In some games, I thought you could buy them, and sometimes could buy herbs, too.

It's been a while since I played A1, but I think you could buy them from Silverlocke, as I know you can do in A2.

I've heard if you buy out her entire stock that she restocks with knowledge brews, but that's a loooot of money- with the limit of 9k in A1 and the limit of 15k in A2 it still takes many, many trips.

http://homepages.uni...ernum/Avernum1/ claims that no Silverlocke or Knowledge potions.

I used ctrl+F for Silverlocke on that page and the first thing they mention is how Silverlocke sells Knowledge Potions.

I am currently playing A1 now. And I can confirm that Silverlocke does exist. I just recently spent 9000 gold buying here

knowledge brews. She's near Blosk on a big hill. Sadly, I probably won't be buying her stock to regenerate them. Apparently it was more money that I thought Lol.

Nooo kidding, lol...

If the 9k cap wasn't there it might be a different story but that's a loooot of trips.

What on earth are you talking about? If you do a find on that page for "Silverlocke," you get multiple references to Silverlocke's Knowledge Brews.

Not listed in sellers list.

Potion Sellers db-lt.gif db-up-t.gif db-dn-t.gif db-rt.gif Name, Town Items Price Bernie, Formello Energy, Invun. Potion slightly expensive Jenny, Cotra very basic, but a few Energy Potions expensive Glenda, Tower of Magi Energy Potion, Strength Elixir Eustice, Spire basic Garthass, Gnass Energy Potion, Haste Elixir, Invunerability Elixir slightly expensive

[/url] Potion Recipes db-lt.gif db-up-t.gif db-dn-t.gif db-rt.gif Name, Town Items Price Walner, Fort Duvno Hasting, Energy Potion slightly expensive Miles, Formello Strength Potion slightly expensive Aife, Fort Draco Healing Elixir slightly expensive Zathnia, Tower of Magi Balm of Life, Hasting Elixir slightly expensive Witch, Dharmon Energy Elixir, Strength Elixir, Protection Brew, Heroic Brew expensive Kai, Patrick's Tower Energy Elixir, Strength Elixir slightly expensive Erika, Erika's Tower Energy Potion, Restoration Brew, Protection Brew and Heroic Brew expensive

Not listed in sellers list.

Potion Sellers db-lt.gif db-up-t.gif db-dn-t.gif db-rt.gif Name, Town Items Price Bernie, Formello Energy, Invun. Potion slightly expensive Jenny, Cotra very basic, but a few Energy Potions expensive Glenda, Tower of Magi Energy Potion, Strength Elixir Eustice, Spire basic Garthass, Gnass Energy Potion, Haste Elixir, Invunerability Elixir slightly expensive

Potion Recipes db-lt.gif db-up-t.gif db-dn-t.gif db-rt.gif Name, Town Items Price Walner, Fort Duvno Hasting, Energy Potion slightly expensive Miles, Formello Strength Potion slightly expensive Aife, Fort Draco Healing Elixir slightly expensive Zathnia, Tower of Magi Balm of Life, Hasting Elixir slightly expensive Witch, Dharmon Energy Elixir, Strength Elixir, Protection Brew, Heroic Brew expensive Kai, Patrick's Tower Energy Elixir, Strength Elixir slightly expensive Erika, Erika's Tower Energy Potion, Restoration Brew, Protection Brew and Heroic Brew expensive

Hmm, it looks like that only mentions merchants who are in towns.

and that's where players search merchants 99/100 times.

Indeed! I've actually been surprised to find that non-town Merchants sometimes carry rare and valuable items.

Found a random merchant somewhere selling a bunch of Dragonfire Cloaks :D

I relearned that you need anti-fire equipment in Avernum.

Indeed! I've actually been surprised to find that non-town Merchants sometimes carry rare and valuable items.

Found a random merchant somewhere selling a bunch of Dragonfire Cloaks :D

I relearned that you need anti-fire equipment in Avernum.

I remember vaguely that cloak but not sure if I found enuf those or bought those or didn't need.

Wow, you guys are serious gamers. I enjoy the challenge of playing on Tough or Torment, but I think it takes way too much time to loot dungeons and sell the stuff, then go back and loot some more. I just use the character editor whenever I need cash.

—Vexivero, who is now a hypocrite. He, too, has participated in lootfests.

I suppose using the character editor for money would save time. But I found more joy and have a greater feeling of accomplishment when my adventures "earn" their money. I try to avoid the character editor if at all possible. That's not to say I didn't use it to reset boats a few times. Cant tell you how many times I left my boat on the southern part of slith lands and I was in the eastern cave. Or just plain out forgot where my boat was. Very useful feature. One that the avernum remake really lacks.

• 2 weeks later...

I rescind my previous statement. I just beat Avernum 2 on torment without using the character editor, and I have to say it was the most gratifying Spiderweb experience I've had.

Anyways, I plan on playing Avernum 3 pretty soon. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the shopper exploit at Fort Emergence. Whatever that guys name who used to take care of the Orb. If you sell items to him, he gets an unlimited supply of them. I played the demo for years and years, and would always sell knowledge brews, mind crystals, and research tomes to him (so I could boost my way to level 50 for that portal fortress quest). There's no such thing as excess money. I suppose it could take the fun out of the game, though, as you'll have a God Mode character eventually. Especially with the Resistance crystal.

—Vexivero, who enjoys many things. Trolling is a great hobby!

I rescind my previous statement. I just beat Avernum 2 on torment without using the character editor, and I have to say it was the most gratifying Spiderweb experience I've had.

Anyways, I plan on playing Avernum 3 pretty soon. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the shopper exploit at Fort Emergence. Whatever that guys name who used to take care of the Orb. If you sell items to him, he gets an unlimited supply of them. I played the demo for years and years, and would always sell knowledge brews, mind crystals, and research tomes to him (so I could boost my way to level 50 for that portal fortress quest). There's no such thing as excess money. I suppose it could take the fun out of the game, though, as you'll have a God Mode character eventually. Especially with the Resistance crystal.

I found out about that guy, and a bunch of others too.

Notably, the merchants in Gale are the best for it (anyone who can buy from you maintains an unlimited stock) since there are so many and some have fantastic prices.

Once you get decent potion-making, sell some herbs to someone and just continuously make potions that sell for more than the price of the herbs and voila, infinite money. Factor in the ability to make Knowledge Brews and you've won the game. :o

The funny thing is, with an herb merchant like the guy in Lost Isle(or w/e the name), you don't even need an infinite stock merchant since he restocks everything once you buy his entire stock. :D

I found out about that guy, and a bunch of others too.

Notably, the merchants in Gale are the best for it (anyone who can buy from you maintains an unlimited stock) since there are so many and some have fantastic prices.

Once you get decent potion-making, sell some herbs to someone and just continuously make potions that sell for more than the price of the herbs and voila, infinite money. Factor in the ability to make Knowledge Brews and you've won the game. :o

The funny thing is, with an herb merchant like the guy in Lost Isle(or w/e the name), you don't even need an infinite stock merchant since he restocks everything once you buy his entire stock. :D

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely be using them when I make an Avernum 3 run :)

I'll probably skip on the knowledge brews after a few tries, though. It does get a little boring when there's no threat of death on your part.

—Vexivero, who did not skip out on the knowledge brews. After all, knowledge is power.