stuck At the Gallows

Agnessa

I seem to have hit a wall here. I'm in the chapter investigating the disappearing mages and there is one that I don't seem to be able to trigger the event that will let me move on--the professor in Rune. In one walkthrough, it mentions talking to someone named Colbin, searching, then going back to Colbin ... well, I've talked to everyone in town, and no one is named Colbin, no one responds to questions about the school, Seth (name gotten from walkthrough), or disappearances. And apparently, unless I find something there, I'm going to be unable to move on.

Otherwise, I've been hugely enjoying myself since I found the modernized Blades of Exile.

Ugh... I would try to help you but I can't quite remember this one. I think it has something to do with disks and rope and a robot? I don't remember a Colbin... I do remember another guy you had to talk to, and having to wait 10+ days for him because of brokenness in the original BoE engine (which can be fixed by unchecking a compatibility option in CBoE, thankfully).

Let me see if I can remember.

- Have you talked to the hermit wizard guy yet, and gotten him to analyze the cuiniform tablets?

- Have you tried to talk to him again when he was supposed to be finished?

- Have you gone back to the old magery school and fought an escaped Efreet? (I forget if that's in the right order.)

And darn, I really need to get out that scenario and actually finish the thing some time. I promised myself I'd do that at some point, when I had the time... But I seem incapable of maintaining my motivation past the Troglo part. Grr.

The guy with the tablets, yes I did talk to him and he's analyzed the tablets (although I can't get those back yet, either), but he is finished with them. I don't especially recall an efreet when I went back (to get the tablets in the first place). The problem I've run into is that there are four that I was supposed to look into--the tablet wizard's apprentices (found them), someone in Malachite (found that), someone in the first city (found that), and the professor who disappeared during lunch in the school in Rune (there's my troubles).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I received your E-mail re this morning and decided that this was a better way to respond for all concerned; it just seems that any resolution would be best for all the BoE Community.

Shortly after joining BoE I ran into a problem with a Scenario and came to the Board for help. None was really forthcoming, but I was told that most of the original authors had left for "greener pastures". So, I put the Scenario aside and worked on easier ones until I became more proficient with them.

I'm not the traditional "Gamer"; I do not like the Imperialistic butchering of other peoples, places and things for personal gain. What I do like is to keep my mind and hands active. I've always been the "fix-it" type and enjoy the research, typing, etc. that it takes to make Walk-Throughs for these games, so I started a hobby in my retirement years doing just that.

I intended giving them all to 'Traci's True Site for Blades', but then felt that I would be betraying the Authors by doing so, even now that the upgraded "Classic Blades" exists. Some Scenarios contain "Secrets" that, at least, originally, would betray the Authors if they were freely open to everyone.

IIRC I became "stuck" in the same area that you are when I was doing ATG. I had just finished a complete Walk-Through, (with all the add-ons and corrections), of "Spy's Quest" which Brian, 'Stareye', advertises as the most difficult Scenario ever published in its intro.

Despite the fact that my responses can be a bit elaborate, I found Spy's Quest to be really tedious and, if I hadn't put so much into it, I would have "canned" it.

After doing a couple of other Walk-Throughs, I decided to give Brian another chance and began ATG. When I hit the point we're describing, I put the Scenario aside and decided to stay away from Brian's Scenarios.

I presume that the list of "older" players is getting quite small, so you may be in for a long wait for any assistance with this Scenario.

In the meantime, I can give you two means of assistance.

One is addresses, (quite old); they are: http://stareye08.tripod.com and bckiedrowski@students.wisc.edu andbckiedrowski@wisc.edu and bkiedrowski@coredcs.com and bkiedrowski@gmail.com. The first is the address of his website and the last one is the latest, (to my knowledge.

The other is that I will have another mug of coffee and go back to ATG and see if I can figure out what the problem is.

If/when I figure something out, I'll let you know

me.

Be advised that if you try, "Prelude", there are a couple of "Flaws" that will give you problems.

F.W.I.W. Three 'groups' of some best known Scenarios are:

The ten by Alcritas; a 5,000 year history of a 'World' of his design. Each Scenario is written in a differnt style and they all carry strong ethical messages. (Universally, the best of all the BoE Scenarios)

The three by Drizzt; 'The Foresaken', 'Brotherhood of the Hand' and 'Shadow of the Stranger.

The Adventures' Club Trilogy by Shy Guy; 'The Presence', 'The Asylum', and 'Retribution'.

They are all quality, enjoyable stories and should keep you busy and happy for a long time.

me

• 1 month later...

Hi again, finally...

I have several excuses, (dare I say, "reasons"), for taking so long, but I do have a couple of items you may appreciate.

First: I don't know how familiar you are with the BoE Editor, but times have changed and the new 'Classic' has changed numerous items bringing surprises when they are least expected.

I.I.R.C. In the original version, a "Rest", or "Wait" was 370 moves outdoors and 3700 moves indoors.

When you deliver the Tablets to Zarmond he tells you he wants to study them and that you should come back tomorrow and he should be complete. A 'Timer' counts 500 moves before things change. 500 moves @ 370 per day should make this a one day wait, but with the new, 'Classic' it took me three days.

He then tells you he's still not finished, to come back later. This time there is a 500 move counter and a 2,500 move counter. It took me TEN days of 'Resting' to complete this 'Wait'.

Finally, he will tell you that they provide no clues, you may be leaving now.

At this point, you should be able to access where he has hidden the Tablets and take them to have them analyzed.

I could not access the Tablets, but feel I will when I get back to the Scenario.

I've had to follow this Quest from the Imperial Palace through obtaining the Tablets to learn the following.

I don't know how much you understand about the BoE Editor, but to make NPC's appear, disappear and become something different, a 'Flag' (indicator), is used. It's called a "Life Flag" because when it equals "0", the NPC is 'Alive' and when it's set to '1' they're 'Dead'. (Actually they exist, or don't exist.)

When Astervis sends you on the mission to find out about the disappearing Mages, a Flag is set; (Flag 17, 8) to 1. This makes all the NPC's in Rune that use this Flag as a 'Life Flag', disappear because, as the mission states, Mages are disappearing and he needs you to learn why.

The problem, (FLAW), here is that the Author gave ALL the NPC's in Rune this same Flag but one of the NPC's has the conversation clues you need, (plus affecting a couple of other items.)

Hoping you understand what I've said here...

You need to REMOVE the 'Life Flag' for one of the NPC's so he's 'Alive' when you enter Rune.

FIRST: Create a "Game Save" before you go into Rune.

Now, You need to go into the Editor, to Town 38. You will see numerous Apprentices, a Wizard, two Mages and two Order Mages. 'Click' on the Order Mage in the Office at 19, 02, NOT the one in the Work Room above the Office. This NPC is named, 'Coblin' and is pers. 382. When you 'click' on the Icon, a 'window' should come up with some characteristics of the NPC. Next, 'Click' on the Bar titled, "Attributes". Another window should come up with more characteristics. On the bottom of this Window, you should see a few "Boxes" with numbers in them. If you read the text to the left of these boxes, you should understand why you need to REMOVE the '17' from the left box and the '8' from the right box and then place a '-1' in each of the boxes. Now, this version of Coblin will be alive when you enter Rune.

You can now leave these 'windows' and find yourself back in the School for Mages, in the Office with Coblin.

!!! STOP !!! Before you do anything else, "SAVE" the Scenario within the Editor.

I have modified the Scenario that I'm using and it seems to be working as it should. Well, I've only just begun re-playing it and still have to "Prove" the problem accessing the Tablets, but from all the searching, writing, etc. I think it will prove out, too. I could not access the Tablets initially because I needed to advance Game Flag 17, 3 one more peg and that happens after you've talked to Coblin.

Lastly...

I only posted this on the "Big Board" instead of an E-mail to you because I wanted it to be known for the Community to be able to Modify their copies of the Scenario should they have had this same problem in the past.

If you have any further problems, send me an E-mail or the Community will soon have me paying rent here. ;^}

Be Well,

me

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I received your E-mail re this morning and decided that this was a better way to respond for all concerned; it just seems that any resolution would be best for all the BoE Community.

Shortly after joining BoE I ran into a problem with a Scenario and came to the Board for help. None was really forthcoming, but I was told that most of the original authors had left for "greener pastures". So, I put the Scenario aside and worked on easier ones until I became more proficient with them.

I'm not the traditional "Gamer"; I do not like the Imperialistic butchering of other peoples, places and things for personal gain. What I do like is to keep my mind and hands active. I've always been the "fix-it" type and enjoy the research, typing, etc. that it takes to make Walk-Throughs for these games, so I started a hobby in my retirement years doing just that.

I intended giving them all to 'Traci's True Site for Blades', but then felt that I would be betraying the Authors by doing so, even now that the upgraded "Classic Blades" exists. Some Scenarios contain "Secrets" that, at least, originally, would betray the Authors if they were freely open to everyone.

IIRC I became "stuck" in the same area that you are when I was doing ATG. I had just finished a complete Walk-Through, (with all the add-ons and corrections), of "Spy's Quest" which Brian, 'Stareye', advertises as the most difficult Scenario ever published in its intro.

Despite the fact that my responses can be a bit elaborate, I found Spy's Quest to be really tedious and, if I hadn't put so much into it, I would have "canned" it.

After doing a couple of other Walk-Throughs, I decided to give Brian another chance and began ATG. When I hit the point we're describing, I put the Scenario aside and decided to stay away from Brian's Scenarios.

I presume that the list of "older" players is getting quite small, so you may be in for a long wait for any assistance with this Scenario.

In the meantime, I can give you two means of assistance.

One is addresses, (quite old); they are: http://stareye08.tripod.com and bckiedrowski@students.wisc.edu andbckiedrowski@wisc.edu and bkiedrowski@coredcs.com and bkiedrowski@gmail.com. The first is the address of his website and the last one is the latest, (to my knowledge.

The other is that I will have another mug of coffee and go back to ATG and see if I can figure out what the problem is.

If/when I figure something out, I'll let you know

me.

Had to comment on your "I"m not the traditional gamer..." thing. Let me guess, you're the sort who playing Diablo 2 says "Ugh, can't we talk about this? Do we have to fight every time?" :) Why are you playing a hack n slash game if you don't like hack n slash? I'd imagine there's pleanty of your kind of games in the world where you're not gearing up, seeking better gear n spells all designed to keep you alive, and do the opposite for you "political opposition." :)

If you don't like the sugar, fat, salt, and other bad-for-stuff, don't eat the junk food. :)

Had to comment on your "I"m not the traditional gamer..." thing. Let me guess, you're the sort who playing Diablo 2 says "Ugh, can't we talk about this? Do we have to fight every time?" :) Why are you playing a hack n slash game if you don't like hack n slash? I'd imagine there's pleanty of your kind of games in the world where you're not gearing up, seeking better gear n spells all designed to keep you alive, and do the opposite for you "political opposition." :)

If you don't like the sugar, fat, salt, and other bad-for-stuff, don't eat the junk food. :)

You may consider Blades of Exile a "hack and slash game", but that's not what it is to everyone. There are a number of well-regarded scenarios that feature no combat at all, or very little.

• 5 weeks later...

To the D.A. et al:

I fear my comment about my game preferences was misunderstood.

I love all the games. I'm 73, (Feb. '15), and have enjoyed them since our son(s) began playing them on a C'64, 'way back when.

What I was trying to say is that I prefer to play them, find "Flaws", and correct them.

I was/am an industrial electrician and, for most of my working years, was the guy who was called out in the middle of the night to fix "problems", sometimes in Control Panels equivalent to a board full of chips.

Correcting "Flaws" is now "second-nature", (usually).

PS. F.W.I.W. I am ETERNALLY grateful to all the people who worked on this "Classic" version of Blades.

TX, me