• Announcements

• Attribute to Valor

Logging in   05/10/2017

If you had an account and can't log in as of 5/9/17, this may be because of a change in logins with new forum software. You can log in using your publicly displayed name (not your username) or your email address and the password you used before.   If you have problems with this, please ask any of the mods or admins. 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stranger

Starting Character and Recruit Stats

9 posts in this topic

I have been playing N:R again, and I was looking for this information and couldn't find it. So I took these screenshots of the starting characters' stats of both sides, and of the recruitable npcs to in order to maximize the strength of my party.

Celts:

hq8t.png

Romans:

es8v.png

The best choice for starting characters is four of Edana if you are Celt, and four of Aulus if you are Roman. The extra barter is a great boost.

In case you don't know, when you create a new character, the slot it is created in determines the stats and traits of the character. So for example, if you are a Celt, you can replace Bruce in slot 1 (I recommend it, he is awful) with a second Edana from slot 3 by switching their order using the green and red arrows, deleting Bruce from the use ability menu, and then creating a new character from the file menu. Since it is Edana's slot 3 which is now empty, a new Edana is created. You can repeat this method to create four of a single character.

In choosing Edana over Gordon you are choosing 2 Barter over 5 Skill Points, the latter would strike me as more valuable because they can't be bought. 2 in Barter does not cost that much.

If you're planning on buying skills, those two levels of barter could come in handy. :p

You can buy one level each in Nethergate for 40 coins, from Bituitus. It seems that it is a party skill, description says the more of this skill in your party the better.

You seemed to imply that you can buy 8 levels, which is incorrect.

Edit:

Default selling rate is 25%. Each point in Barter increases this by 3%, so at 4 levels it is 37%, and at 8 levels it is 49%.

For a 4 character party, the tradeoff for 12% extra Barter is 20 skill points for Celts and 12 points for Romans.

12% on everything sold adds up to far more than 20 skill points in training in my playthroughs.

However a singleton will want to choose Gordon for Celt and Publius for Roman.

One thing that may help less experienced players is to start the Celt game with the Spirit Ceremony spell. It is just the thing for a party that is in bad shape due to hp loss, poison and disease. Pity it can't be cast in combat.

This idea requires you to have one Druid who has 3 in Druidism and all five of the Spell Circles, it leaves him/her with no points for anything except 4 Intelligence. I have found it useful. An Endurance of 1 is not too troublesome if the Druid stays out of melee.