Avadon 1 in Linux Mint 15 64-Bit Issues

Battlescared

Hi,

I recently posted this over on the Steam forums (link below), but so far have not gotten an answer. I also sent an email to Valve, but the answer I got back was that I have to go to you to support, while looking through here, it seems you don't support the Linux version. I could use some guidance please. I seem to be in the proverbial runaround and not too happy about it. Here's the link:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/112100/discussions/0/810938082512178474/

I purchased Avadon 1 over the weekend and so far have not been able to play it. I could play it on my WIndows box, but hey, this is Steam, and the future is Linux, right? So the task here is to get it to work on my Linux box. There's no reason a 2D sprite based game shouldn't play on Wine, but I don't seem to be able to get past the resolution selection, and trying to run it from the command line only gives me a message that steam is required.

v/r

Mark

Well, no luck so far. I seriously regret purchasing this through Steam and Valve. They are useless in helping. I've gotten no reply except one from Valve saying it's not their problem. I'm not sure what is worse at this point, Valve/Steam or Microsoft. I have a solo player game I can't play without being logged into Steam.

Recommend to anyone considering this game to purchase from Spiderweb direct and cut Valve out till they get their act together.

BTW, did decide to play it on my Windows box. Good game. Enjoying to very much so far.

I'll take that as a no.

I hate to be a broken record, but there are no less than 4 entities involved in this port to Linux, and not a single one of them will step up and do anything. This has been the problem with gaming in Linux for years now. If you're planning on Valve being your solution to future gaming and hitting that big market, you might want to think again. Valve is betting a lot on the Linux platform for their future, but the same core issue remains, no one wants to support the gaming environment that comes with it. If Valve thinks their going to just make a SteamOS and the whole Linux community is going to jump on it and their DRM gaming practice, they are in serious denial about where they are going and who they're going there with. The Linux community will not support it if there isn't good faith support in return.

Sorry for the rant. I'll quit now, and in the future, I will buy directly from you. Heck with Valve.