Core attributes for different classes

KJMiller

I'm sorry, I have looked and looked and can't get a clear answer.. What exactly are the best core attributes for the different classes in Avadon?

I am reasonably certain it is intelligence for the sorcerers and shamens, and my sorcerer is a force to be reckoned with having very high Int (while pretty much ignoring everything else). The same strategy with my shaman, though, is having rather lame results.

Also, after level 15, my blademaster, shadowwalker and tinkermage don't seem to be becoming all that they can be. I've been training my blademaster and shadowwalker primarily in strength (with about every third point going to dex), and my tinkermage was pretty even in str and dex until I guessed I needed to be focusing more on dex.

Can anyone clarify? And if it matters, I play on torment because I like a challenge. Thanks much!

There isn't exactly a "core attribute" for a class. The best discussion of this is here and in comparable threads in Strategy Central.

(In brief: For BM, SW, and TM, your primary attack is based on Dex if you're using a bow or razordisk and based on Str if you're using a melee weapon. That's the most important thing to raise first and foremost.)

What do you mean by "tower"?

The breakdown is like this:

Melee attacks and special abilities are always based on Strength.

Ranged attacks and special abilities are always based on Dexterity if they do physical damage, and always based on Intelligence if they do elemental damage.

Note that anything that can be used on a target more than one space away from you counts as a ranged attack, including AoE attacks centred on you and attacks like Berserker Leap that move you to your target.

edit: oh, you mean turrets. Nothing affects how strong they are except for how many levels you've put into Turret Craft and the relevant turret skill. The Shaman's summoning skills work the same way, as do healing abilities: they're all independent of stats and dependent only on skill level.

Melee attacks and special abilities are always based on Strength.

Ranged attacks and special abilities are always based on Dexterity if they do physical damage, and always based on Intelligence if they do elemental damage.

This is ALMOST correct, but unfortunately, there is a very important exception.

Ranged special attacks granted by scarabs are always based on Dexterity if you are a Blademaster, Shadowwalker, or Tinkermage.

Ranged special attacks granted by scarabs are always based on Intelligence if you are a Sorceror or Shaman.

This is hardcoded. It is also one of the biggest advantages of the physical-oriented classes, as they can obtain multiple very strong elemental AoE attacks... while at the same time obtaining the meaningful defensive benefits of Dexterity.

Thanks Lilith and Slartibus for helpful explanations.

The skill system is pretty confusing. I've been playing Tinkermage for a while and using razordisk weapons. If I want to maximize my Wristflinger Training skill I need to put 8 points to Blade Training and Blade Craft both of which benefit melee attacks that I don't use?

If I want to maximize Yankshot I need to put 8 points to each of the following skills: Blade Training, Blade Craft, Build Boltflinger, Wristflinger Training, Armor Craft. That's a lot of points! Will I have that many in 30 levels?

I've also had hard time deciding which turrets to use. How much more damage does Razorflinger level 11 deal compared to Freezing Turret level 2 or Snare Turret level 4?

Thanks Lilith and Slartibus for helpful explanations.

The skill system is pretty confusing. I've been playing Tinkermage for a while and using razordisk weapons. If I want to maximize my Wristflinger Training skill I need to put 8 points to Blade Training and Blade Craft both of which benefit melee attacks that I don't use?

Yeah. It might be meant to encourage you to diversify, except it doesn't really work unless you're also spreading out your stat allocation between multiple attacking stats, which hurts your hit rate and damage.

If I want to maximize Yankshot I need to put 8 points to each of the following skills: Blade Training, Blade Craft, Build Boltflinger, Wristflinger Training, Armor Craft. That's a lot of points! Will I have that many in 30 levels?

Yeah, but you'll have basically no skill points left over to spend in other important skills, like lockpicking. It's not too hard to get a top-tier skill up to 6 to unlock its upgraded form, at least.

I've also had hard time deciding which turrets to use. How much more damage does Razorflinger level 11 deal compared to Freezing Turret level 2 or Snare Turret level 4?

In general, the top-tier turrets (Freezing and Inferno) are best for raw damage even at low levels unless the target is immune or highly resistant, while temporal, blessing and healing pylons are good for their secondary effects.

A higher-tier turret will always be more powerful than a lower one*, no matter how many points you pour into it. The reason being that those extra points don't make any difference. That's right, the tooltips lie. Surprise.

The Tinkermage's right-hand column is only good for unlocking turrets, not improving them. If you want to actually raise their level (and you do), raise Turret Craft. And don't waste skill points raising turret skills one point higher than you need to unlock them.

*Bear in mind that with a Snare Turret, damage is only part of the effect.

Snare Turrets are PHENOMENAL. Their damage output is small, but it's radius damage so in big fights they can actually outdamage other turrets. More importantly, they cause AOE ENSNARE. 1 Temporal Turret + 1 Snare Turret can keep enemies at bay indefinitely, while you snipe at them -- this effect is further compounded, if you also use Call of the Frenzy.

I've put 8 points to Build Boltflinger and have one level of utility specialization. Fortunately the points won't be wasted if I go for Turret Craft in the middle column. The turret seems to be very sturdy and deal moderate damage to enemies I've been facing (hard difficulty).

5+6+6+(2+7)*2 = 35 points is what is would take to max the middle column and get Wristflinger training still. I still have 17 levels to gain so 34 points to use.