Nethergate: Resurrection Let's Play!

My party was able to complete this easily enough. Toughest fight is in the NW corner of the Warrens. You could cast Beast Ceremony before you try to smash the tiles. Alternately, retreat around a corner and let the undead come to you in melee.

I don't bother trying to kill Reptrakos the Dragon. That would require the use of Invulnerability potions or whatever.

Edited by Ishad Nha

Hagfen, the place to be, as you will soon see...

My Druids have minimal weapon skills and strong magic. Their melee/ranged attacks leave a lot to be desired but the magic makes up for that. Once they have attained level 8 in Druidism, Health Circle and Battle Circle they then go on to develop more weapon skills. Roman melee is impressive but they still need magic.

Celts can just begin playing but Romans really need to know what is going to happen in the game. That means they can go straight to sources of spells as soon as they are able.

Reptrakos the Dragon can be wiped out with no loss of PCs but the two fighters used Invulnerability Draughts as soon as combat started. Hero of Old was then cast upon each of them.

Piercing Sight, range is not all that great if you are walking away from its area of effect. It is best cast on the boundary between the known and the unexplored. The room with the Savage Altar was thus not detected. Two other areas were not detected too.

And here I thought the room with the savage altar wasn't detected just because I didn't see the door. :p

Backtracking a bit here to take care of parts we didn't finish before. Filled with SPIRITS.

Hero of Old is like being able to cast Beast Ceremony and Haste on an individual PC in the middle of combat. I use it a lot.

Especially useful in N:R when you open a door and find a big fight awaiting you, then you usually can't close the door to cast Beast Ceremony (unlike Original Nethergate).

Useful outdoors in both versions of Nethergate where you can never cast non-combat spells like the Ceremony.

I don't think you ever get Total Healing or Heartshock as a Roman. You never get the ability to cast any of the five Nether Circle spells.

You may be doing a second version of your playthrough entitled "Older but Wiser", Romans really get a raw deal in spellcasting.

I am now trying a party where you have three warriors and one Druid. Warriors develop combat skills and Druid develops the spellcasting.

Each warrior has one, and only one, level in the Healing Circle. They don't wear heavy armor so they are not encumbered, hence they usually hit their targets.

Druid has only one level in Melee, Javelins and Slings. So far it seems a strong party, it went through the Mines effortlessly. Rhian will join as the second spellcaster.

My hunch is that N:R is set up in a way that makes a pure Fighter and a pure Druid more powerful than a pair of Fighter/Druids.

Fighting from exploration mode rather than combat mode disguises this.

You say that, but there are, as in most games, balances. Fighters can do heavy damage yes, but ranged units can tear them apart, and it can take them a while to reach their foes (Longer if heavy armor drains them of AP). Mages have that range and can do decent varieties of damage, but they're limited in how many spells they can cast, and they are frequently quite fragile. This is why I generally try to go with equal amounts of both types... I don't excel in one or the other, but I end up doing passably well in all circumstances. Hell if I had an all-fighter party I'd get torn apart by guys on ledges with little way to respond beyond using slings and precious javelins.

Either way, here we find the Rose Lady. Surprisingly tricky, she is.

N:R nerfed Druids compared to the original game. The game caps the target number for multi-target spells so a pure Roman Druid party is much harder.

You work best with a combination of fighters and druids that provide buffing spells and healing during combat. You tend to get more damage from fighters and save the spell power for range attacks when needed because the fighters can't reach their targets. However fighters should have some range attacks for closing the gap and when they can't reach because of ledges.

My party was able to totally wipe out all hostiles in the Hollow Hills, without any losses, when they were level 16. This happened when fighting from combat mode not the easier exploration mode.

Before you take out the Rose Lady remember to buy up anything that might prove useful, the storekeepers all turn hostile once you attack the Lady.

In post #72 I was talking about concentrating all of a PC's skill points in combat skills for fighters, and concentrating them in magic for Druids. I suspect that if you split a PC's skill points between combat and magic, the PC will be much weaker. I have three fighters and two Druids.

Slings are still useful for Romans, just the thing for enemies on raised platforms.

Edited by Ishad Nha

Slings are still useful for Romans, just the thing for enemies on raised platforms, all party members should have them.

Wand of Carrunos strengthens the foe, just the thing for an interesting fight.

You missed two treasure areas in the Maze of Thorns. It has five inaccessible areas.

I always check every body for loot, frequently you find junk but sometimes you really hit the jackpot.

Romans never get Heartshock or Total Healing, regardless of levels in War and Health Circles, not without hacking the game. This is different to the original Nethergate where you did get both spells.

Slings are still useful for Romans, just the thing for enemies on raised platforms, all party members should have them.

Wand of Carrunos strengthens the foe, just the thing for an interesting fight.

You missed two treasure areas in the Maze of Thorns. It has five inaccessible areas.

I always check every body for loot, frequently you find junk but sometimes you really hit the jackpot.

Romans never get Heartshock or Total Healing, regardless of levels in War and Health Circles, not without hacking the game. This is different to the original Nethergate where you did get both spells.

If you notice, I actually have slings on three of my party members. Julius and Augustus, however, carry blessed javelins to use in a pinch, when they can't reach and the targets are strong.

Wow, Wands of Carrunos seem useless then. I'll have to dump it.

Figures I missed areas... bloody walls seemed impossible to get through despite trying.

I check every body as well. Always check everything.

Sucks that we won't get the spells. I can hope but... nyeh.

And now to finish off something we left behind long ago.

With missile weapons you can do fire and movement, just the thing for the Maze.

Secret doors are usually only one square wide, so you must check every last square in the affected area. Numeric keypad makes that quick and simple.

You don't need Heartshock but that only leaves two offensive spells, (then there is Bite of the Serpent which is annoying rather than dangerous).

With the Beastmaster Bracelet you can now cast Coils of the Serpent, handy in a tough fight.

Edited by Ishad Nha

My three warrior and two Druid party just completed the game without major problems. Fight with the four Cave Slimes was tough even with the Hero of Old spell being used. Maybe send in one fighter covered with a Draught of Invulnerability...

West part of the Hall of the Lamp is Celt-only, ditto the part where you were is Roman-only.

Sylak's Skull can be parked near the entrance of a dungeon when you enter it, then you can collect it when you leave.