Delete all your games, Destroy uneeded consoles

Death Knight

Well that's it then isn't it? It would seem that there are still sane people making my favorite games out there. Project Eternity is where its at. My favorite games would definitely be the isometric real time with pause games like Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate and even a little Icewind Dale. You get to control a party, pause at any time and give orders. Make a smaller party with more pressure or bigger party with more intensity. When that comes out in 2014 prepare a sledgehammer for your old computer with Dragon Age, Mass Effect and other garbage out the window. Ok maybe that's overdoing it but still the point is driven home. As soon as that comes out all other turnbased games I play except Spiderweb are going out the window.

I can haz hyberboles, plz? kthxbai

Triumph, that is the worst post ever written in the entire history of human existence. If ten million monkeys hammered away at typewriters for an eternity, they still couldn't produce a post so terribly, horrifyingly, gut-wrenchingly, vomit-inducingly awful. Reading that post made my eyes bleed so severely that I passed out and eventually died from blood loss. And then I died two more times because the sheer stupidity of that post made my brain melt and head explode. Writing that post makes you more evil than Satan, Hitler, and Cruella de Vil combined. Triumph, you should be so ashamed that you should crawl into a snake hibernaculum and never, ever come out again.

Dikiyoba could spend weeks detailing all the ways that post is a lexical, intellectual, aesthetic, personal, moral, cultural, financial, anatomical, and equilateral failure, but the awfulness of that post just broke Dikiyoba's computer into a billion fiery pieces.

Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights, Vampire Redemption, Kotor 1 and 2 and Spiderweb are staying. Everything else goes bye as I find that I just don't get into most turnbased rpgs anymore. As soon as Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition came out, turnbased games are really hard to play now unless I really like them which in many cases I don't. I wish I could say why Im not really into them anymore. (Bg3, Project Eternity). This is like when they burned books in Germany :mad: Well, actually no as Im not really burning anything. Just deleting, and double deleting. And turning off the computer. Then waking up turning it back on.

That's a lot of weight to put on a single game that hasn't actually come out yet. Particularly when the team responsible has been responsible for a lot of ambitious but deeply flawed games before. It might be great, but there's hardly any greatness in evidence yet. Torment: Tides of Numenera is also in the running for reviving genre.

—Alorael, who personally still gets plenty of enjoyment from Dragon Age (which is, uh, real time with pause), Mass Effect, and other games. And he's never loved NWN or Icewind Dale. This thread is certainly fervent, but it's fervent about not just personal taste but hypothetical personal taste.

That's a lot of weight to put on a single game that hasn't actually come out yet. Particularly when the team responsible has been responsible for a lot of ambitious but deeply flawed games before. It might be great, but there's hardly any greatness in evidence yet. Torment: Tides of Numenera is also in the running for reviving genre.

—Alorael, who personally still gets plenty of enjoyment from Dragon Age (which is, uh, real time with pause), Mass Effect, and other games. And he's never loved NWN or Icewind Dale. This thread is certainly fervent, but it's fervent about not just personal taste but hypothetical personal taste.

I would play Dragon Age, if a regular computer could play it. I find that thats the only reason I haven't dug into it yet. As for Mass Effect, I don't play first person shooters and don't like rpgs that try and somewhat play at being a first person shooter. Also first person just is flat out lame. Its not convenient with the controls like the other games. I don't think Ive had 1 good experience from a 1st person game and Gothic series didn't do much to help that.

Jade Empire was alright and I liked it for the most part. Still no Kotor 1 though. Tides of Numera is another good choice and I forgot about that.

Eternity said in their info that they are making specs much less than usual games now. Im gonna laugh if my computer can play Eternity just fine (2014) while Dragon Age 1 still wont play on my computer.

Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights, Vampire Redemption, Kotor 1 and 2 and Spiderweb are staying. Everything else goes bye as I find that I just don't get into most turnbased rpgs anymore. As soon as Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition came out, turnbased games are really hard to play now unless I really like them which in many cases I don't. I wish I could say why Im not really into them anymore. (Bg3, Project Eternity). This is like when they burned books in Germany :mad: Well, actually no as Im not really burning anything. Just deleting, and double deleting. And turning off the computer. Then waking up turning it back on.

KOTOR I & II are two of my favorite games! Have you played them with some of the player created mods?

http://knightsoftheo....filefront.com/

This site has so many great mods that have enhanced the gameplay for me.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned any Elder Scrolls games. I lost a lot of life to Morrowind and Skyrim. I've logged a ton of hours playing Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Borderlands I & II as well.

—Vexivero, who also likes Mass Effect, and other games...

I tried the Elder Scrolls but in 3rd person mode you can melee the main boss 5-10 levels before you are supposed to with the right gear. If I tried doing that with Avernum I would die horribly horribly. I don't know-Im used to getting destroyed in games I play, when I dont get destroyed I'm doing something wrong. Horribly wrong.

3rd person works sometimes but as long as it doesn't switch back to 1st person. I don't mind Vampire Bloodlines only because there are actually choices in game and combat is challenging. You can get destroyed if you don't play battles the right way. Instead of take out the mage, its take down the melee guy!

I hope the new isometric crpgs have specs somewhat on par with the older ones, I don't intend to be in a position where I have to choose between updating my laptop and not playing the game, because playing the game will lose. Personally, I'd love it if the just went back to making Infinity engine crpgs based off of the Icewind Dale 2 system-(none of that 4th edition garbage-rulewise or spellplague!) If developers just did that, I would be infinitely happy. Hopefully Eternity and Torment are as good as is hoped to alleviate the lack of such games.

As for Mass Effect, I don't play first person shooters and don't like rpgs that try and somewhat play at being a first person shooter. Also first person just is flat out lame. Its not convenient with the controls like the other games. I don't think Ive had 1 good experience from a 1st person game and Gothic series didn't do much to help that.

Mass Effect is in third-person. And the first one is way more of an RPG than a shooter. The second and third are way more shooters than RPGs. They're also a lot stupider.

It seems like a lot of the complaints you're leveling against modern RPGs come from a place of really liking character stats and not so much liking skill or preparation or other ways of resolving gameplay. Which, well, fine.

I've never been able to stomach the old Infinity Engine games that are supposedly the foundation of the entire RPG genre. I get why they were popular at the time, but in hindsight, they're just really clunky, archaic games with cliche-ridden, genre schlock plots. PS:T is the notable exception to the plot part, but it makes up for it by having extra clunky and archaic gameplay.

NWN and NWN 2 are pretty much in the same boat, just slightly updated. Or not slightly, really - they did move to a 3D engine, after all, but it's still a long ways from being something I'd call good gameplay.

Vampire: Redemption has the distinction of being the worst Vampire: The Masquerade game ever made, out of the two that were ever made. :p Bloodlines is really something spectacular, in the KotOR 2 "terribly flawed and often completely broken but the genius shines through" kind of way, though less so. KotOR 1 was solid, and it was at least, y'know, finished, but I've always found it to stay pretty squarely in okay to pretty good territory, while KotOR 2 is probably my favorite piece of Star Wars that's ever been made.

I like games where picking stats is more prevalent. The reasoning is that you slowly watch your character go from weak to ok to strong to really hard to kill. Its like watching someone's future unfold. As you said, Bloodlines is something I will eventually like to complete at least once. I always mid game. Kotor 1 I completed twice and it was awesome. Kotor 2 I haven't completed yet but will eventually.

A lot of Mass Effect 1's problem came from a few things. I was not able to understand the tactics in the games with buffs and what not. Coupled with my poor ability to maneuver around with guns. Im not completely opposed to shooters so long as I understand what to do. In this case I don't. On top of that I always got stuck around the facility in mid game and I got lost. And finally the xbox 360 would crash all the time with all my games and I eventually got 2 red ring of deaths. The story was good I think as were the characters.

If I could play it on my mac I would give it a try but I doubt that is possible with the high tech specs. So again, the specs are laughing at me. So yes, one of the things I like about the older games is that they ACTUALLY are not as much of a pain step by step process to play/get to play.

Im sure there are a lot of ok/good games out there I haven't played, but the process of getting them to work on a console/computer is $600 or more. And even then they might crash on console. And losing that amount of money is not something I will do lightly.

As for Mass Effect, I don't play first person shooters and don't like rpgs that try and somewhat play at being a first person shooter. Also first person just is flat out lame.

Again, you're starting with a reasonable personal preference and then going somewhere unnecessarily hostile. You don't have to like first-person shooters. I don't like first-person shooters. I don't think I've ever finished one. First person games in general give my total lack of a sense of direction real trouble; somehow even 3rd person 3D is easier for me to navigate.

But I still love Mass Effect. You don't have to, of course. It's not for everyone; nothing is to everyone's taste. But calling it categorically "flat out lame" is an unhelpful statement.

—Alorael, who finds this stranger because Mass Effect 1 is all about leveling up and choosing to allocate the points you get from gaining levels. Except for the shootery aspects it seems like it should be right up your alley. Too bad.

My biggest gripe and definite weakness has been trimmed to one thing Alorael. I start a game-Im siked, enjoying the story, the characters, then it comes to combat which starts all at once. When combat is simplistic even if I don't like the game as much, I will still stick around I guess. With Mass effect-I had the odds stacked way against me on this one. Although I still shouldn't hate on them which your right.

I bought the system and was eager to play as after all bioware was my favorite developer. As soon as I got the system the game wouldn't read. I was having major trouble with combat and the game would crash when I did something right for once. I took the game back to the store 5 times and exchanged for brand new ones and it would do same.

I bought another system 4 years later and turned in 3 games with the same problem. From there, I just kind of figured that console had lost any credibility. I stopped thinking of playing Dragon Age 1 and then 2 as computers are too expensive to get for the game and the right specs is even trickier.

I'll admit I shouldn't hate but post 2004, I can't say that a game came out I played that I did like. I'd give it a second chance but only if I get another computer or mac down the line.

I also have a hard time understanding how anyone could like Mass Effect at all. It's so boring.

Mass Effect 1 puts you in a huge town right at the start with hundreds of sidequests to do which are all incredibly boring and involve no action at all. If you survive those tedious 6 hours and the real game actually starts it's a bit better, though. Still feels mostly linear rather than the promised open world exploration. Side planets usually are just empty or involve finding a small base with rebels, but nothing really with a story or anything.

Mass Effect 2 is even worse. That whole mining for resources is really really really tiresome, also the game is so incredibly predicting... just... get party members. That's what the whole is about. Fly to a planet, get party member, select next planet. Also that game has limited ammunition and is more like a shooter rather than an RPG, I really hated this game from the bottom of my heart. It's in the top 10 of my most hated games.

Mass Effect 3 I didn't even bother to get.

I also share the same sentiment that RPGs lately have been pretty much garbage. The only exceptions are smaller Indie RPGs that occasionally surprise me with how good they are (despite often being free!).

KOTOR I & II are two of my favorite games! Have you played them with some of the player created mods?

http://knightsoftheo....filefront.com/

This site has so many great mods that have enhanced the gameplay for me.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned any Elder Scrolls games. I lost a lot of life to Morrowind and Skyrim. I've logged a ton of hours playing Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Borderlands I & II as well.

Agree Level: -over9000x -----> x=over 9000

Plus, I took Revan's name :p

-----

-Nightwatcher