Can't run first Avernum Trilogy from Humble Bundle

Avernite #651

Hi

I downloaded the First Avernum Trilogy from Humble Bundle a few days ago. But I can't seem to play it. I'm using Macs and have tried it on 10.7 (which I know wouldn't work but tried anyway), 10.4, OS 9 using an emulator and even on an old computer still running OS 9.

I've been able to play Avernum before and even now when I download a demo from the Spiderweb Software website I can run it. The files I got from Humble Bundle comes in a zip which extracts to three .app files (InstallAvernum1.app for example). That's when I hit a dead end as these files can't seem to be opened.

I'm wondering if anyone else had got a copy from Humble Bundle and if they got theirs working.

I had luck downloading the windows version and getting wineskin to allow it to run on OSX 10.8.

Could you let me know how you did it? I tried doing that but when I play the game, the screen is black unless I put another window over it and it sort of refreshes to whatever menu is on. I have to do that whenever I select something. =(

I had luck downloading the windows version and getting wineskin to allow it to run on OSX 10.8.

Does that mean you also couldn't get the Mac version working?

Could you let me know how you did it? I tried doing that but when I play the game, the screen is black unless I put another window over it and it sort of refreshes to whatever menu is on. I have to do that whenever I select something. =(

I had that problem when using Wineskin for another game. I forgot how I solved it but it took a while. I was probably just playing around with the settings till it worked.

This is a problem to contact Jeff about: support@spidweb.com. Maybe Humble Bundle support as well?

—Alorael, who can at least try to comfort you with the fact that Jeff is very good about making sure people who buy his games can play them. Making it work with Humble Bundle might be trickier, but it should happen.