Barzite attacked a Barzite

I was walking around exploring the Barzite's Radiant College. I had high leadership so I convinced the woman greeter that I was allowed entry on Barzhal's orders.

There was a northwestern section that was allowed only to Barzites but I found two ways to get in, by going through the power generators or primary heat control center.

I went into combat mode and used speed on myself (I'm an Agent). Slowly I poked around the halls and when I turned towards the central complex, Burham was there ready to fight me. I didn't want to anger the Barzites yet and I wasn't strong enough to handle Burham and his patrolling golems so I hastily retreated back to the essence pools in the southwestern part of the College. After a while, I found that Burham was still chasing me but everyone else in the college is still friendly. Burham died to his own men and it was all my fault.

My question is, is it okay that he dies? I'm thinking he only matters if you join the Barzites but I really don't like the way the story panned out because IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

I'm thinking of going back to the part before I walked into Burham's laboratory.

But my question is, is this an error in the coding of an unforseen event?