An anniversary of sorts

Aran

(Just realized I missed it by two weeks, but no matter.)

As of May 14, it's been over ten years since I joined Spiderweb. That's three US elections, as many Harry Potter novels, and one LotR movie, Doctor Who relaunch and Facebook founding each. In fact, it's only a few years from half the world wide web's entire lifetime!

This was a different place, too. I sometimes feel a bit of nostalgia for the old days, but more than that I admire the ways in which it has matured.

Only a handful of posters from that time are still a regular presence, though many will still drop in when you least expect it. Thousands of others have come and gone in the meantime, and many (I'd count, but this ain't a stats topic) came to stay and now form the core of this community.

In real life, my network has completely changed at least twice since then, and this is probably the most constant circle of friends I've had outside my own family. I was in high school when I came here, and you've contributed to my upbringing in more ways than I'm probably even aware of (or would care to admit). All of you are pretty awesome, and I have really enjoyed spending my time here (and will continue to do so, this ain't a goodbye topic either). Thanks for everything!

Anyway, that's enough speechifying and reminiscing and stuff from me.

To another ten! :)

You can't say "another ten" without even giving one, so here's my contribution to this thread:

tumblr_ljuco5uLYz1qcrhtio1_500.jpg

Thanks for consistently being one of my favourite members, for being the first spiderwebber I befriended, and, above all, for a great ten years.

The combination of "_ more years" and David Tennant reminded me of

I'm over 5 years at this point. Uggh, I'm so sold.

I don't want to go. :(

(I just made another attempt at watching that scene without misting up. Zero for five so far.)

Also, I was ready for him to go. I may get shot out of a cannon for saying this, but he got really whiny for the last few episodes.

It's a very strange feeling when you've been part of this community longer than almost any other community, isn't it? I've had some friends for longer than I've been here, but not many. I've lived in some places and had some particular hobbies for longer, but not many. Spiderweb has been lurking somewhere in my mind for a very long time.

Anyway, Aran, it's been nice to have you for ten years.

—Alorael, who shudders to think what ten more years of this could do to the mind. It's fluffy turtles and insider-oldbie memes all the way down.

Almost 11 years being registered, more like 12 since starting as a lurker. More than half of my life.

Being in and out means not integrating in the community here, but this is still the only place I've visited repeatedly for more than a couple years.

This is a special place also because I grew up with it; this was my most significant introduction to the internet, etc.

Can't count

Edited by stranger