Leveling up creations

Phitt

Hi! I've recently started to play Geneforge 5 (have the Geneforge Saga and wanted to try the most polished one to see how I like it) and I love it so far. One thing I'm wondering though is what leveling up creations is good for. When my creations level up they get 2 skill points I can spend, but I still have to pay essence for the additional skill points. Seems a bit pointless to me. I could simply create a creation with as many skill points as I want after all. Is there anything I'm missing? Or is it completely useless?

Also, how exactly do the shaping skills work? The description says they increase the level of my creations. What does that mean? More hp, more power when I create them? Will this apply retroactively (eg if I increase my fire shaping skill, will my existing Roamer gain levels)?

If you are playing a Shaper, then you want to have several levels in a single shaping type to make more powerful creations. More levels in a shaping type and levels of the creation type give it a higher starting level which means more hp, better to hit, and harder to be hit.

You need more levels in a shaping class to make the higher tier creations within that class. However later in the game you can find items and craft them to give you levels in the shaping classes.

You need 3 levels in the creation type to make the higher level version (+ sign in the lower right corner of the creation image) when making creations. For instance 3 levels of fyora lets you make a cryoa instead.

As creations gain experience they gain levels to be more powerful. It's usually not worth putting in extra essence to use those 2 skill points per level. More creations that are less powerful is usually better than a few powerful ones.

There is a debate about keeping leveled up creations or replacing them with new higher tier creations. The main problem with lower tier creations is that they are more susceptible to mental attacks like terror.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. The next poster will disagree with everything I told you. :)

Haha, thanks for the answers and the welcome!

I'm playing as a warrior with fire creations backing him up. So I put most of my points into strength, intelligence, melee and fire shaping. Plus a good amount in dexterity, endurance and quick action and some healing craft and mechanics. The rest of the skills I leave more or less alone (put some into leadership, but I figured I couldn't have everything so I decided not to increase further).

So if I understand you right my creations will gain additional benefits when they level up even if I don't spend those 2 skill points?

And if I have a higher shaping level and my creations start on a higher level, will they also cost more essence or will I get better creations for 'free'?

Finally, does all of this apply retroactively? If I already have a fire creation and increase my fire shaping skill by a few points, would it be better to create the same creation again to have a higher level version of it (assuming the existing creation didn't level up a lot already)? Or will existing creations automatically gain benefits when I increase the appropriate shaping skill?

So if I understand you right my creations will gain additional benefits when they level up even if I don't spend those 2 skill points?

Correct. Creations gain 1 point in each stat every 2 levels automatically, even if you don't invest any skill points into them.

And if I have a higher shaping level and my creations start on a higher level, will they also cost more essence or will I get better creations for 'free'?

Nope, no extra cost. Free bonus levels and stats for you.

Finally, does all of this apply retroactively? If I already have a fire creation and increase my fire shaping skill by a few points, would it be better to create the same creation again to have a higher level version of it (assuming the existing creation didn't level up a lot already)? Or will existing creations automatically gain benefits when I increase the appropriate shaping skill?

Unfortunately, the bonus levels are given out at the time of creation and not applied retroactively to existing creations. However, you can also use this to your advantage: you can put on pieces of equipment that raise your Shaping skills when you want to make a creation, and then swap the equipment out for gear with better combat benefits once the creation has been made.

Whether you should keep an old creation or absorb it for a new one after raising your Shaping skill depends on how many levels it's gained since you created it. Every point of the appropriate Shaping skill gives +1 level to new creations, so if the creation has gained 3 levels in the time it's taken you to raise your Shaping skill by 2 points, then the old one that you've levelled up will be better. But if it's only gained 2 levels and you've raised your Shaping skill by 3 points since you made it, then you should reabsorb it and make a new one. Of course, that's assuming you're sticking with the same creation type: if you're thinking of swapping out a levelled-up old creation for a different kind of creation, there are more factors to consider.