How'd you come across Spiderweb?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic
Neb Neb

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 4,879
  • 516 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:32 PM #36 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

View PostA less presumptuous name., on 01 November 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

People like mysterious figures in hooded cloaks.

Posted Image
Calamity Refuge - Ligrev's Lounge - Spidwerweb Roleplay Wiki

(18:05:00) Trenton.: I would pay up to $3000 to live with Neb, my childhood, and current, hero.
(18:06:46) nikki: Well, I would pay up £1836.15, and I am not averse to living with Sy. Plus I have a better accent. Sorry, Trenton.

Geralt Geralt

Blademaster

• Member ID: 8,552
  • 960 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:45 PM #37 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

View PostA less presumptuous name., on 01 November 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

People like mysterious figures in hooded cloaks. Is it that surprising?

If the hood was the reason why you got attracted to the game, then yes.
------
-Nightwatcher

Indeed, naught is more repulsive than these monsters that defy nature and are known by the name of fluffy turtles, as they are the offspring of foul sorcery and witchcraft. Unscrupulous scoundrels without conscience and virtue, they are veritable creatures from hell, capable only of taking sanity...

-Monstrum, a portrayal of fluffy turtles

† Geralt of Nowhere †

~Witcher Turtler, professional monster hunter~

Luxor Rim Luxor Rim

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 819
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:14 AM #38 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

View PostTimmy, Power Gamer, on 30 October 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

Power Pete, Realmz, Exile 1+2, Odyssey (Legend of Nemesis), Darkwood 1+2, Wolfenstein, some shooters, Marathon 1+2+Infinity.

Good times.

I remember those games! well most of them any ways. It's quite nice that Marathon went open source and I think Odyssey is now freeware.
"Men can not create even a single fly, even if they all gathered for that purpose!"

*i *i

Keeper of Avadon

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 7
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:55 PM #39 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

Exile II was the first demo I played, and Exile III was the first one I bought, which was the summer of 1997. I played it from a floppy disk with demo software from a Mac computing magazine.

Your flower power is no match for my glower power!

Khoth Khoth

Post Navel Trauma ^_^

• Member ID: 66
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:13 PM #40 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

I came across demos of Exile and Realmz on a demo CD attached to some computer magazine, and bought Realmz. Later I saw the error of my ways, and bought Blades of Exile (the first spiderweb game I played more than the demo of)

Fedabiblio Fedabiblio

New Arrival

• Member ID: 10,229
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:33 PM #41 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

I am a hardcore fan of GOG.com, and I constantly go there looking for classic RPGs. At one point they had a sale on "indies" and I found a listing for something called Geneforge. I never played the demos, but I decided just to go ahead and take the plunge. I have been playing CRPGs since the 1980s, so I remember Ultima, The Magic Candle, Temple of Apshai, Zork, and so many other early adventures. Geneforge looked like a cross between these early RPGs and, to go even further back, tabletop role playing games.
It is that, but it is also much more. I'm glad I found Spiderweb, I have purchased the Geneforge and Avernum series, as well as Avadon 1 at this point. (I know myself too well, so I really am waiting to finish Avadon 1 before I buy Avadon 2, and I'm afraid if I buy it now I will spoil the story.)

Upon Mars. Upon Mars.

Tinkermage

• Member ID: 4,796
  • 784 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:11 AM #42 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

I first played Avernum 3 when I was a kid in year 3 or 4 something like in 2000 in "games and applications" mac CDrom. Then I played A2 and then A1. then we bought A3, A2, geneforge1, 2 and three and then we bought Nethergate resurrection. But we played the demos of the other games though. I loved every moment of it.

Loved spiderweb games ever since that day I played Avernum 1.
'...some people seem unaware that being squeamish about words can mean being blind to realities.'-Thomas Sowell

'there is no more evil thing in this present world than race prejudice;[...] It is a [...] intellectual confusion, to be fought against by all men of good intent, each in our dispersed modern manner doing his fragmentary, inestimable share.'-H.G.Wells, 14 February 1907.

Rod Serling on censorship: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8sT6nz7VUM
Fan-fic @: http://geneforgeremaker.webs.com/

springacres springacres

Watcher

• Member ID: 7,981
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:44 AM #43 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

View PostKordanor, on 28 October 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

Have to admit that Avadon was my first Spiderweb game. Also bought Avernum and Geneforge after that.But I have to admit that only Geneforge 5 starts to get bearable for me from these older games.
Avernum Escape from the Pit was one of the best CRPG experiences I had yet.
Mine too.  I prefer its more linear style of playing to A:EftP, myself, but to each his/her own.  I also have demos for several of the Geneforge and Avernum games, but the older graphics make them a bit tough for me to play just because they're not as visually engaging.
What is this "sanity" I keep hearing about?

"You just need to be patient.  That is all." - PC
"Because my patience is my best quality.  That, and my warm hugs." - Alcander

Rya.Reisender Rya.Reisender

Mercenary

• Member ID: 10,081
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:34 PM #44 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

I was never really a fan of WRPGs, only played JRPGs for a long time. One day a friend suggested me Avernum (I listed some features I'd like to see in games, but I don't remember which ones exactly anymore). I checked it and the graphics didn't really appeal to me at all and $20 for an indie game seemed way overpriced for me (I was used to them not costing more than $5), so I didn't buy it.

When the Spiderweb Humble Bundle came, I thought hard about it. The too expensive reason was no longer there so it's just the question if a WRPG is something for me and if I could get used to the graphics. It was pretty much a last minute decision, I paid a bit above average and got the bundle. Then I played Avernum EftP. It took me a bit to get used to it (I almost wanted to quit already), but once I got this amazing sense of immersion and freedom, I really started to get addicted.

Juan Carlo Juan Carlo

Shaman

• Member ID: 8,051
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:55 AM #45 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

I'm severely uncool.  I didn't know what Spiderweb was until they released Avadon 1 on steam back in 2011.  I made up for lost time after that, though, as during the past two years I've beaten Avadon 1 and 2, Avernum 4-6, Escape From the Pit, and Geneforge 1-5 all on torment.  There's just something about these games that's like crack to me.  Even the one's I didn't particularly like (Avernum 4 and 5, mostly), kind of sucked me in via the OCD, insect-like, need to gather more loot and level up just one more time.

That said. I am a bit Spiderwebbed out for the moment.  Once I finally get around to beating Nethergate which is the last unfinished SW game in my steam catalog, playing at a rate of 1 new game per year will be a welcome change of pace.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 14,447 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:23 AM #46 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

View PostJuan Carlo, on 18 November 2013 - 05:55 AM, said:

There's just something about these games that's like crack to me.  Even the one's I didn't particularly like (Avernum 4 and 5, mostly), kind of sucked me in via the OCD, insect-like, need to gather more loot and level up just one more time.
Jeff will be excited.  It worked.  He mentioned it in his blog, that game designers want to make you keep coming back to the game to get just one more level, and then another.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

Juan Carlo Juan Carlo

Shaman

• Member ID: 8,051
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:15 AM #47 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

View PostRandomizer, on 18 November 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

Jeff will be excited.  It worked.  He mentioned it in his blog, that game designers want to make you keep coming back to the game to get just one more level, and then another.

Well, the virtue of Spiderweb games is that they end.  Part of the reason I've deliberately avoided playing MMO's all these years is that I see them as being potentially life destroying time sucks as the grind is never ending.  I don't mind being taken in by psychological manipulation provided that said manipulation has an end point (and RPGs, with their leveling up and rewards that keep you playing are very much a form of psychological manipulation, or, in the least, digital skinner boxes).  At one of my former jobs there was a group of WOW fanatics who did nothing but talk about WOW at work and play WOW in their free time.  Hanging out with them was almost like hanging out with a cult.  It was kind of creepy and made them really tedious to be around by, enough so that it kind of put me off MMO's forever.

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Shaman

• Member ID: 10,154
  • 364 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:25 AM #48 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

I too stay away from MMOs as I already spend too much time on the computer with games that end.  I also stay away from games where you have to buy additional content/power-ups, etc.  I am not completely consistent in that I do buy scenarios and map expansions, but I look at them as options, and something that I can enjoy the game without.  It seems from the comments that it is unlikely that Jeff will do a new Blades game.  I wonder if having a business model of a set price for the game and basic scenario and then selling additional scenarios for $2-4 each (half going to SW and half to the scenario developer) would make Blades viable?

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 18,700 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:38 AM #49 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

View PostEdgwyn, on 19 November 2013 - 01:25 AM, said:

I too stay away from MMOs as I already spend too much time on the computer with games that end.  I also stay away from games where you have to buy additional content/power-ups, etc.  I am not completely consistent in that I do buy scenarios and map expansions, but I look at them as options, and something that I can enjoy the game without.  It seems from the comments that it is unlikely that Jeff will do a new Blades game.  I wonder if having a business model of a set price for the game and basic scenario and then selling additional scenarios for $2-4 each (half going to SW and half to the scenario developer) would make Blades viable?

I seriously doubt Jeff wants to deal with the possible financial and legal headaches that running a service like that would bring.

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Shaman

• Member ID: 10,154
  • 364 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:53 AM #50 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

Probably not, which is unfortunate.  The replay value of a system like Blades is much higher than they typical CRPG due to the ability to play multiple scenarios, just like in paper RPGs.  But the Blades system has to sell enough to make it worth Jeff's time.

Mercenary

• 81 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:25 AM #51 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

The trick about MMOs is to play them for the path rather than playing for the goal. Don't enjoy the path? Don't play them.

Khoth Khoth

Post Navel Trauma ^_^

• Member ID: 66
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:49 AM #52 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

View PostLilith, on 19 November 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

I seriously doubt Jeff wants to deal with the possible financial and legal headaches that running a service like that would bring.
Yeah, he decided there were too many headaches with even just letting people charge for scenarios. Actually getting involved in situation himself would be a million times worse.

Supersized American Dreams Supersized American Dreams

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 21,768 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:51 PM #53 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

For comparison, roughly contemporaneously with BoE there existed Divinity/Divine Right, the Realmz scenario editor/player. Realmz was really in the same niche; it was always a lot rougher around the edges, but it was scenario-based in its basic engine. Fantasoft, its maker, decided to let and even encourage people to charge registration fees for their Divinity scenarios.

Divinity was also far harder to use than BoE, and I don't know if Realmz was more or less popular. Still, as best I can tell, Divinity produced somewhere around a dozen scenarios, most of which probably were not played by more than a handful of people because willigness to pay for third-party content is and largely has been almost nil.

—Alorael, who has used a lot of words to say that the business model seems built for failure even if the headaches didn't exist. BoE's popularity can be attributed in large part to the massive bank of good and free scenarios.

rist rist

Citizen

• Member ID: 6,471
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:41 AM #54 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

~8 years ago, my brother's girlfriend gave him a pirate CD that contained A1-3 and G1-3. I booted them up and was surprised that I'd never heard of them before, they were really good indie titles.

I've gradually legally reacquired almost all the titles from my pirating days - the Spiderweb Humble gave me an easy opportunity to finish off my Vogel RPGs.

Heart'n'Love Heart'n'Love

Mercenary

• Member ID: 10,327
  • 76 posts
  • LocationAvadon

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:28 PM #55 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

I came years after I bought games from Reflexive (it was still good site before) Once I saw Spiderweb name I typed it into google and here I am. But I was only reading topics since I didn't have time for registering :)
* Love is one reason to live *
* You're gonna catch me if I fall down... - Lyric from Parachute - Cheryl Cole

* We can just run them red lights... - Lyric from Red lights - Tiesto *
* I hear the voices when I'm dreaming... - Lyric from Carry on wayward son - Kansas *

http://31.media.tumb...fjhl0o9_500.gif

MMXPERT-seraph of thermodynamics MMXPERT-seraph of thermodynamics

Sorcerer

• Member ID: 7,780
  • 641 posts
  • LocationMars, Cydonia, 40.74 N, 9.46 W

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:01 PM #56 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

>Googled "shaper"
>noticed hooded guy
>checked everything about him and his origins
>played all the geneforge games
>became attached to geneforge 3
>played all the non-geneforge games
>joined forums
After many months of excruciating training, I've finally taught my dog how to say it's own name.

Amazing sir, can you please explain how you managed this incredible feat?

Its name is Woof.

Mercenary

• 81 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:53 AM #57 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

Why did you google shaper?

MMXPERT-seraph of thermodynamics MMXPERT-seraph of thermodynamics

Sorcerer

• Member ID: 7,780
  • 641 posts
  • LocationMars, Cydonia, 40.74 N, 9.46 W

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:48 AM #58 How'd you come across Spiderweb?

Posted Image
After many months of excruciating training, I've finally taught my dog how to say it's own name.

Amazing sir, can you please explain how you managed this incredible feat?

Its name is Woof.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users