Starting Character and Recruit Stats

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
stranger stranger

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 1,084
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:59 AM #1 Starting Character and Recruit Stats

I have been playing N:R again, and I was looking for this information and couldn't find it.  So I took these screenshots of the starting characters' stats of both sides, and of the recruitable npcs to in order to maximize the strength of my party.
Celts:
Posted Image
Romans:
Posted Image

The best choice for starting characters is four of Edana if you are Celt, and four of Aulus if you are Roman.  The extra barter is a great boost.
In case you don't know, when you create a new character, the slot it is created in determines the stats and traits of the character.  So for example, if you are a Celt, you can replace Bruce in slot 1 (I recommend it, he is awful) with a second Edana from slot 3 by switching their order using the green and red arrows, deleting Bruce from the use ability menu, and then creating a new character from the file menu.  Since it is Edana's slot 3 which is now empty, a new Edana is created.  You can repeat this method to create four of a single character.

stranger stranger

Hand of Avadon

• 1,291 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:20 AM #2 Starting Character and Recruit Stats

Recruits:
Posted Image

I believe that this info is correct.

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:26 PM #3 Starting Character and Recruit Stats

Awesome.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,773
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:58 PM #4 Starting Character and Recruit Stats

In choosing Edana over Gordon you are choosing 2 Barter over 5 Skill Points, the latter would strike me as more valuable because they can't be bought. 2 in Barter does not cost that much.

stranger stranger

Hand of Avadon

• 1,291 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:18 PM #5 Starting Character and Recruit Stats

Go ahead and try to buy 2 levels in barter, then get back to me.

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:31 PM #6 Starting Character and Recruit Stats

If you're planning on buying skills, those two levels of barter could come in handy. :p
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:30 AM #7 Starting Character and Recruit Stats

You can buy one level each in Nethergate for 40 coins, from Bituitus. It seems that it is a party skill, description says the more of this skill in your party the better.

stranger stranger

Hand of Avadon

• 1,291 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:09 AM #8 Starting Character and Recruit Stats

You seemed to imply that you can buy 8 levels, which is incorrect.

Edit:

Default selling rate is 25%.  Each point in Barter increases this by 3%, so at 4 levels it is 37%, and at 8 levels it is 49%.
For a 4 character party, the tradeoff for 12% extra Barter is 20 skill points for Celts and 12 points for Romans.
12% on everything sold adds up to far more than 20 skill points in training in my playthroughs.

However a singleton will want to choose Gordon for Celt and Publius for Roman.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:31 PM #9 Starting Character and Recruit Stats

One thing that may help less experienced players is to start the Celt game with the Spirit Ceremony spell. It is just the thing for a party that is in bad shape due to hp loss, poison and disease. Pity it can't be cast in combat.
This idea requires you to have one Druid who has 3 in Druidism and all five of the Spell Circles, it leaves him/her with no points for anything except 4 Intelligence. I have found it useful. An Endurance of 1 is not too troublesome if the Druid stays out of melee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users