Modded Minecraft Server

Actaeon

People of Spiderweb, I come bearing good tidings!

The residents of the glorious realm of Sopris invite you to join them! This is no vanilla server, I assure you. The custom modpack lovingly arranged by Sy and Neb will expand your horizons- without going overboard. You won't see Tekkit-level tech, but you'll delight in Mystcraft, The Twilight Forest, Highlands, and much more.

To visit this beautifully balanced world, start with a Minecraftor Mojang account.

Don't bother downloading the app itself, though, for Technic Launcher will be your portal.

Once you have launched the launcher, you can click on "add new pack" and paste this URL.

Sign in with your mojang or minecraft account, click on multiplayer, then "add new server": ir.calref.net:25565

Soon, you will be cavorting with a host of your Spiderweb comrades!

If you have questions or are overwhelmed, there's a forum, and you can bring it up in chat, so long as you spare the non-Minecrafting Refugi from hours of discussion.

Calref forum, chat, and server are not necessarily family friendly.

If your mobs show up as ponies, you can contact another non-brony player and we will instruct you on how to deactivate that mod.

Edited by drone riots
fixed server url, this one works with IPv6 correctly

Calref forum, chat, and server are not necessarily family friendly.

This so much. However, one of the chat rules (and also sort of server chat rules) is that if someone requests family-friendliness it should happen. Also if someone makes a glowstone phallus we'll probably ask you to take it down.

If your mobs show up as ponies, you can contact another non-brony player and we will instruct you on how to deactivate that mod.

tl;dr: be in-game, hit F7, there's a pony mobs tab at the top, toggle all the options there, then restart the game.

Edited by drone riots
for the record im a brony player so its prolly all lies

As a reminder, the Sopris server is not a hugelarge minecraft server, and if you steal things we will, in fact, notice things are missing. Especially when you try to start a conversation with an op about stealing things. Sorry MMXPERT, but you might have actually gotten away with it if you didn't go "Officer, how would I go about robbing that bank". Thanks for stress-testing our worldguard system though!

In lighter news, the end dragon was a blast, I wish i'd gotten screenshots of the actual event but I just have a stairs pic like grimm's, in Quake Pro: http://cdn.calref.net/sylae/images/misc/d973f488.png

Just for the record, i robbed nothing. Thanks for your crap though.

edit: the very fact that you consider me..or anyone stupid enough to talk about robbing things and actually rob them, says something about you.

There are logs of you talking about it, and there is sufficient evidence. Even with that though, another big factor has been your attitude. No one is going to take you seriously when you're reacting like this when you're clearly in the wrong. So please, quit trying to stir up pointless drama.

Sopris is generally a very friendly server. That, of course, changes when you blatently steal and otherwise act not so friendly.

I thought Minecraft was like a giant Lego world where you built stuff. Does it have an RPG-ish mode or something too?

Yes, Triumph. The most popular mode of Minecraft is called Survival, it adds a lot of RPG elements like hostile enemies (known as mobs), health, a need to eat, and other things. In addition you no longer get an unlimited inventory of everything, and either have to find, make, or trade for materials and goods.

Edited by drone riots
in sopris, you also have to watch out for angels

If you have a good explanation for why 64 tropical drones were in your dwelling within your first five hours of gameplay the same day someone reported them missing, I'd be open to hearing it. Aside from that, you already admitted to theft once. And for god sake, you're arguing with people, one of whom, does nothing but have the console open all day. The text log of everything that occurs on the server. The console takes no sides, it only has information. So until revolutionary new information arises, this is closed.

In any event, let's not set the tone for the server based on this incident. We have a dozen happy players, and space for many more. These other players are all open to helping you get started in the game and do whatever adventures you lot can come up with. Just be polite and don't take their stuff. Remember, the update thread might have some of the information you're looking for with regards to using the economy, for example.

The nature of this server is primarily an aesthetic server. People build things for the architectural value, so their buildings are pretty important to them. Similarly, we've tried to incorporate a number of mods that helps that effort. Things around here aren't intended for intense competition (although we're working on a few minigames and we can schedule time for so it doesn't get dull). Games aren't supposed to stress you out after all, so let's chill out and move it on.

That is all.

As a reminder, the Sopris server is not a hugelarge minecraft server, and if you steal things we will, in fact, notice things are missing. Especially when you try to start a conversation with an op about stealing things. Sorry MMXPERT, but you might have actually gotten away with it if you didn't go "Officer, how would I go about robbing that bank". Thanks for stress-testing our worldguard system though!

In lighter news, the end dragon was a blast, I wish i'd gotten screenshots of the actual event but I just have a stairs pic like grimm's, in Quake Pro: http://cdn.calref.ne...sc/d973f488.png

Which Texture Pack is that?

Wait just a second here... (drones made me even think of this)

The stuff located in spawn chests was not free for the taking?

If this is the case, i'll have you informed that that was where i took all the items you might find.

If not, then i am innocent.

If so, then i apologise.

Would the magic launcher work in place of the technik launcher?

Not quite. Even taking into account the large number of mods that you would have to track down and download at the versions the server is using, there's also the matter of the configurations and such that would need to be edited to work with the server. It's much simpler to simply download the technik launcher and locate and download sopris.

If you want to add an additional client mod, such as Optifine, download the mod and manually move the files from the mod into the modpack.jar (not minecraft.jar). In addition, you will need to edit bibliocraft.cfg and edit

B:IsOptifineInstalled=false

to be

B:IsOptifineInstalled=true

This is just for Optifine. For a different client mod, you might need to edit a different (or even the same) config file to make sure there's no compatability issues.

And for everyone: If you want optifine and you can't get it to work, I can put up the modified .jar and .cfg if need be.

Actually, if your client mod supports ModLoader or Forge, drop it in mods/. Easier, plus no need to repatch when an update comes up.

Rowen: Unfortunately, no. However, you could use Technic to download the initial pack, then give Magic Launcher the location of the sopris jar instead (Windows: %APPDATA%/.technic/sopris/bin/minecraft.jar). In a future post I may document how to update easily without the launcher, as well.

• 1 month later...

I have great news, worthy of a double-post bump in General!

The next generation of Sopris was just released, featuring a complete port from 1.5.2 to the glory and radiance of 1.6.4. This means lots of new things!

Also, due to mundo generosity from the playerbase, we've finally collected enough funding to order the parts for the Sopris dedicated server. It should be arriving next week!

I've gathered links to several interesting starter locations for new players in The Almighty Agency of Real Estate (located in the Merchant City of Dukkan) for those who want to get started building bases without having to explore for a suitable location first. Some of them have villages, some feature prebuilt structures stocked with utilities, and some are mostly untouched. Take a look!

Also, our server spawn point is currently uninspiring, but we are working on building it into a fancy Welcome Center. Please bear with us with the understanding that our utilitarian spawn hut is not representative of the level of skill of our playerbase. If you want to see what we're capable of building, check out Xanadu, Dukkan, the Stamp Society, and the various other player bases accessible through the Inception link hub. There's a portal to Inception right at spawn.

Please join us and have fun! (And I know Neb said this already, but to prevent further disaster, I'll repeat it: This server is non-player-vs-player, non-stealing, and non-griefing. It's cooperative in nature, and friendly. The only exception is the Exile map which is designed specifically for PVP.)

Why might we?

EDIT: While I'm posting, I should say that the redesign and reconstruction of the Welcome Center is underway. If you join our server during this time, please have patience. If you need newbie gear, just ask whoever's online. They'll probably give you some stone tools, food, and an iron pick. When the Welcome Center is complete, there will be free newbie equipment there. Thanks!

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff

To be specific, it was answered here. If you want to discuss it more, feel free to PM myself either here, on CalRef, or via AIM (Telaverin). This topic is for a general discussion of the server, not one individual's actions and the consequences thereof. Further posts containing discussion about this specific issue will be removed.

That being said, Sopris will likely undergo downtime Sunday as we transfer over to the new machine.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a momentum thing. Most of us have had the experience of logging in with no one there lately, and it's discouraging us from getting back to it. If I hadn't just started a new job, I'd put together a mini-game to try to renew interest, but as it is I think we'll have to wait on Diki's masterpiece.

I have a minigame on the Sopris server that's ready for a couple trial runs. It's a Capture the Flag game called Creepers vs. Skeletons. It requires 5 or 6 people to play, so let me know when you are available if you want to play.

Dikiyoba also has a 8-player PvP deathmatch called SkyWars or Skyblock Warriors that is ready to play as soon as Sylae imports it into Sopris, so if you like minigames in Minecraft, be sure to bug her (politely!) about it.

Huh, I didn't know Rowen played Minecraft. Welcome aboard!

The best time is Tuesday, March 18 at 8:00 PM Mountain Time (2:00 AM GMT). That's late, but it shouldn't take too long (each round is only five minutes). The time is flexible, so come early if you can and don't worry about being late or not able to make it. We can always use more people, so come if you can.

Dikiyoba.

• 2 months later...

(xpost crf)

As many of you may know, we have been working on a new server, one unlike what we usually do.

This server is a variant of the traditional "factions" server. Two worlds, Efram and Alashgan, compete for limited resources in an ever-cheanging universe. Each player selects what world they will join, and each world chooses their own leadership, rules, and policies.

As such, this server is largely considered an op-free environment. Each city is responsible for maintaining their own peace and safety from both nature and the opposing city. Op-interventions will only occur for spamming, cheating, and other such meta-travesties.

This server uses a modpack, the URL for Technic is http://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/eleren . You can access the server at te.calref.net:25605 (this is pre-programmed into the modpack, however).

It is recommended that each city makes available 'recruitment' threads in the forum, so that new players have ideas for who they would want to play for.

Summary of the new mods:

- Biomes o Plenty - New Biomes. Pretty much like EXBL from Sopris, but more biomes

- Lycanite's Mobs - Adds lots of new mobs. No longer just skeletons and creepers!

- Mapwriter - Rei's Minimap, but newer and better (If you are getting lag and have a bad computer, this is probably the cause. Feel free to disable it)

- Damage Indicators - Health bars for enemies.

The server goes online in 15 minutes!

Edited by sylae
You'll probably want to hop on to crf chat while we're getting started, because words will probably be there most