Finally, some progress!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic
Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:05 PM #36 Finally, some progress!

Yay, looks good!
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:28 PM #37 Finally, some progress!

Working cutscenes!

Posted Image

(Actually, there are a few things to iron out still, like showing terrain changes during cutscenes, but still, most of it works.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:04 PM #38 Finally, some progress!

And now, another release! Lots of bugfixes, a few new features.

Download: Mac | Windows | Windows installer | HTML documentation

Note: There are still a few minor issues with the uninstaller; some things might not be removed properly. However, using the installer has the advantage of letting you double-click BoE saved games and scenarios.

There's also a makefile in progress (currently it works perfectly for compiling on Mac, but makes no allowances for Windows), so perhaps Sylae's automated build setup can finally be put to use soon. See it here (also notice build.sh, which is the main entry point for building the game).

Tevildo Tevildo

Watcher

• Member ID: 12,857
  • 192 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA, United States

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:37 AM #39 Finally, some progress!

Just FYI, as of Wine 1.7.45, the VC++ package is installable in Wine and the game runs!

Edit: err, it runs, but is very slow and crashes a lot. I'll see if I can fix any of this stuff.

Edit 2: looks like an unimplemented function is being called somewhere. I think it might have to do with different C++ function name mangling on Windows vs. Linux? Not sure.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:06 PM #40 Finally, some progress!

It seems like that unimplemented function is something to do with threads. I already put up a new Windows version which should fix it (by using a different thread class).

If you're going to try and fix stuff, I'll go make sure I've pushed everything I have.

Tevildo Tevildo

Watcher

• Member ID: 12,857
  • 192 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA, United States

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:57 AM #41 Finally, some progress!

The above works now. Thank you! Seriously, this is amazing.

Edit: still crashes on save in the Scenario Editor...

Really though I should not have offered to try and fix stuff, because
a) I'm not much good with C++
B) I'm mad busy right now (just started on a new job last week)

And also I've basically abandoned the idea of making a BoE scenario, at this point.

Your work is seriously impressive though. Just messing around in the Scenario Editor, I was able to create a wand that shoots slime and is powered by the weilder's intelligence. The level of control is astonishing.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:13 AM #42 Finally, some progress!

That's okay, there's no obligation for you to help fix things, after all. Still, if you happen to find time or motivation later, that would be nice.

For now, if you could send me the crash report from when you tried saving in the Scenario Editor (with the stack trace and everything), that would be great. (Or if it was an "Error!!!" dialog, then copy the error message with the Copy button and paste it here.

As for your messing around, I'm not really quite sure what you've done to make that wand, but I'm glad you like my work.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:02 AM #43 Finally, some progress!

Here's another release, with more bugfixes and some new features (like Resize Outdoors and Import Outdoor Sector, and recursive search for scenarios so that you can put them in subfolders).

Also, if you drop the docs into doc/ in the BoE directory (so that you have three folders editor/, game/, img/ under doc/), the game will use that when Help Contents is requested, rather than connecting to the online copy on Sylae's website.

Download: Mac | Windows | Windows installer | HTML documentation

The Windows Installer now includes the documentation as an optional module. The main advantage of using the installer is that you'll be able to double-click saved games and scenarios to open them; I'm assuming this won't work if you're running under WINE, though.

Note: There are still a few minor issues with the uninstaller; some things might not be removed properly. However, using the installer has the advantage of letting you double-click BoE saved games and scenarios.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:12 PM #44 Finally, some progress!

I discovered a bug in the above build that will cause loss of data in some situations when saving. The special abilities of your equipment will become corrupted, and in the scenario editor, terrain type abilities will also be shuffled. In particular, do not save on the above build if the party is split up.

I'll have a new build to replace it soon, maybe later today, maybe tomorrow (depending when I get around to it; feel free to poke me if you want it sooner) - the bug has already been fixed in my local repository.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:01 PM #45 Finally, some progress!

As promised, here's another release fixing the save/load bugs and some other things.

Download: Mac | Windows | Windows installer

Note: There may still be a few minor issues with the uninstaller; some things might not be removed properly. However, using the installer has the advantage of letting you double-click BoE saved games and scenarios.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:26 PM #46 Finally, some progress!

Well, that version has another save/load bug (fortunately nowhere near as serious as the last one). This time, it only affects new-format scenarios, messing up the status effects that monster abilities inflict.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:01 PM #47 Finally, some progress!

And now, yet another release! This one includes lots of new graphics, thanks to ADoS. In particular, the new status effects and the party status effects finally have icons made specifically for them (rather than placeholders grabbed from Blades of Avernum).

Download: Mac | Windows | Windows installer | Documentation (note that the installer includes this)

Note: There may still be a few minor issues with the uninstaller; some things might not be removed properly. However, using the installer has the advantage of letting you double-click BoE saved games and scenarios.

Ir the Great Ir the Great

Citizen

• Member ID: 13,000
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:27 PM #48 Finally, some progress!

I think I know the prob. I experienced earlier. Looking through some files, apparently shaders (atleast for this game) do not seem to work on my computer and that caused the lack of graphics as it just skipped anything it didn't require.

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:04 PM #49 Finally, some progress!

The only things a failed shader would cause is chunks out of walls, pits, and water. If there's a shader problem you should also be able to see it in the bladeslog, which for Windows can be found at "%APPDATA%\Blades of Exile" (just press Windows+R and paste that in). On the Mac version it'd be in Console.app somewhere.

Ir the Great Ir the Great

Citizen

• Member ID: 13,000
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:49 PM #50 Finally, some progress!

I downloaded a more recent version of yours. Shaders are still failing (checked log), but it looks much nicer. Graphics are not being cleared properly though (basically, everything that shows up never disappears.... might be a bug with SFML specific to certain computers).

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:39 PM #51 Finally, some progress!

I'm not sure what you mean about not being cleared properly - perhaps a screenshot might help me understand? In a certain sense the screen is never actually cleared, only drawn over, but since it's drawn over with that background pattern, there generally shouldn't be any artifacts left over...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users