Draining in Avernum 2

I repeat: in Avernum 2 they have drained stats from my chars, once, every one in the party was drained for one point of intelligence, don´t remember if anything else.... most probably points of endurance too in other occasions. So they suck your mind and body. To "undead you". I don´t know if other stats are drained, the more noticeable are those two as it´s shown in the bars you have less points after the show.

Since i had realized draining it´s working here, (more a pain in the ass was like in Mordor, or Demise Rise of the Kut´an), i put a wall of pets between the drainers and my party members, attacking from a distance... the "turn undead" spell here does little to those... :eek:

Dread Curse doesn't reduce stat values, it just reduces the effective level in stats in calculations. There might be a handful of special encounters that can drain stats in the Avernum series like there are in Geneforge games, but it's certainly not common. Attacks can only drain small amounts of experience.

—Alorael, who would also note that dumbfounding can cause loss of spellcasting ability. That's not the same as draining touch, though.

That should not be happening, it's a bug! Stats are never affected by anything except a Dread Curse, which will show up in the main abilities screen.

I can't imagine what kind of bug would cause that and never be reported by anyone else until now, in all the years that the game has been out. I think it's more likely that Ohsky is seeing something like a Mung Demon's spell-point-drain effect, which only reduces spell points temporarily.

And the graphic of a mung demon is?, yet i still remember some members of my party had 5 intelligence each and they were left with 4. Nothing temporary, no dread curse, only undeads....

Speaking of draining, do you really want to see how much a pain in the ass could be in a game where there aren´t any previous savegames to go back if you fail?, check this video i recorded years ago:

some items increase intelligence (and other stats) so could be that.

when I played Mordor (less candy version of Demise) I always copied savegames to other place when party (after a while playing I splitted party of 4 to 2 x party of 2) visited in town in that case I encounter stat drainers (somewhat often) so only loss were gold (had (actually still have but haven't played game since ......) plenty of that), exp (easy to get) and some items (nothing spectacular usually).

I dont have any items that modify stats. Not that they are shown to do that explicitly, but they "affect" my accuracy in ways unexplained, Bracelets and rings.

Demise is Mordor 3. In demise if you wanted to cheat like that, you had to copy the entire game to another place, then overwrite it if you failed. I rarely used that, was less amusing. What´s good about Demise, it´s that you pay for your mistakes.

Do you have an older save from before the draining? I'd bet that you're misremembering your stats and they never were higher.

—Alorael, who plays Angband, and like other roguelikes it has no reloading old saves unless you cheat and back up the files. And experience drain is a common, infuriating problem, although you can also reverse the drain so it isn't permanent. Still, he's relatively okay with drain in a game that's arbitrarily long and that contains an arbitrary amount of total stats/experience. In something like Avernum getting drained is truly crippling or at least would be if the drains weren't so negligibly small.

I bet im not misremembering those stats. But let´s leave it at that, what i had learned from that is to stay far away from drainers while in combat. :ph34r:

Knowledge brews helps get past that, though as you can buy an unlimited amount of them and there is plenty of money, it makes you maybe a little overpowered in the end. Obviously you can play without using them if you want a harder challenge, is like canisters in geneforge. Temptationnnn.....