eating or playing computer games.

I'm also watching Batman: The Animated Series, which is the greatest cartoon of all time.

edit: except maybe A:TLA and Cardcaptor Sakura

Only Game Only Game

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,118 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:17 PM #18 What have you been watching recently?

I also just saw Guardians of the Galaxy. I actually saw it under mild duress and expected it to be awful. It wasn't. No high art, to be sure, but it walked the fine line to be a fine funny sci-fi action flick. I don't think I'd watch it again, but I'd happily recommend it.

—Alorael, who thinks the only way it could be sold at all was having decades of the kind of intense continuity scrutiny that only comics gather. Many people had already done their best to turn ridiculous premises into concepts that at least merit suspension of disbelief, and it worked just fine. Everything else was covered up with lampshades.

The Reverend The Reverend

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 8,524
  • 523 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:34 AM #19 What have you been watching recently?

View PostExcalibur, on 06 August 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

I recently finished the second season of Orange is the New Black; it's such a great show!
+100.

I've also been enjoying The Leftovers on HBO

Juan Carlo Juan Carlo

Shaman

• Member ID: 8,051
  • 317 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:33 AM #20 What have you been watching recently?

Just finished first season of "Penny Dreadfull."  It's OK, but I didn't love it.  Kind of a "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" rip-off, but not as good (as the comics, anyway).

Currently watching:

Nathan For You (funniest show on TV, right now)
Leftovers (pretty good so far)
Rectified (second season isn't as great as season 1, but still worth watching)
Outlander (just started watching.  It has promise, although only the pilot has aired so far.  I'm a big fan of Moore's BSG, so I will watch this by default)

I don't watch a lot of TV, though, so the above shows are literally all I am watching right now.

The Hero The Hero

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 8,552
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationLand of Snow and Sorrow

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:08 AM #21 What have you been watching recently?

View PostQuestionably Legal, on 01 June 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

Attack on Titan!

<snip>

If you don't watch anime, make an exeption for this.  If you do, and still haven't seen it, are you living under a rock?!

YES!!!

As much as I hate watching, I do recommend anime if you've got nothing better to do.

A fair warning though, watching a single episode will make you realize that you're in the endless loop of the space-time continuum of anime addiction.

Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.  (Rom 12:17)

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.  (Rom 12:19)

Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.  (Rom 12:21)

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,311
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:06 PM #22 What have you been watching recently?

One show I didn't mention - Star Wars: The Clone Wars! It's surprisingly good, especially given the prequel films. The characters are very multi dimensional, and honestly, had it been the entire story before the OT, I believe it would have handled it very well. Not perfect, but worth watching.

Goldengirl Goldengirl

Eye of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,001
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:27 AM #23 What have you been watching recently?

For the longest time I liked to make fun of reality TV shows and game shows and all that.

However, my partner and I have been watching MasterChef lately and it's ridiculous how much I learn from that show in terms of cooking techniques, as well as how attached I get emotionally. Tears have been shed.

The other show I've been watching, purely for nostalgia's sake, is Pokemon. Ash and the original crew wandering through Kanto. It's funny thinking the things that I didn't bat an eye at as a child (eg Brock's constant objectification of women) now seem so ethically repugnant to me.
"Never say anything to anyone that you wouldn't want them to not feel bad about telling someone else about if they said it to someone they cared about as much as they care about you not knowing who they are, because at the end of the first day of the rest of your life, you're going to have to look twice at yourself in the mirror and still be able to sleep through the alarm in the morning after." - Student of Trinity
"I think the ultimate irony, and perhaps insult, would be for bad adventurers to reincarnate as town guards." - Slarty
"Look at me, I can't even be bothered to write my own message! I am truly the more optimal spammer!" - Nikki

yarrmateys yarrmateys

Citizen

• Member ID: 7,330
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:12 AM #24 What have you been watching recently?

i've been watching babylon 5 recently.

i never got to watch the whole thing (or hell, i couldn't watch most of it really, just fragments when i was lucky enough to catch it), back when they were airing it it was always at such an inconvenient time i was at school or something similar, and a vcr was a luxury in a post communist country, so i couldn't use that either.

fenzil fenzil

Citizen

• Member ID: 12,494
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:39 PM #25 What have you been watching recently?

Just did a Back to the Future marathon today. First time seeing 2 and 3. I'm glad I went with my friend's suggestion of a marathon because there were a lot of subtle things carried between movies that I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't just seen the previous movie.
wotsat spell? lods of emone

Karan S'jet Karan S'jet

seiðmaðr

• Member ID: 3,440
  • 4,255 posts
  • LocationInvisible Cities

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:10 PM #26 What have you been watching recently?

*wipes up the goat blood, snuffs out the candles*

I've been watching a lot of movies lately! A lot of them are old, so don't get too excited. Spoilers are tagged. In no particular order:

Doubt
Liked it a lot, recommend it highly. Philip Seymour Hoffman is great, Meryl Streep is super great. There are genuine twists and turns, it's a real humanly complicated situation, and the central mystery is kept in. . . doubt. . . for almost the entire movie.
Spy
Liked it mildly, not really recommended. It was nice to see Melissa McCarthy doing something other than "I am fat and gross, laugh!". And she did a pretty good job. Jason Statham is a delight the few times he shows up. I chuckled a few times, laughed once or twice. Any scene involving the arms dealer's daughter character really didn't get to me, and she's in like half of them. It wasn't bad, overall.
Enemy
LIked it a lot. No recommendation. This one's a bit infamous as a mindscrew. Not in the kaleidoscopic drug trip kind of way, but in the "This is a strange setup, they're
Spoiler
, I guess maybe, but it's not using any of the normal tropes. Why is everything so tense? What did the intro have to do with- WHY DOES THAT LADY HAVE A
Spoiler
" way. I won't explain the premise here, but I promise everything makes a lot of sense and the unclear framing device is actually very clever. Jake Gyllenhal plays two people, and they're both the main characters, and his performance holds up quite well in the face of such a challenge.
Faults
Liked it. Recommended. It's the rare movie that's too short, but the twist is compelling and everything holds up. It's only ninety minutes long, and another half hour or so of buildup would not have gone to waste. The performances are good, and when they're not good, it's because they're not supposed to be good.
Weekend
Liked it. No recommendation. It's a movie about gay men that manages to be neither a bizarre melodrama nor  fetishistic overartsy nonsense. There's no strange contrivances, no extreme situations. It is, instead, a mostly normal bittersweet drama/romance film about two gay guys, and by virtue of being mostly normal, it's a way better look at what that means than most films that try. I dunno, it was very refreshing for me. No recommendation because I'm not sure what anyone else will get out of it. Which is something the movie talks about, actually. . .
Only Lovers Left Alive
Liked it a lot. Very recommended. A vampire movie with Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston as leads, and they both do great performances.The first half-hour or so seems like it's going to be very, very Anne Ricey, but it's really not. It handily sidesteps the usual pitfalls of that kind of melodrama while keeping some of the most interesting compelling parts. It's also got a fantastic sense of dry humor. I laughed harder at parts of this movie than I did at any of the outright comedies here. It manages to humanize the hypercultured old soul model of vampire by grounding it in day-to-day life, with real problems and real happiness. It manages to not take itself too seriously and yet still treat its characters with the utmost respect.
Audition
Liked it. Recommended. A very strange Japanese horror movie. Chronologically discontinuous or involving a great deal of hallucination/other mind[censored]ery. Or both. Though I don't think there's a whole lot of room for interprettion, some elements of the movie are simply unclear. Which is not necessarily bad! Those parts were genuinely upsetting and added to the tense i-don't-know-what's-wrong-but-holy-[censored]-something-is atmosphere the movie was going for. Gory and gross in weird ways, and a fantastically unsettling performance by the lead actress. It's straight-up horror, though, so not everyone's thing.
LEGO Movie
Didn't like it. No recommendation. It wasn't dismal or intolerable or anything, it just wasn't ever funny or interesting or anything at all. I was completely uninvested in everything happening. I guess I'm the only person in the world that thought that, though, so it's probably safe to ignore me.
Birdman
Liked it. Recommended. I won't really get into it, because I'm sure you've heard plenty of wonderful stuff about this one. It's all only a little bit overstated.
Let the Right One In(Swedish version)
Loved it. Very highly recommended. Very minor spoiler, it's a
Spoiler
/horror movie, starring two kids and involving like two adults in the supporting cast. And the performances aren't bad! They're kinda good! The set design matches the tone perfectly, better than anything I can think of(which is why I mention such a specific detail). It uses violence real well, it has a great plot arc, many great dramatic or ~emotional~ moments. I'm running into the old problem here: its real good, so it's hard to specify the ways in which it's good because it just wraps you up in all the seamless goodness. It is important to watch the Swedish version, here. The American remake ruins a lot.
The Host
Liked it a lot. Very recommended. This is a Korean monster movie, revolving around a family of an old father and his adult children. I'll get right to the point - the best thing about this film is how preposterously well it mixes comedy, tragedy, and drama. It's a very funny film. It's a very sad film. It's a very dramatic film. It's really great at all of those and somehow they all work together perfectly. It involves outright slapstick, slow-motion fight scenes that are totally legitimately awesome and are not silly, and really truly heart-wrenching character deaths. I can barely understand how they did that, but they did, and it's amazing to watch.
The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness
Liked it. Recommend it, if the subject interests you. This is the Studio Ghibli documentary. It was interesting, but it's not exactly a documentary about Studio Ghibli. It is not much concerned with the history of the studio, or every movie they've made, or anything like that. Rather, it's a look at how the studio works today, the production and release of several of their more recent movies, the personal life and character of Miyazaki and a few other employees, and a little bit about the future. It's contemplative and melancholy.
Akira
Liked it. Mildly recommended. Speaking of anime. This was pretty okay, though it was very clearly a heavily compressed version of something much longer. It does a very poor job of making the main character's
Spoiler
plausible.
What We Do in the Shadows
Liked it, recommend it. Another vampire movie, this one a comedic mockumentary. It's about a bunch of petty loser vampires who share a house and think they're way cooler than they really are. It is pretty funny.
V/H/S
Mixed bag. No recommendation. This is a compilation of horror shorts. It's a real mixed bag. The framing device is pretty dumb, and several of the shorts are very dumb and bad and not worth watching. Some of them are good, though! The first one is quite well put-together, if fairly perfunctory, and another gave me the first feeling of real physical revulsion I've gotten from a film - I got very dizzy and lightheaded and nauseous and had to lie down for a bit. Might have been a fluke, but it did happen to me.

I've also recently rewatched:

Watchmen
This is the first movie that I can recall deciding to watch as an autonomous being. I really wasn't into movies at all for most of my childhood. And I love the comic, because of course I do. So, this movie's a little personally important. I liked it a lot when I was twelve or w/e, even before reading the comic. It's reeeaaally not a great movie. It spends a lot of time poorly introducing characters and concepts, it's way too actiony, a lot of the performances are bad, and not in a campy way(really the only decent ones are Ozymandias and Rorschach), a lot of the writing is unforgivably expository or manufactured or wooden, the plot is rushed, and dear lord, whoever did the makeup for this movie should be crucified. I actually like the big change it makes to the comic's ending, and the source material is good enough to shine through in spots, but then there's all that other stuff. I still like it for my own idiosyncratic reasons, but I really can't recommend it.
Dune
I like this movie a lot. And I think it's straight-up pretty good, if you're good at picking up on context. It doesn't have anything close to the problems Watchmen does, but still suffers for being (apparently) impenetrable if you haven't read the book. Changing the weirding way to the sound guns is a minor negative. Stuff left out makes me sad. Still, it gets a good deal of Dune right, and I love Dune.
Django Unchained
This is one of my very favorite movies to watch! I don't usually rewatch movies, despite the existence of this portion of the list. Django is an exception. It's just plain fun to watch, and it's unique and smarter than anyone gives it credit for and the soundtrack is fantastic. Jamie Foxx is a delight, DiCaprio is a delight, the entire supporting cast is a delight. The action is fast and ridiculous and cathartic. And it expertly mixes being serious and being darkly funny and being ridiculously funny. It's great.
Dredd
It's a nice action movie. A simple premise, simple characters, good fights, just enough twists along the way. Not a whole lot else to say about it. It's just a competent movie with simple ambitions that it follows through on well. An enjoyable watch.
The mutilation of the self is the only path towards real personal growth.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE
TELL ME. . .
WHAT AM I?
I CANNOT SEE

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,448 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:56 PM #27 What have you been watching recently?

View PostA River of Stones, on 31 July 2015 - 05:10 PM, said:

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness
Liked it. Recommend it, if the subject interests you. This is the Studio Ghibli documentary. It was interesting, but it's not exactly a documentary about Studio Ghibli. It is not much concerned with the history of the studio, or every movie they've made, or anything like that. Rather, it's a look at how the studio works today, the production and release of several of their more recent movies, the personal life and character of Miyazaki and a few other employees, and a little bit about the future. It's contemplative and melancholy.

Almost as melancholic and haunting as the best that Ghibli has put out. I found it more watchable than some Ghibli movies - and I'm probably this forum's greatest fan of these movies (I concede that Slarty is probably a bigger Spirited Away fan).

Definitely watch it if you can.

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,845 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:08 PM #28 What have you been watching recently?

View PostSo Jaded and Weary, on 01 August 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

Almost as melancholic and haunting as the best that Ghibli has put out. I found it more watchable than some Ghibli movies - and I'm probably this forum's greatest fan of these movies (I concede that Slarty is probably a bigger Spirited Away fan).

Definitely watch it if you can.

is that the one where miyazaki says that anime is trash

Karan S'jet Karan S'jet

seiðmaðr

• Member ID: 3,440
  • 4,255 posts
  • LocationInvisible Cities

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:34 PM #29 What have you been watching recently?

Those screencaps are fake. He does say a few similar things, though. :p
The mutilation of the self is the only path towards real personal growth.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE
TELL ME. . .
WHAT AM I?
I CANNOT SEE

Raf Raf

Citizen

• Member ID: 15,406
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:08 AM #30 What have you been watching recently?

Last thing I've watched, is a short cartoon series called Over the garden wall. I can highly recommend it, as it does pretty much everything just right.

Arch-Mage Solberg Arch-Mage Solberg

Tinkermage

• Member ID: 252
  • 722 posts
  • LocationIn the Ether!

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:11 AM #31 What have you been watching recently?

I'm on a Doctor Who marathon this weekend. Love that show.
Solberg has been kept alive for many years by pure magic. Magic that infused every particle of his being. He tapped into all of that energy, letting it pour forth, to fight the slithzerikai. And now it is gone. Archmage Solberg, hero of Avernum, fearless defender of your homeland since the earliest days, is gone.

Solberg Percival McGangor  Born 742 Died 882  140 years

Lobita Lobita

Citizen

• Member ID: 7,709
  • 40 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:05 PM #32 What have you been watching recently?

I used to be rabidly into Doctor Who but I stopped in the Matt Smith seasons... I dunno man, it's just always so convoluted and implausible, there's only so much stuff I can accept before I start raising an eyebrow. I can't tell if the show has changed or if my tastes have changed. I would like to muscle through it eventually to see the Doctor after him, maybe I'll like him a little better.

I'm in this rut right now where all the interesting shows on my queue are ones my husband wants to watch with me, but he's always working evenings when I am in the mood to watch TV, so I "save" shows for him and try to scrounge around for other stuff to watch instead. So I've been watching all those somewhat trashy throwaway shows like Storage Wars and Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. They're like potato chips... fun but not filling and not usually memorable once it's over. I've also been watching every true crime show on Netflix. Going to run out soon.

When husbando and I actually DO watch stuff together, we've been going through the new season of Bojack Horseman and MLP. I joked that it's the depressing horse show followed by the optimistic horse show. We also are huge Steven Universe and Gravity Falls fans and catch the new episodes of those a few days after they air.
When in doubt, kill it with fire.

Arancaytar Arancaytar

Archivist

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,001
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationThe Empire of Ermarian

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:06 AM #33 What have you been watching recently?

I recently started binge-watching Burn Notice; I'm now about halfway through the sixth season.

Also, I started to catch up on six years of NCIS - the last season I definitely completed was the fifth.

Eldibs Eldibs

Blademaster

• Member ID: 1,034
  • 854 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:32 PM #34 What have you been watching recently?

I recently watched the new Daredevil series on Netflix and found it to be very enjoyable.
"You can't count on God for jack! He pretty much told me so himself!"
-Bender Bending Rodriguez, Futurama

Maybe he was just a dragon?

Jerakeen Jerakeen

Runcible Pastrytarian

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,477
  • 2,519 posts
  • LocationThree Sheets to the Wind house, in Sinshan

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:12 PM #35 What have you been watching recently?

View PostEldibs, on 03 August 2015 - 12:32 PM, said:

I recently watched the new Daredevil series on Netflix and found it to be very enjoyable.
Me too, but you have to not think too much about the fact that he's using savage beatings and torture to try to save his neighborhood from crime.

I'm about 4 or 5 episodes into Bojack Horseman. I was doubtful at first, but it's actually very good!

I'm also watching Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell on TMNgo. It's a long time since I read the book, so I'm not sure how faithful it is, but I'm very much enjoying it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users