Weapon damage in BoA

Skladzien

I have some problems with damage in BoA. After a1 and a2 where you just pick the one with higher dmg i am stuck with strange weapon damage scaling.

How is dmg counted with +x-y/lvl? Weapon description says that it means adding x-y per level of melee and strength. That means:

a) (str+ mel)*(dmg)

or

B) higher of str, mel *(dmg) ?

After all is iron great sword 2-14+(1-7)/lvl or blessed long sword 5-30+(1-6)/lvl better? When my str and mel are low second is better but what when str is 10 and mel is 11?

You're on the right track. Sometimes it pays off to pull out a dusty calculator and punch the numbers through.

For example, 2 - 14 + (1 - 7 per lvl str/dmg), using strength as a factor, it would progress as such:

(Keep in mind, having 30 Str or 30 Melee, is the same, that's why it's good to balance them.)

Str = 10

dmg = 2 - 14 + 10 - 70 = 12 - 84

Str = 20

dmg = 2 - 14 + 20 - 140 = 22 - 154

Str = 30

dmg = 2 - 14 + 30 - 210 = 32 - 324

this is what i've always assumed. Then you just compare it with another weapon:

Str = 10

dmg = 5 - 30 + 10 - 60 = 15 - 90

Str = 20

dmg = 5 - 30 + 20 - 120 = 25 - 150

Str = 30

dmg = 5 - 30 + 30 - 180 = 35 - 210

So there you have it! It tends to be better to have the great sword for damage sake. Although! You should know that a shield has the highest chance of blocking damage other than your armour. In the documentation you can read that Armour has a 90% chance of blocking some damage. So if it says 1 - 10, I assume it means it will block 1 - 10 damage 90% of the time. Shields however have a 80% chance to block damage. So with a shield you end up blocking a lot of damage.

The rest are:

pants = 25%

helm = 35%

gloves = 30%

boots = 30%

cloak = 40%

So keep in mind, especially as a melee unit, you tend to receive more hits than you give out, so it pays off to be covered head to toe with as much armour as possible.

As a side note, I did calculate that you could do 32 - 324 dmg, but I think because of the way it's done (rolling a bunch of dice) you may find that the dmg will average somewhere from 120 - 230 or close to. Even though in theory you could hit a low 32, I think because of how the chance thingo works, you have a 0.01% chance of getting 32, as much as you have a 0.01% chance of getting 324. But the big % hits in the middle somewhere. Not entirely sure how it works, someone might have it figured out though.

Hope I was of some help, good luck!