Recreations of the original Exile games

JackDandy

Hi there!

I wanted to try and play the original Exile games on my comp, without fiddling around with virtual machines and the sort.

I understand that there are recreations of the original Exile 1-2-3 campaigns that can be played on the Blades of Exile engine (Which does work on modern systems)- but I can't seem to find them. Can you help me out?

I understand that there are recreations of the original Exile 1-2-3 campaigns that can be played on the Blades of Exile engine (Which does work on modern systems)- but I can't seem to find them. Can you help me out?

I've never heard of that. You might be thinking of the BoA outdoor and town templates, which are 1) not in BoE and 2) not playable, or of scenarios that are "as large" as the Exile games.

I don't think there are recreations of the Exile trilogy in BoE, and in fact I doubt they could be faithfully recreated in BoE anyway at this point. They don't use the same engine. BoE's engine is pretty similar to Exile 3's engine, but lacks some of the features of that engine (like template towns and town-specific terrain types), though I think it also has features that Exile 3's engine lacks; and some of the mechanics are a little different, such as the Capture Soul and Simulacrum spells, and in general the set of starting spells.

It's possible that at some point the BoE engine will be able to faithfully recreate Exile 3 at least, but even if that happens, I don't think it's a good idea, unless you get permission from Jeff himself.

It's not that hard to get the Exile trilogy running on Windows 7 (probably similar on 8, not sure though) if you have Pro or better, by downloading Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode; I know you didn't want to mess with virtualization, but it sets everything up for you and pretty much just works. If you don't have Pro though, you might be out of luck on that.

Still using Win98se here. If it aint broke, don't upgrade from it. :) PC's 14 years old and have only up'd the RAM (128 to 384) and a 33.6 modem to DSL. The standard of a new pc every new MS OS is BS. Yes, you need to stay current if wanting to use FB, Youtube, and other standards but let's face it, why would you want to? :)

If you just gotta keep up with the Jones', shouldn't be much of a chore to buy some $50 hd and use it for an older OS like 98 so you can play actually good games (as opposed to everything since 2000 or so which is just flashy eye-candy but no depth of immagination. ...Yes, I'm the real-life guy 'Sheldon' of TBBT is based upon. :)

It's not really true what you say of new games, though there might've been a period when it was. There are quite a lot of more innovative new games coming out more recently.

Also, the philosophy of not upgrading if it's not broken is a little silly. Okay, you don't need to keep up with all the latest updates, you don't even need to get a new PC whenever a new OS comes out, but at some point you should probably realize you're way out of date and just get a new computer. Exactly when that is? No idea. There may be some slipping backwards here and there, but on the whole, the progression from Win98 onwards is just that — progress. Improvements. Making things work better. It's not all just flashy eye-candy. (Obviously some of it is, but not all!)

If your current computer still works for you, well, okay. I suppose there's no hurry to upgrade. (Unless you're worried about security and stuff.) But I doubt you can put it off forever.

D.A.:

I still have an older W-98 in the Basement Rec. Room. I kept it because it's the last TRUE DOS. During the Winter, it's a great way to relive some of the original games like the TSR D&D 9-pack while listening to Doo-Wop.

Yeah...I'm 73 and really don't enjoy the new Lap-Top I just bought, but ya' just have to peddle harder to keep up. ;^}

me