Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Lets Play Nethergate: Resurrection

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic
Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 6,380
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:26 AM #36 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

I admit, I took two magic-users because A: I had no idea I was going to get one that was so much BETTER later, and B: I didn't want to pile all my magical eggs in one meaty basket.  Once that basket gets dropped things can rapidly fall apart after all.

My playstyle has always been less specialized and more Jack-of-all-trades generalness.  A bit of everything so I can always at least get by passably everywhere.  Anti-magic field?  I got a couple magic-users to deal with that.  Strong warriors charging in to stab my healer?  Got a couple warriors to protect him.  Locked door?  Got a lockpicker.

Also Javelins are heavy and have limited ammo and I HATE getting encumbered and am a notorious pack rat.

Either way, at least we've finally made it to Vanarium.  WOO.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,773
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:14 AM #37 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

I use slings myself. When Javelins are available one of the PCs uses them.
If you wanted to, you could turn one of your Druids into a warrior. Using the Character Editor you could give him/her the same stats as one of your warriors,

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:33 AM #38 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Tempting, but I'm sticking with my decisions.  I didn't remake my party 4 episodes in to undo the choice of "Strong back" for Septimus, I'm sticking with my bad choices that left me with three magic-users in a Roman party.  FOR THE SAKE OF THE LET'S PLAY, MY FAILURE SHALL LIVE ON AS MY STUBBORNESS SENDS ME TO SUCCESS!!!!

Anyway, here's the next episode where I actually SUCCEED in something from the previous areas I couldn't complete.  No not that one.  Yes, that one.

Spoiler

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:04 AM #39 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

I played with 4 Roman magic-users and found that eventually they needed warrior skills and buffed with magic.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:51 PM #40 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

With the Romans you don't get the best spells for starters. Then melee is usually effective against all monsters. High level monsters are never killed by spells in one hit.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:41 AM #41 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Wandering, exploring, and so forth in the overworld.  Yaaaaaaay!

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:45 AM #42 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

So many Bazaar creatures and faeries in this place.... fascinating...

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:35 AM #43 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Many things hidden beneath the bazaar... including some interesting things.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:36 AM #44 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Strange creatures, these Selkies.  Also we go back and take care of things we passed by again.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:53 AM #45 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

When my party cleared that bridge to the NE of the Ruined Hall, they were no more than level 10. Problem you are facing would not just be levels.
Getting across that bridge to the NE of the Ruined Hall is still tough. My party used spells like Battle Rage, Shielding and Quicksilver Feet, as well as an awful lot of Healing spells. Along with a lot of spell power. Quicksilver Feet can be cast on a Druid so they cast two spells per round. Healing spells cost six times the spell points of Mild Healing spells but they do provide more healing.

Second Hagfen quest
Avoiding that morally questionable quest to get the Selkie Chief's pelt, add the following to the t15Selkiehome.txt town script, immediately after beginstate INIT_STATE;:
reward_give(181);
This gives the party the item the hags seek, they get a really nice reward too. Serve those murderous hags right too.

Spoiler

Edited by Ishad Nha, 23 May 2014 - 06:53 AM.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:44 AM #46 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Finally we can head into this temple to get the item the Hags seek.  At least we can kill Brigantes now...

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:34 AM #47 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

I hope those old crones are happy to get this bloody gauntlet...

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:38 AM #48 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Life as a Roman, "learning" spells that you will never get the Spell Circle levels to actually cast. (Not without hacking some scripts.)
Maximum bang for your buck spells are the combat buffs: Shielding, Battle Rage and Quicksilver Feet. Especially true for Romans, who don't get the best spells anyway.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:41 AM #49 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

So apparently goblins are from Brooklyn now... huh...

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:53 AM #50 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

A tricky area this, with many challenges and puzzles.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:06 AM #51 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

My party was able to complete this easily enough. Toughest fight is in the NW corner of the Warrens. You could cast Beast Ceremony before you try to smash the tiles. Alternately, retreat around a corner and let the undead come to you in melee.

I don't bother trying to kill Reptrakos the Dragon. That would require the use of Invulnerability potions or whatever.

Edited by Ishad Nha, 26 May 2014 - 07:10 PM.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:46 AM #52 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

A puzzling place this is.  If anyone knows how to reach that sixth one, please let me know.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:14 AM #53 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Sounds like you need the Sever Seal spell from the Spirit Circle, Romans can't cast spells from that Circle without hacking the game.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:29 AM #54 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Oh, so THAT'S what the creature is...

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:53 AM #55 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Quicksilver Feet might give your fighters the edge, it should double the damage they do in a given space of time. Ditto, it would enable the Druids to heal twice as much damage in the same time.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:30 AM #56 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Whole bunch of various things happening in this episode.  Not much to say beyond that.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:53 AM #57 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Hagfen, the place to be, as you will soon see...

My Druids have minimal weapon skills and strong magic. Their melee/ranged attacks leave a lot to be desired but the magic makes up for that. Once they have attained level 8 in Druidism, Health Circle and Battle Circle they then go on to develop more weapon skills. Roman melee is impressive but they still need magic.
Celts can just begin playing but Romans really need to know what is going to happen in the game. That means they can go straight to sources of spells as soon as they are able.

Reptrakos the Dragon can be wiped out with no loss of PCs but the two fighters used Invulnerability Draughts as soon as combat started. Hero of Old was then cast upon each of them.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:35 AM #58 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Well I know which side I'm choosing in this little Feud of Skins here...

Spoiler

Jerakeen Jerakeen

Runcible Pastrytarian

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,477
  • 2,519 posts
  • LocationThree Sheets to the Wind house, in Sinshan

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:22 AM #59 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

You can choose both sides. It feels pretty evil, but the selkies are not entirely innocent themselves.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:32 AM #60 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

I give myself the Pelt, via the method outlined in post #45 above. I may also kill the Hags after the quest is completed. Never do I harm the Selkies.
Thus there is a good way to do both the Selkie and the Hag quests.

Edited by Ishad Nha, 30 May 2014 - 06:19 PM.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:57 AM #61 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Finishing up the previous quest, followed by taking care of a few things left behind.  It's time to go back...

Oh yes, and I shan't be doing any editing of game files or anything like that unless the game was rendered broken by some bug or something.  Just a note.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:23 PM #62 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

If you don't edit game files you have to kill the Selkie Chief or pass over a really nice reward...
(This game is biased against the Romans in the area of quests).

North of that bridge you will find dungeons that should be profitable and survivable.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:20 AM #63 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Guess I'll be missing out on that reward then.  No hacks, and killing the chief just seems mean.  Ah well, such is my way sometimes!

Either way, at long last we FINALLY head into the northeast!  EXPLORATIONS ABOUND!!!!

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:32 AM #64 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Ah, fomorians.  Big lugs with big clubs.  This is gonna be fun.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:36 PM #65 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Piercing Sight, range is not all that great if you are walking away from its area of effect. It is best cast on the boundary between the known and the unexplored. The room with the Savage Altar was thus not detected. Two other areas were not detected too.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:27 AM #66 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

View PostIshad Nha, on 02 June 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

Piercing Sight, range is not all that great if you are walking away from its area of effect. It is best cast on the boundary between the known and the unexplored. The room with the Savage Altar was thus not detected. Two other areas were not detected too.
And here I thought the room with the savage altar wasn't detected just because I didn't see the door.  :p

Backtracking a bit here to take care of parts we didn't finish before.  Filled with SPIRITS.

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:50 PM #67 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Hero of Old is like being able to cast Beast Ceremony and Haste on an individual PC in the middle of combat. I use it a lot.
Especially useful in N:R when you open a door and find a big fight awaiting you, then you usually can't close the door to cast Beast Ceremony (unlike Original Nethergate).
Useful outdoors in both versions of Nethergate where you can never cast non-combat spells like the Ceremony.

I don't think you ever get Total Healing or Heartshock as a Roman. You never get the ability to cast any of the five Nether Circle spells.

You may be doing a second version of your playthrough entitled "Older but Wiser", Romans really get a raw deal in spellcasting.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:31 AM #68 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

So many goblins here... it feels kinda like a massacre to be honest.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,607 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:42 AM #69 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

Wandering through caves and taking care of a quest we were hinted at long ago.  Now why was that quest supposed to be hard again?

Spoiler

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:03 AM #70 Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

I am now trying a party where you have three warriors and one Druid. Warriors develop combat skills and Druid develops the spellcasting.
Each warrior has one, and only one, level in the Healing Circle. They don't wear heavy armor so they are not encumbered, hence they usually hit their targets.
Druid has only one level in Melee, Javelins and Slings. So far it seems a strong party, it went through the Mines effortlessly. Rhian will join as the second spellcaster.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lets Play, Nethergate: Resurrection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users