A Newcomer Tries to Play the Avernum Trilogy

Okay, I figured since it was cheap, I'd buy the Avernum Trilogy and play it. Note, I have never played any Avernum game before, even the second Trilogy. So I'm an inexperience player running into an unknown world. My spiderweb adventures have always revolved around Geneforge and the world of the Shapers. So I am quite eager to run into surprises since every Spiderweb game has them.

And because this Avernum forum hardly receive attention anymore, I'll go ahead and bring in a little excitement by sharing my experiences as I play along in this "unknown" world of Avernum. We are beginning with Avernum 1. First, I'll start with the character creation:

I've decided to start with the default characters instead of making my own custom. The only exception is I changed my Rebel into a Rogue since the rogue has more tool use. I didn't allocate any skill points yet. I will do that later in the game once I've got an idea what its like. So really the only thing I did so far was read the Intro, and explore Fort Avernum. I talked with people, learned more about what the underworld is like, and stole some stuff. Also, I came to the realization that even stealing "one" item gets the entire town mad at you. So i guess its not like Geneforge where you can steal maybe one or two items and people don't mind :crazy: . Yep, so I know to be careful when I want to be a thief. :). Appearantly I have lots more to learn.

So at this point, my characters are outside the gates of Fort Avernum getting ready to travel to Silvar. Let us all hope the roads treat up fairly ;) . Until next time everyone.

~RainbowDashRadical

P.S. I'd like to mention one more thing. I'm found it quite tedious with the movement with this game. Using the arrow keys is very annoying...it appears the characters are moving diagonally instead of strait. And its hard to walk through doors and stuff. So, I've been using the mouse and even that is hard. as they start walking to fast. Can anyone resolve this problem?

While I haven't played the first three Avernum games to completion, I love the Avernum series just as much as Geneforge, but for different reasons. Geneforge I love for the themes and ideas sure, but Avernum? For Avernum it's the setting. The entire realm of Avernum, being able to revisit people and places in later games, seeing what is the same and what has changed, the actual location... for me that's what I love.

It's been a very long time since I tried the first either way. I can't provide much info beyond to say "Be glad to have multiple party members that can carry stuff". In general I remember always organizing who carried what. The cleric carried books and the like, the mage carried scrolls and wands, and the warrior and Rebel carried all the merchant crap, with the Warrior tending to carry quest items and potions and the like.

The movement could be slowed if you run the game through DosBox. If it can be run though that, though; so you can adjust the cycles for the game to go slower. I don´t have any problems with the movement as it is, though it´s obviously worse than latter Spiderweb Games.

As you are new to that Series, don´t be discouraged by it´s difficultity, tone it down whenever neccesary without shame so you get used to the game and finally you will enjoy the experience.

P.S. I'd like to mention one more thing. I'm found it quite tedious with the movement with this game. Using the arrow keys is very annoying...it appears the characters are moving diagonally instead of strait. And its hard to walk through doors and stuff. So, I've been using the mouse and even that is hard. as they start walking to fast. Can anyone resolve this problem?

You can use this program to change the keyboard behavior, or you can use a keyboard with a numpad. As for mouse movement, your characters move two spaces with a left-click and one space with a right-click. This doesn't apply in the later games. Starting with A2, you move one space with a left-click and look with a right-click.

Thanks for the link Tyranicus. That helps a lot. And thanks to the guy who made it :) . Anyway, I will have an update on my progress for you guys by morning. I'm still trying out Geneforge 5 and what not. Its almost done though, and I will just say it was my weakest one...I don;t really know why, I guess I'm not comfortable with the servile :confused: .

Anyway, thanks for comments everyone.

~RainbowDashRadical

Okay, I didn't get to far this morning, mainly because there's lots of stuff to do today. However, I managed to talk to more people in Fort Silvar and Fort Duvno. So here are my insights and experiences at both towns (I'm being brief here):

I was not too impressed with Fort Silvar. There really wasn't much to do here, other than talk to people and train. And the training...well I was kinda sad to know that I have to pay coins to train my skills. Not to mention that the starting points I would've trained for free. But I "had" to wait :mad: . So yeah...that's a a disappointment. Though fortunately Warrick's sister is right here in Silvar, so I turned in that quest. And I even learned something interesting. This strange sword called DemonSlayer. Apparently there's a genuine one out there. No one spoil anything for me, I wouldn't appreciate it. I'd like to discover it myself :) . Oh, and lastly I talked to Jay. I might recruit him later to see if he has better stats than my starting characters. I didn't have the 100 coins, since i sent all of them buying equipment.

Fort Duvno was a bit more interesting, at least i could gather quests here. So that's what I did. I gathered the quests to kill bandits and kill Nephilim. And I talked to people such as the Sage, and the preist, and some merchants.

So as of now, I am standing outside the gates of the Bandit Fort. I don't know how many bandits I'll have to kill, but I will kill every single last one :p. Until next time everyone...

You might be more used to the newer engine, in which case Avernum: Escape from the Pit would be easier to get into the Avernum world.

If I played that first, I'm afraid I'd never get into the old classics then. :blush: Besides, I'm sure it would be a long, looong time before the other 2 are re-written. I might as well play these, since I have all three at hand.

~RainbowDashRadical

Edited by RainbowDashRadical

Hello again. Sorry it took me so long to update. Because, well I haven't really gotten that far. Busy on other things, and haven't had much time for Avernum. However, I did managed to kill the entire Bandit Fort. It was quite challenging really. Mainly becuase I'm still adjusting to the different combat system. It is very different indeed from Geneforge. However, I have a good deal of money now, and better armor. Those bandits dropped a lot of stuff. There is one thing I don't like about the "outdoors" part of the game. When you go into combat, and then you finished cleaning up the bad-guys, you have to either pick up the stuff they dropped, or if you don't its gone forever. It kinda sucks too, because I had a full bag on the way to Duvno :( . Oh well, just gotta keep that in mind for now on.

Well, not too much this time, though I will try to have more for you guys the next update. Now, onto the Nephilim Fort. ;)

~RainbowDashRadical