Wait for remakes?

your call, A2 and A3 use old engine which graphics don't look as good as A6's or The Pit's graphics, if you wait then it'll be quite long wait, Avadon came ~year before The Pit and Avadon 2 comes out later this year so Avernum 2 remake comes out next year (fall again maybe) and then comes Avadon 3 and then Avernum 3 remake so ~3 years wait.

The time between the release of Avadon and A:EftP was actually closer to a half year than a year (end of February 2011 and early-mid December 2011, so 7.5 months). It takes Jeff substantially less time to remake Avernum games than to make new Avadons, since he's already got the writing and area maps (albeit the latter generally see a bit of tweaking).

I've been pondering this as well, because I'm thinking of getting the first trilogy as well. For me, price isn't an issue. $25 for the first three games is extremely cheap. Many clubs charge $10 for entry on a Saturday night. If I go out to eat at a restaurant just for myself I'll usually end up paying $10-15.

I think in the beginning the engine problems will be pretty awkward, but once you get re-used to playing the older games it won't be much of an issue. And it's better than waiting a few years for the remakes. Unless you've got other games and stuff to keep you extremely busy during that waiting period.

—Vexivero, who still believes these games are an extreme bargain. One can pay $10 for a meal that will be over in half an hour, or they can pay $10 for a game that will take 40-50+ hours to complete for only the first playthrough.

I would recommend you to buy the 1st trilogy. It's where the root of Avernum actually started, and I liked Avernum 3 the best. Don't wanna spoil it, but you get to go to the...

Surface...

Plus, I'm Revan.

-----

-Nightwatcher

Well, no. It actually started in Exile, (which is now freeware, if you wanted to check that out. it may not work on newer computers, though) but that's okay. The first Trilogy is still worthwhile having, and it's cheap enough that you're not really losing on out on much if you later decide to get the re-remakes.

It took me about 4 tries to finally get into Nethergate because it just felt so dated. However, once I decided that I simply had to do it, I let the story line take over and thoroughly enjoyed it. After the first hour or so the primitive engine wasn't especially noticeable. It is so different from any other RPG I've ever played, and it is very, very well written.

It took me about 4 tries to finally get into Nethergate because it just felt so dated. However, once I decided that I simply had to do it, I let the story line take over and thoroughly enjoyed it. After the first hour or so the primitive engine wasn't especially noticeable. It is so different from any other RPG I've ever played, and it is very, very well written.

The story and narrative plot compensates for the dated graphics and old engines. Its what maKes all his games unique. Nethergate is one in a kind and is definitely most different than the other games. For gameplay, I like that you can either go combat heavy (Romans), or magic heavy (Celts) in a party of four. It certainly Gives you a different game experience. Too bad it never received the amount of attention as his other games.

The story and narrative plot compensates for the dated graphics and old engines. Its what maKes all his games unique. Nethergate is one in a kind and is definitely most different than the other games. For gameplay, I like that you can either go combat heavy (Romans), or magic heavy (Celts) in a party of four. It certainly Gives you a different game experience. Too bad it never received the amount of attention as his other games.

He could always remake it! Not that he evel will, seeing as remaking Geneforge will last him next two decades.

Nethergate: Resurrection was like a BoE scenario being ported to the BoA world, except for the graphical layout which was already BoA. It was simple and easy enough I imagine.

Any remake of N:R would presumably have the same engine as Avernum 1 EFTP. This would be a massive rewrite not just a simple port, this would take some doing.

N:R storyline is good, you overlook the graphics when you get immersed in the game.

• 1 month later...

You could convert the A3 game content to work in a game that does have 3D format. Someone converted Baldur's Gate 2 to run in the Dragon Age game.

Contents of town and outdoor files is understood by me. But the special nodes are apparently encrypted, found in the program itself? You might need to run this past Jeff too.