Question about a bird... (spoilers!)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
chinook chinook

Citizen

• Member ID: 4,847
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:47 PM #1 Question about a bird... (spoilers!)

I beat Nethergate: Resurrection a few years back (I beta tested the win version), and decided to replay it since I hadn't since then.  It's just as good as I remember, but I just spoke with the Raven.  Which culture has he failed?  Is it revealed later or just left a mystery?  My suspicion is some kind of Norse or Egyptian, but I'm not too good with my mythology/ancient religions.  :)

Thanks!

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:08 PM #2 Question about a bird... (spoilers!)

It isn't revealed, but Raven is a major god in North American Indian mythos.  Failure might be their lands being taken by the Spanish and later US settlers moving west.

In Norse myths there are two ravens that act as messengers for Odin.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

chinook chinook

Citizen

• 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:11 PM #3 Question about a bird... (spoilers!)

View PostRandomizer, on 20 March 2014 - 07:08 PM, said:

It isn't revealed, but Raven is a major god in North American Indian mythos.  Failure might be their lands being taken by the Spanish and later US settlers moving west.

In Norse myths there are two ravens that act as messengers for Odin.

Yeah, thanks!  I thought about the Native American angle, but since Boudica's rebellion was in the first century, I thought it was pretty unlikely.  Any other thoughts?

Triumph Triumph

Wrapped in Light

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 6,248
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:40 PM #4 Question about a bird... (spoilers!)

Yeah, I always understood Raven to be an allusion to Native American mythology. He speaks about future destruction for his people, so the first-century setting isn't a problem.

"Dikiyoba didn't know what to say for your negatives, Triumph. Dikiyoba supposes you must just be that awesome." - Dikiyoba
"Triumph == Santa Claus? This explains... nothing." - Dintiradan
"Per usual, Triumph said it better." - Slarty

chinook chinook

Citizen

• 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:42 PM #5 Question about a bird... (spoilers!)

Ahh, true.  Alright, I can at least continue on with the game now, haha. :)  Thanks guys.

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• Member ID: 10,154
  • 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:35 PM #6 Question about a bird... (spoilers!)

Based on the future destruction angle, than it probably is the North American Indian raven.  I tend to think of that Raven as the trickster, but it was the creator as well in that mythology.  Apollo had a raven that was similar to Odin's pair.  Irish mythology also had a goddess turn into a Raven, so it could refer to the fall of the ancient Irish culture as well.

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:00 PM #7 Question about a bird... (spoilers!)

This kind of stuff is really what makes Nethergate, for my, SW's best game. Lots of stuff is packed away in here, and quite a lot of it goes unexplained.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users