Geneforge 5 Graphical Glitch

Learned Noremac

I have been having a strange problem with Geneforge 5. A "square" of weird "static"(for lack of a better word) is visible behind every creation and person in the game. This is noticeable right from the intro screen, with the creations walking around on the stone tablet.

I am using a Mac OS X, Version 10.6.8. I previously used a "lesser" Mac OS(I think it was 10.5). I am not sure if switching to the new OS coincided with the problem, as I cannot remember precisely when I switched and I had not played the game in quite some time when retrying it and noticing this problem. However, I can be fairly sure that I never experienced the problem on the old OS(keeping in mind that there was a very long period when I did not play the game) and I have never not experienced the problem on the new OS.

I did not previously have this problem, so I assumed the file had become corrupted. So I have uninstalled and reinstalled Geneforge 5(from the Geneforge Series CD). This did not fix the problem. For the uninstall, I deleted the Geneforge 5 Folder, the Geneforge 5 Saved Games folder, and the Geneforge 5 Prefs file in the (hidden) Preferences folder.

I have tried restarting the computer after installing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. I have tried playing in different resolutions. I have tried playing both in window and out of window. I have tried changing the various options in Settings, including the one about "Draw All" and "Don't Draw". Nothing has helped.

I do not know if this is related, but I should also say that I, like many others, experienced the problem with the Geneforge 5 Installer from the CD wherein the Installer will not open because it claims that I need admin privileges, even though I am absolutely the admin. I fixed this problem by copying the Installer onto my computer and changing the file such that "Require Admin" or whatever is set to "FALSE" instead of "TRUE", as proscribed in the Tech Support forum. I don't know if this makes any difference.

Please help. I really do want to play through the game again--I only beat it with one of the factions.

Hey, can you check what version of Geneforge 5 you've got? I took a look at the "Updates and Support" page for the Mac version, and found this note:

When playing Geneforge 5 v1.0.3 or earlier on OS X version 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later, all of the creature graphics will be drawn incorrectly. To solve this problem, upgrade to the newest version (v1.0.4 or later).