Ladder & Over-Under bridge Scenario

Gunfulker

I made a ladder. When used it basically makes a slope with a ladder graphic. I made a special action that turns the ladder terrain back into an item that you can carry elsewhere. On the far right of this image you can see that the cliff isn't drawn when there is a slope in front, so I had to add the cliff as part of the ladder graphic. So it looks bad if you don't have the right kind of cliff. Sad day.

Also inside are a couple of debug items that change the elevation of the square you're standing on (like the ladders it these changes won't save when you leave town).

Anyone can use this for anything without giving credit.

m89hrf2.png

There is some chance I'll find a better method (I tried so many different ways already...), if so I'll post it too if I do.

EDIT:

Information about over-under bridge in later post.

• Fixed problem with "put_item_on_spot". When you put a ladder where another ladder is, you end up with only one ladder. Fixed by first placing ladder at (-1,-1) then moving it to appropriate square.
  • Fixed problem preventing one from using ladder where ladder already is (thus loosing ladders)
  • Code cleanup.

new link: http://speedy.sh/2y4hY/climbtime.zip

Nice work! Seeing this made me open up the editor again.

A while ago I had a go at some vaguely similar stuff for climbing, but it required a lot of special rects. If it's alright with you I'll use a slightly modified version of this too (assuming I ever get round to finishing the scenario, which is pretty unlikely).

BoA Characters are getting interesting and intelligent I see. But I can only give one solution...

You should try making the background transparent. Or, use the same cliff texture on the areas you want to use the ladder script. (Say, Ladder script placed on Stone cliffs every time). This may work. But the repetitive texture might make it uninteresting.

Or, you can make the ladder a puzzle object. Make a special encounter which asks for a ladder. Then if the player agrees the condition. It will deduct 1 ladder from the inventory, execute the script, draw the ladder and DONE.

And I suggest not to give freedom to players to use it at their own will. They might goof around with cliffs and your scenario may start glitching up.

You should try making the background transparent.

Anytime a normal hill graphic would obstruct the cliff face from being seen, it won't draw the cliff face. Since the ladder acts as a hill, it doesn't render it, presumably to save a few draw commands as it expects it won't be needed (as in the case of its default uses: stairs and hills).

Make a special encounter which asks for a ladder.

And I suggest not to give freedom to players to use it at their own will.

The goal was to make it maximally open ended and flexible, sort of like lockpicks or piercing crystals with no magical equivalent, or an indoors, limited, Orb of Thralni. Any barrier you absolutely don't want players to climb just needs to be >1 height difference. Or have *any* terrain on the base of the cliff, including little mushrooms or grass sprouts.

Alternatively you can change where it looks for an open square (terrain 0) to look for your custom ladder friendly terrain. Just don't forget to change it to leave your terrain behind when the ladder is removed. Then all you have to do is put your custom terrains where you want ladders used, preferably only in towns with matching cliff graphics.

Next idea... Breakable window that allerts enemies or angers towns people, passable once broken. Or openable window that is potentially trapped. Maybe a three way option, like locked doors, Break, Open, Leave.

The red line outlines a path it is possible to take, no script involved. Basically along the top of the "bridge" there's a graphic with a substantial x/y offset that patches the jagged edge making it look more bridge-like. With a guard rail and a better floor texture it would make a pretty convincing bridge. It is limited to diagonal single square bridges of any length.

The one on the right looks a little cleaner. You might want to make it obvious for your players that they can go under the first few times they encounter it. No credit nessicary, not that I'm not taking credit, someone's probably done this before.

IeZ28JW.png237f12V.png

(The bridges are just north of the starting location)

Okay, let me give you some quick steps:

1. Change the floor texture

2. Make railing texture

3. Breakable window sounds good. I will make it for you. Only the NW and NE textures.

4. Make the bridge more big in my opinion.

5. Draw sea under it

6. Why wood, make your ladder steel and give a supporting beam to the middle, it would look real that way.

Tell me which kind of material you want to have the window in?

Okay, let me give you some quick steps:

1. Change the floor texture

2. Make railing texture

It is intended as a template for others to make such bridges, thats why I use the very square-ish floor textures. I can't anticipate how others want their bridge to look.

3. Breakable window sounds good. I will make it for you. Only the NW and NE textures.

LIU6wAO.png

Something I threw together really quick before I got bored with the idea and made bridges instead.

4. Make the bridge more big in my opinion.

I can't, this is why:

fi7xLqX.png

The numbers are elevations. The one on the left is what I'm doing, its impossible if the bridge is any wider and it still works to go under.

5. Draw sea under it

Thats simple, just replace the floor with water. Players can walk under it, so they can boat under it too.

6. Why wood, make your ladder steel and give a supporting beam to the middle, it would look real that way.

Because steel ladders are really heavy. Aluminum, which metal ladders are usually made of, wasn't practical to refine until the industrial use of electricity, before which pure aluminum was almost more valuable then gold because of how hard it was to purify. Also wood seems more adventurous and the other people are capable of editing my monochrome ladders to look however they please.

Wait, what kind of texture is this, diagonal marble? And, the diagonal blocks have gaps inside them.

The gaps are required or else the players could not walk under the bridge. If anything the gaps should be larger.

Why do you need a bridge which allows players to go through it? Give me an example.

If you want players to go THROUGH things, make a gem of ghosting. (Debug special and ghost mode)

Its a bridge you can go under and you actually go under it, like an actual bridge that isn't just a flat strip of planks on the surface of the water that your boat levitates over while you imagine you're safely far below. Like an actual bridge, it can be completely blocked with enemies, but you can still go under it, because you're literally in a different location then the bridge is, because you're under it.

t9NzXRi.png

Why wouldn't you want to be able to go under a bridge? Look at that boat resting peacefully on top of the bridge and tell me it looks better then sqeezing through a gap.