dolphindave

This is about Avadon 2 in particular and the Avernum/Avadon games in general. I have real difficulty ending the games. I find I and my party is never powerful enough to finish Readbeard or whatever boss is at the very end. I always play at normal setting but even changing to casual doesn't help. Does starting at Torture level make a big difference in the final level? Any hints/help would be appreciated.

DD

With Avadon 1, you were not expected to beat Redbeard, that was an optional ending. For Avadon 2 and A:EftP, I would suggest looking at some of the tactics guides in these forums. Do you do the side quests? If you do all of the side quests you will max out your characters abilities prior to the final fights, especially in Avadon 1 and 2. I would also suggest holding back on using many of the expendables to save them for the final fights, which is more doable on normal or casual than on Torture. I do not believe that starting on torture would make it easier to win in the end, I suspect rather the opposite, but I only play on normal.

• 1 month later...

@ dolphindave: I can't remember significant differencies playing Avadon 2 on Normal, Hard and Torment mode, this is because I got much of the help I could get in each playthrough; this means I often cheated in first playthroughs, then lowering the "help" amount meanwhile I piled up experience.

However, when you decide to confront Redbeard in a new playthrough then you need to plan this fight in advance, and you can: 1) join the rebels 2) find some documents downstairs and give them to the right person.

You will get objects that will make the final fight easier and quicker.