A6 - Portal Barracks Gate Won't Open

Thoth

I'm doing a 2-character playthrough, and just cleared out the barracks under the Great Portal to retrieve the papers for Tower Colony. The problem is the gate at the end (just before the two magical barriers) is closed and I can't figure out how to open it. Is there a wheel you need to turn or something to enter this area? I don't remember having this problem the previous time I played the game.

I went there and cleaned out all the enemies before realizing they didn't give the quest. Went back to Tower Colony to get the quest, but the gate was still closed after returning. Not really sure what to do at this point. Is there a script that you can edit? I've seen people mention this sort of thing on these boards, but don't really have any idea how to go about doing that.

• 2 months later...

Bump.

I am experiencing this problem as well; I have the quest, but the gate before the barriers remains closed. Steam version. Has nobody else had this happen to them, because I can't find anything about it other than this thread. Could it be an out-of-order bug (because I also killed the monsters before realising I didn't have the associated quest)?

Regardless of the cause, is there any hackish way of fixing it? Because I forgot the rule about multiple saves in RPGs, alas, so have no earlier save to go back to.

Thanks.

Earth Empires is not, in general, particularly reliable.

I did try to look into this for the relevant flag/special state, but I had an embarrassing problem: I can't actually find the script for underground. The best I could manage is to speculate, based on the way the scripts are set up, that you have to get far enough away that the town's INIT_STATE runs again — this may mean using portals and doing something else for a while, not sure how often A6 refreshes. I'm assuming you've already tried something like that, though, so I'm not sure beyond that.

But, um, as a more general question, anyone know where this script is? I'm seeing the script for the above-ground area (z1111Portal.txt), but not below-ground. Unless they're the same, which doesn't seem right.

from Matt P's walkthrough:

When you've done the portal quest, return to tell Meryhew. She gives you three quests, to help cities around the Great Cave. I'd recommend first trying to help out Gnass, as you then gain access to a trainer who helps significantly. Once you've helped a city, tell Meryhew and collect your per diem, and get Ssem'Ess to open a supply box for you (some minor potions). Once you've completed the other city quests, you can claim a second supply box (healing elixirs and energy elixirs) and per diem. Your next mission is to help out at the great portal. Return when things go wrong. You increase in rank to sergeant, and are give the task to help three more cities. Once you've helped one, return for your per diem. When you've helped two or three, return for a new boss. Don't forget to get your per diem as well. You also get to take the final supply box, getting you some healing elixirs, a knowledge elixir, and an invulnerability elixir.

So try talking to Merywhew. After returning from GP and reporting happenings player gets assigned to Levitt.