Dintiradan

Hello denizens of Spiderweb! Have you ever dreamed about participating in spaceship combat, the kind you see on shows like Star Trek? Well, your dreams maybe become reality! Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator is a game we've played here before. If you're interested in playing a game sometime, highlight what times work for you. Each mission can be done in under an hour (we usually do a few a night). If you want more information on the game and how to set things up, check out this handy-dandy page.

Well, we have six people, enough to make a date. The best time for everyone ends up being January 28, 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM MST (that's January 29, 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM in Melbourne if I'm calculating things right). Hard to pick a time that works best for everyone, sorry. We can start a bit sooner and end a bit later, but we'll be losing people in either direction. Even if you aren't playing, spectators are always welcome. We'll get a livestream going, Sylae permitting.

The comment is still completely irrelevant. The goddess also doesn't belong in this topic, as any attempt at reading for context will reveal.

—Alorael, who likes Artemis missile launchers. But only the kind you start with on the Kestrel, not the two-power variants. And he really only uses missiles if he can't find any bombs.

We'll get a livestream going, Sylae permitting.

Sure! Hopefully with a secondary grtaphics card and not having to run a bloated-as-hell java daemon, it'll go better than it historically has.

No Mac :(

Try getting the demo off the website and seeing if Wine will work with it? I doubt it, but hey, who knows.

No Mac :(

Try getting the demo off the website and seeing if Wine will work with it? I doubt it, but hey, who knows.

I've never used Wine, but I've read that Artemis works with older versions of Wine, and certain newer versions of Wine don't support it. I don't know if the most recent version supports it or not. You'd have to check the Artemis forums and wiki to get the exact details.

Guys, I have some mines.

We could use mines.

We can run away and drop some mines.

Boy, I really love mines.

Well, mines are as powerful as nukes, and nukes are always hard to come by, so Insistent Iffy has a point. :p

I filled out the calendar, only to discover you've already picked a date. Got room for one more?

You'd be #7, but no worries, I see no difficulties arising from having two captains on the ship.

But seriously, extra people are welcome. We can take turns, or someone can GM a mission. And some people won't be available outside the two hour window. Alternately, we could run two ships, with crews of three and four (or three and three and one commodore). We'll have to set up extra Mumble channels if that's the case; things got a bit chaotic the last time we tried having two crews on one channel.

Of course, two ships with seven players means people will have to play multiple stations... a problem that can be averted if YOU sign up as well, reader!

44781651.jpg

We'll have to set up extra Mumble channels if that's the case; things got a bit chaotic the last time we tried having two crews on one channel.

Recommendation: Three channels: Adequate ship comms, Sufficient (?) ship comms, and a third inter-ship channel that only has the two Comms officers in it. That way, Comms has an extra duty besides taunts and "how many nukes?", plus it seems more "realistic" simulation-wise.

Re: Mac: http://artemiswiki.pbworks.com/w/page/43819518/How%20to%20run%20Artemis%20on%20the%20Mac (see the thing about PlayOnMac. Yay a thing!)

In other news, if we decide to go the Comms route with a "inter-ship comms" channel, I've figured out a kind of okay soolution. You can set it up so that when pushing a certain key your voice output only goes to a specific player. A quick pictures guide is available here (start with 1.png and work your way down)

c'mon dude, the first link in the first post starts with an explanation:

Artemis is a multiplayer, multi-computer networked game for Windows computers, and now IOS devices too.

Artemis simulates a spaceship bridge by networking several computers together. One computer runs the simulation and the “main screen”, while the others serve as workstations for the normal jobs a bridge officer might do, like Helm, Communication, Engineering, and Weapon Control. Artemis is a social game where several players are together in one room (“bridge”) , and while they all work together, one player plays the Captain, a person who sits in the middle, doesn’t have a workstation, and tells everyone what to do.

Artemis is a software game for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. It’s also an app for iPhones, iPads, and iPods, and is cross-compatible with the PC version.

• 3 weeks later...

And that's a wrap! Thanks to everyone who came out. There were some hiccups with the livestream, but I think our early mission(s) can be seen here? Probably with a lot of setting things up, I dunno.

And here's where you should click if you want to play during the month of February! We need more experience so our Helms officer doesn't keep warping us into the middle of enemy fleets.

Alright, so the dates that work best for everyone are Tuesday, February 4 and Tuesday, February 11, with six people able to make it between 7:00 PM and 9:00 PM (Feb. 5 and Feb. 12, 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM in Melbourne if my calculations are correct). Like before, we can play outside those bounds, but we lose people either way. So we'll keep it casual like last session: show up if you can, when you can, and we'll run missions whenever there's enough to crew a ship.

Again, if you're interested in playing, send me a PM and I'll give you installation instructions. Even if you don't want to play, we can always use another guest captain.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again, everyone. Fill in the dates/times that work for you to determine when we play for the month of March. Based on the feedback I've been hearing, more than one session a month is too much, so unless we get a flood of people asking for more, we're going to stick to one session for March.

• 7 months later...

It's been over half a year, and the people have spoken! They want more Artemis!

Well, some people have expressed interest in starting this up again. But in order to have a full crew, we need YOU! If you own a computer and microphone, and playing an officer on a spaceship bridge simulator is something that sounds cool to you, sign up here.

We now have enough players to crew a single ship, and the earliest possible time for a session is Friday, October 17th at 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM, MDT. We won't be able to go outside these bounds without losing someone, but two hour sessions is what we've done in the past, so let's stick with that. If that time doesn't work for someone, there are some later alternatives.

EDIT: And I got the download on my site working again. To get the most up-to-date version, download and install the 2.0 installer (message me if you need a username/password), then download and install the 2.1.1 patch.

And again, six is the minimum, but more people are welcome to join in.

Meant to post this yesterday but didn't get around to it: we've had a seventh person sign up who also can't make it on the 17th. The next two alternatives are Friday the 24th, any time from 3:00 PM to 9:00 PM MDT; and Saturday the 25th, any time from 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM MDT. So if everyone's okay with it, we can reschedule to one of those times to accommodate everyone. Speak up if you have a preference.

(Of course, playing on both weeks is a possibility, if people want.)

More players are still welcome; once we hit 8+ players, we can comfortably crew two ships. As it is, seven is enough for a full crew plus a game master. Time to see if the latest version has improved how GMing works...

Bump!

First off, session is rescheduled to Friday, October the 24th, from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM, MDT.

Secondly, I've been doing some experimenting with Mumble and VAC, and as it turns out, it's not too difficult setting up a second Mumble account to transmit audio from the server. Not only does this mean remote players can now hear everything that LAN players are supposed to (weapons! shields! engines! the oh-so-important red alert klaxon!), it means that playing third-party missions, especially missions with pre-recorded audio, is now a possibility. I dunno if we want to do a mission this session; it's been a while, and there are a few more options in the new version of Artemis that we might want to try out. But it's a possibility for the future.

Speaking of that new version, make sure you have Artemis version 2.1.1 installed. Get the EXE from my site, and the patch from the Artemis website. Only the server needs to install missions, so don't worry about that.

Triple post!

There's going to be a shakedown cruise this Wednesday (October 15th), from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM, MDT (ish). Don't feel obliged to attend this session, as it's a spur of the moment thing. But we have an eighth (!) person expressing interest, and we felt a practice session would help. So if you're a new player who wants to get acquainted with the game (or an old player who wants to get re-acquainted), this will be the perfect time. I can't say how much of it will be instruction and troubleshooting and how much of it will be actual missions, so we'll play it by ear.

(The session on the 24th is still on as planned.)

• 2 weeks later...

(Slightly less than) 48 hour warning for our Friday session (6:00 PM to 8:00PM, October 24, MDT)! Make sure you have Artemis 2.1.1 and Mumble ready by then!

Apologies to those who were disappointed by the lackluster session last week, but thanks to that session and some prep work the technical issues have (hopefully) been ironed out.

(I've made some minor updates to my Artemis resources page, including a few more video tutorials.)

It's worth noting, that due to a politically-motivated decision by Twitch several months ago, there are no longer any past broadcasts saved. Before everything was wiped, I thought I exported everything, but it looks like all I saved was one video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hmmOx_sMic&list=UUSsTzqsjWo6xzRaoWlriESw#t=2405 (that should seek you to where things start to happen).

Edited by sylae
i dunno why the title is in squiggle. sorry

Erm, that video is a recording of a group of Spiderwebbers playing the computer game Artemis. If you watch, you can see it's a spaceship bridge simulator. The different voices with 'confusing' tones are people who visit here - I heard Sylae and Dintiradan and Lilith, and I think Nalyd and Sarachim.will probably be there.