Geneforge 1-3 extremely sluggish (XP 32 bit, Steam versions)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic
ahninjascantrememberpasswords ahninjascantrememberpasswords

New Arrival

• Member ID: 10,001
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:19 PM #1 Geneforge 1-3 extremely sluggish (XP 32 bit, Steam versions)

I've run the stand alone versions of Geneforge 1 and 2 on XP just fine in the past. When the entire series came to Steam, I decided to get the whole set. However, these versions of the games run at a less than satisfactory pace, with Geneforge 3 being especially slow. Moving the mouse around is jumpy in that "system playing catch up" sort of way, and bringing up the menu takes around 20 seconds, and basically hangs my system until it appears. I don't have access to my registered stand alone copies of 1 and 2 anymore, so that's a bust. Strangely, the title screens function just fine, it's only when I get in to the game proper that the problems appear.

4 and 5, on the other hand, run just fine, but I'd like to play the games in order.

Nim Nim

Shaman

• Member ID: 6,802
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:24 AM #2 Geneforge 1-3 extremely sluggish (XP 32 bit, Steam versions)

http://spiderwebforu...m/#entry232161
This works for G1-3 and A4.

ahninjascantrememberpasswords ahninjascantrememberpasswords

New Arrival

• Member ID: 10,001
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:01 AM #3 Geneforge 1-3 extremely sluggish (XP 32 bit, Steam versions)

Ka-effing-boom. The games now run smooth as silk. I looked through the forums for topics about Geneforge, but didn't look in threads labeled Avernum.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,881 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:53 AM #4 Geneforge 1-3 extremely sluggish (XP 32 bit, Steam versions)

The search function here is near useless even if you know the exact topic name.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software.  Please leave any remaining sanity at the door.  Then you can find it when you finish looking for something here.  :)
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Nim Nim

Shaman

• Member ID: 6,802
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:28 AM #5 Geneforge 1-3 extremely sluggish (XP 32 bit, Steam versions)

This issue probably deserves a sticky, I had difficulty finding the post and I knew what I was looking for.

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:06 AM #6 Geneforge 1-3 extremely sluggish (XP 32 bit, Steam versions)

View PostNim, on 06 July 2013 - 04:28 AM, said:

This issue probably deserves a sticky, I had difficulty finding the post and I knew what I was looking for.
Done.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

x3meblue x3meblue

New Arrival

• Member ID: 14,876
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:35 PM #7 Geneforge 1-3 extremely sluggish (XP 32 bit, Steam versions)

I followed the instructions and while Geneforge 1 runs smooth the most time, there are some scenes (like in the first city, near the guards) where i experienced some lag (scrolling with mouse or arrow keys). I am on 64 bit Windows 10, with an Intel HD 3000.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,881 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:02 PM #8 Geneforge 1-3 extremely sluggish (XP 32 bit, Steam versions)

Sometimes the game slows down when it has lots of moving NPCs and creations in the zone.  Jeff admits he isn't the best programmer and his code isn't the most efficient way to use the CPU for heavy graphics usage.  This isn't a consistent problem and you sometimes see it other games for autosave or combat with a large number of monsters.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

x3meblue x3meblue

New Arrival

• Member ID: 14,876
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:01 PM #9 Geneforge 1-3 extremely sluggish (XP 32 bit, Steam versions)

Ok, then i know that this is a normal issue and not a problem with my system. Thanks!
But i must admit, that "heavy graphics usage" made me smile a bit! Thanks for that, too. :)

cremornagainagain cremornagainagain

Citizen

• Member ID: 7,348
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:13 PM #10 Geneforge 1-3 extremely sluggish (XP 32 bit, Steam versions)

This is so great! Thank you!

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• Member ID: 16,946
  • 659 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:19 PM #11 Geneforge 1-3 extremely sluggish (XP 32 bit, Steam versions)

I brought a friend of mine to the fold, told him to get the demos (they're enough to get one hooked) and he tells me he can't run them because of the screen resolution.
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia

GF5 mod with extra quest chain here!  Discover who you are and set up your base.

"Ohhh, no! No, it's so close! So close!" - Blxz, ambushed by an Unbound

Triumph Triumph

Wrapped in Light

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 6,248
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:53 AM #12 Geneforge 1-3 extremely sluggish (XP 32 bit, Steam versions)

...but it's possible to change the screen resolution. In fact, a pop-up from the game prompts you to change resolution when you start. Does your friend not get that pop-up? Or not have the ability to change screen resolution at all for some reason?

"Dikiyoba didn't know what to say for your negatives, Triumph. Dikiyoba supposes you must just be that awesome." - Dikiyoba
"Triumph == Santa Claus? This explains... nothing." - Dintiradan
"Per usual, Triumph said it better." - Slarty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users