Dosbox question

jerrynsteph4eva

Hello! My name is Jerry and I'm new to the spiderweb forums and was hoping you could help me with a problem I'm having.

So thanks to the recent Humble Bundle, I've been playing the Avernum games and they're quite amazing. However, I grew up playing the shareware versions of Exile 1, 2 and 3 (I always wanted to register but I didn't have the money back then) and came to the site looking to purchase the games. Amazingly, they were free so I downloaded them only to find out that my 64 bit win 7 won't run them. So long story short, I got Windows 3.1 installed on Dosbox and the games work smoothly (aside from some flickering). However, as I go to load my save file, it immediately shuts down to a black screen that I can't get out of (unless I stop Dosbox and reload it). I thought it was just because I was playing Exile 1, but it also happens on the other versions of Exile. Is there a way to fix this or should I start looking for my Windows 95 cd so I can create a virtual drive? Thanks.

I have found a better virtual machine that works very nicely on win 7

https://www.virtualbox.org/

This is freeware. You can load any type of OS you may have a license to. Currently on my WIn7 32-bit, I have one VM with Ubuntu Linux and another with Win XP.

Win 98 will install in here perfectly fine too.

Enjoy!

Ty changing the output setting in the dosbox config file. For myself I found that the surface and overlay outputs had a tendency to cause problems, while the openlnb output seemed to work best for me.

The problem with using virtualbox is that you can't scale up the screen resolution. With dosbox you can set the scaler setting to "normal2x forced" letting you play the game in 1280x960 resolution, which makes a rather big difference on large monitors.

I've seen tutorials for installing Windows 3.1 and 95 in DOSBox, but I never knew it could be done for Win98/98SE. Cool!

You are still in DOSBOX with Win 95? Awesome! I had read that it could be done, but had not tried it.
I've heard that until the NTFS kernel was developed, Windows at its core was basically a shell over DOS. Therefore, installing an old version of Windows in DOSBox shouldn't be surprising.

I also run WinXP in VirtualBox, and it works great in that environment. I use it to play the Exile trilogy, BoX, and most of the Avernum and Geneforge series. Too bad Microsoft plans to stop supporting WinXP shortly, if they haven't already; it was one of their better OSes.

The fastest OS I've ever used in VirtualBox was Win98. After the initial install, it booted in about 7 seconds flat.